Owner vs Trokar vs VMC

NedNed Posts: 44 Deckhand
I have tried all 3 hooks, I love owner hooks for some reason but I tend to loose fish on them, so I started using VMC, but haven't really have to many chances to use them with live bait on the gulf coast. I always use circle hooks, and don't set the hook like a J hook. But trokar has my attention. Has anyone used all 3 and have a favorite? I really love owners hooks but I can't really say why when I haven't caught **** on em.

Replies

• RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    I have always used Gamakatsu circle hooks, about 15 years now. I used Owner Hooks a bit, and thought they were a bit sharper but also seemed more expensive. Gamakatsu has great hooks, very sharp, and last a long time. They are pricey but I rarely lose fish once hooked, I do lose a lot of bites, but that is probably my bad timing or impatience.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,881 Admin
    I started using VMC simply because they now sell them at the marina I keep my boat at. I like them and used them during tarpon and red snapper season. Out of roughly 50 hooks (# 5 -#7) I broke two of them and obviously lost the fish. I don't know why they broke or if it was an anomaly but I am now gun shy to buy me again. Anyone else break a VMC?
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor

• NedNed Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I started using VMC simply because they now sell them at the marina I keep my boat at. I like them and used them during tarpon and red snapper season. Out of roughly 50 hooks (# 5 -#7) I broke two of them and obviously lost the fish. I don't know why they broke or if it was an anomaly but I am now gun shy to buy me again. Anyone else break a VMC?

Wow that's the first I have heard of a VMC breaking. Was it a huge fish of maybe just a bad hook?
  • NedNed Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Robpelot wrote: »
    I have always used Gamakatsu circle hooks, about 15 years now. I used Owner Hooks a bit, and thought they were a bit sharper but also seemed more expensive. Gamakatsu has great hooks, very sharp, and last a long time. They are pricey but I rarely lose fish once hooked, I do lose a lot of bites, but that is probably my bad timing or impatience.

What size Gama hooks do you use, say im using a 2 pound mullet or even a finger mullet. They are super pricey, but I know you get what you pay for
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,881 Admin
    Ned wrote: »
    Wow that's the first I have heard of a VMC breaking. Was it a huge fish of maybe just a bad hook?

They where significant sized bottom fish, simply broke the wire.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor

• ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 438 Deckhand
    i like owner hooks and mustad
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    I use Gama or Owner. Trokar prices are outta control
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,875 Captain
    I use Gama or Owner. Trokar prices are outta control

^^^This. I can't believe how expensive they are. Must be all the advertising dollars they spend. :grin
  • Joupdog1Joupdog1 Posts: 1,416 Officer

I had a VMC 2/0 circle break on a big snook this past summer. Had to put the brakes on the fish with 50 lb braid to stop it from getting in a dock and turned it. Almost had it to the net when the hook broke just below the barb. I still use them because I love the amount of hooks you get for the price and thats the only problem I've ever had with VMCs.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,773 Admiral
    Eagle Claw works just fine.

Do you guys also have YETI coolers?
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 554 Officer
    I broke a 8/0 gama last month, and have had mustads straighten out. Always when locking down the drag wile bottom fishing. Recently bought some VMC's, but looks like they have issues as well lol. It just seems like you need to have a thicker hook, but not always the best option with certain live baits.
    For whitebait I use a 2/0-3/0 hook depending on the size. For pinfish, I usually use the 3/0, and for cut bait the 3/0.

tarpon, I use 4-6/0 depending on the size of the crabs. And 5/0 for large threadfins. I have not fished with big mullet, so I dunno. Maybe a 4-5/0??
    Forgot, you can get Gamakatsu on AmmaZamma for like $15 for the 25 packs.
  • Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    i have a friend that always uses vmcs due to price even though we both have broken upwards of 3 dozen hooks in the past couple years. it seems 1 out of every 20 or so will break. have never had one straighten out though? for some reason it is always just a clean break
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,773 Admiral
    i have a friend that always uses vmcs due to price even though we both have broken upwards of 3 dozen hooks in the past couple years. it seems 1 out of every 20 or so will break. have never had one straighten out though? for some reason it is always just a clean break

And yet you keep buying them.

Do you know the definition of insanity?
  • Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    When you can get them for penny's on the dollar and your catching undersized snook or 12-16 inch mangroves it is not the end of the world when 1/20 breaks... I would never use them if I was off shore or fishing for something I would be devastated about loosing.
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    I have vmc 3/0 circle hooks I haven't had a problem with them .maybe you guys got a bad batch
    Hobie outback
  • I just find that Trokar hooks shred my soft plastics to quick IMO
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,796 AG
    Owner Mutu lite circles...never a failure...

and who cares about the price? It is your connection to the fish...

How many are you losing that it is an issue?...because that sounds like more of a problem than hook strength.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    quite true captain. I have never had an owner or a Gamakatsu break, and thats why I use them. I have had eagle claws , mustads bend.

And really, for less than a dollar a piece its not that big of a deal as long as you tie good knots, and dont cast into the Mangroves!!
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    I think the Owner Mutu Lights are the gold standard, and I have never had a hook failure with one (as opposed to some other brands). Lately I have been using the Trokars and found them to be very similar to the Owners, only a little sharper.
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    The VMC 7385BN has been the best circle hooks I've found, although I'm using them primarily for sailfish, dolphin and other pelagics live baiting and trolling. Not much of a bottom fishing guy, but I would use them in a heartbeat for grouper.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM