Gillnet

Hey guys,
I feel compelled to send this information out to all of you regardless of whether your a recreational fisherman or commercial fisherman.

I finally got a day of work this past Tuesday and decided to get in on some of the great Redfish action happening along the East Wall. After arriving at one of my spots and fishing for maybe 5 minutes I received a phone call from a concerned fisherman stating that there was a huge net in the water just off of Hobbs island. For those of you not familiar with Hobbs, its approximately a 1/2 mile or so south of Pirate Harbor and 1 1/2 miles north of Burnt Store Marina. When I got there it turned out to be a 1500 ft by 4 ft monofilament gillnet - 6000 sq ft. The net contained nearly 500 fish (Reds, Snook, Trout, Pompano, Flounder, Snapper, Skates, Spadefish, Catfish) and 125 -135 sharks (Bulls, Bonnet heads, Spinners)and took 4 1/2 hours for three of us to remove and destroy.

We donated what we could to Peace River Wildlife Refuge and the rest was destroyed.

Without getting into anymore detail I just wanted to make you guys aware that these nets are out there (this is the second in the last three weeks that I know of) and to be careful as they are not usually marked very well.

Replies

• stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 893 Officer
    Good on you. That is a terrible thing.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    X2 , But question . Are you the Law ? I would be real worried about transporting those fish by boat if I didn't have a badge !!!!!

I would have called FWC
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,076 Admiral
    BD27 wrote: »
    X2 , But question . Are you the Law ? I would be real worried about transporting those fish by boat if I didn't have a badge !!!!!

I would have called FWC

Yeah, im a marine unit officer for a local department. FWC was notified and assisted
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Well Done :applause
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Thank you for putting some of the dead fish to good use. I hope you officers can find who is setting this illegal gear....
  • NedNed Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I hope the people that did this get stuck in a net underwater one day....