Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore PCB 9/13

Figured I would post a report since their haven't been many recently. Took some friends out Saturday for a few hours. Seas were actually great as the forecast predicted. It was their first time offshore in the 2 years that they've lived here. Headed about 15 miles west. Did fairly well for the day considering the spotty thunderstorms. Caught multiple porgies, mingos, a few NICE snaps, some small scamp, and our first decent gag (been trying all summer for grouper). Came in at about 13lbs. Sorry this is the only pic we took.

imagejpg1_zpsb65dc14e.jpg

There was a moment where I was baffled. What's your opinion? When we hooked up on the gag we battled it for a solid 20 or 25 mins. It ran a little ways once hooked and then we couldn't really budge it for say 20 mins. We just held solid pressure on the rod. Could still feel the fish on the line and I swore it was a shark by the way it ran and then held up. Is it possible it holed up and we couldn't pull it out until it just gave up? While holding the fish would occasionally make a little run and then we would gain a little on him. Eventually it seemed like he just gave up (or he became freed from the structure) and came on up to the boat. I'm still baffled as to what actually happened. Seemed that a 13lb fish would have been a lot "easier" to get up a lot sooner.

Replies

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Congrats!

I would say that the fish was either rocked or depending on what kind of rig you're using, your line/lead could have been rocked. Was your line frayed?
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    Sounds like a nice trip & good looking gag.

I'm no expert by any means, but I bet he holed up on you. I've had that happen before where the fish just wouldn't budge. However, we gave it a little slack line & then it immediately came "free" and we put pressure back on it and finally got it in. So, a little bit different than your scenario. Never had one we held pressure on for that long. For a fish that size it shouldn't have taken 20 min......that's why I think it holed up on you. IMO

Livin' the Dream !
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. I'm pretty confident that's what happened. The leader was chafed about a foot above the hook.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,663 Moderator
    Good job on putting a grouper in the boat! And a good sized one at that.

That a new boat?
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • MOBassMOBass Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    My experience with a stalemate on a fish...

Hooked up, fish made a hard run for the bottom and I snubbed him short. Made progress and then things just stopped. Gain a tiny bit, give it back. Head shakes, but not really pulling drag. After a good while I finally started palming the spool and gaining line a crank or two at a time. Suddenly slack line and I was bummed....and then the rod loaded up again! Looked down and it was a big AJ at color. Made quick work from there and upon pulling the fish over the side I noticed green line trailing from fish back into the water. 80 yards of pulling and the weight and leader of someones rig comes over the side. Sadly no rod attached at the other end when I pulled it up.

While a long shot someones broken line snagged on the bottom could have been your stalemate culprit.
    Thanks folks. PH80, nope same boat I've had all year. It is new though
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,663 Moderator
    Thought you had an old Mako for some reason. Either way, lose that ugly "G".and it'll be a great boat. ;-)
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    I knew you would mention the "G"! Go dawgs!
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Love the Dawgs and the gags