Home Egret Boats

yamaha F70 on egret 167?

FreshFresh Posts: 22 Greenhorn
Guys - looking to repower a 167 with a smaller HP option. I see on egrets website that the yamaha F70 is an option. Does anyone have experience with this engine combo and performance? I mainly fish the indian/mosquito lagoons poling/fishing shallow so not a lot of speed needed and want to minimize draft/boat weight. I understand speed will be 30-35mph at most.

Many thanks for opinions

Replies

• Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I dont have the F70, but I do have an Etec 90 on mine and I like it. I get about 7 mpg and top speed of 43.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Fresh wrote: »
    Guys - looking to repower a 167 with a smaller HP option. I see on egrets website that the yamaha F70 is an option. Does anyone have experience with this engine combo and performance? I mainly fish the indian/mosquito lagoons poling/fishing shallow so not a lot of speed needed and want to minimize draft/boat weight. I understand speed will be 30-35mph at most.

Many thanks for opinions

If you're also using the boat as a tender on a larger vessel where you transport it on the foredeck and need to keep the weight to a minimum, get the 70. Otherwise get a 90.

We tried with a 50 and that wasn't enough. A 70 would push it but it was not what we were use to, the 90 was the best all around fit. (these test were with 2 stroke motors) Good Luck... Pete
  • FreshFresh Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    ok, sounds like I need to lean toward a 90 or 115. I currently have an old 1997 johnson 115 and only get 44mph top end so I guess a 90 etec is comparable to the old technology. Does the Etec 90 have good reputation? I know some of the larger etecs have a bad rap.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Fresh wrote: »
    ok, sounds like I need to lean toward a 90 or 115. I currently have an old 1997 johnson 115 and only get 44mph top end so I guess a 90 etec is comparable to the old technology. Does the Etec 90 have good reputation? I know some of the larger etecs have a bad rap.

Horsepower is horsepower regradless of the technology. Your boat was designed around a 287lbs outboard. Find the outboard today the weighs in as close as possible to that with the highest horsepower. But under 130 horsepower and you'll be ok. It's all about the weights and balance if you want the boat to achive it's optimum draft.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Horsepower is horsepower regradless of the technology. Your boat was designed around a 287lbs outboard. Find the outboard today the weighs in as close as possible to that with the highest horsepower. But under 130 horsepower and you'll be ok. It's all about the weights and balance if you want the boat to achive it's optimum draft.

That advice is spot on in my humble opinion. Hole shot, cruise speed, weight carrying etc = max HP per pound. Mileage will be crazy good no matter what you choose. Send pictures once it is hung!