Rewarded for braving the rain

Went out towards the end of the rain last night to Charlotte Harbor... got out around 7:30 and it was still raining... I wasn't sure how the fishing would be because of all the freshwater runoff. North Port had the flood gates open so there was going to be even more than just from the rain. Even the back roads I take were flooded for a couple miles on the way there.
Well I tried out my new terroreyz with circle hook and split shot idea... success.
AEA7F1A4-B8C7-428D-AB89-E872CCDBCBBE_zpsbr9hnmcy.jpg

Caught a FAT 28" snook with the circle of terror (trademark) after just a few minutes. This was on the last of the outgoing tide. Caught something that looked like a cross between a sheepshead and a redfish (black and white striped drum)... can't remember what it's called.
Then the tide turned and I didn't catch anything else until it really started moving... then the tarpon came in town.
I ended up jumping two, getting one in the boat (it actually jumped into the boat), and lost something big. There were tarpon everywhere again but I couldn't get them to eat for the most part. The tarpon I did catch weren't on the circle of terror... I never actually got another hit on that lure the rest of the night.

Anyway... it was a much better night that a few days ago in terms of actually getting fish to hook up... but there wasn't nearly as much action. I'll keep tossing the circle of terror from time to time to see if it's actually effective for tarpon or not.

PS... I have a spool of Suffix 30 lb fluorocarbon (I THINK it's fluoro... it sure feels like mono) that I'll give to anybody who wants it. I've lost more big fish than I care to remember using that crap. I've never seen a leader break so easily... I just wish it wouldn't have taken me 6 or 7 good fish to realize it's junk.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Good report. Thanks.
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Was it a black drum or a spade fish. Black drum get big I got one over 30 lbs yesterday.
    The tarpon seem to want something with a little more vibration aka Tsunami 2" shad seem to do the trick. What is weird is that I have to cast it out the side and let it drift back with the current, rod tip about 10 o'clock. When they tap it whine and set hook.
    I can't figure out why during the day you need sunlight the brighter the better to get them to eat and at night they are everywhere.
    Good report I think I saw you putting in as I was headed to North Port VFW. I tried to go up Biscayne, but it was flooded as far as I could see.
    Hey try using red finger nail polish on the split shot.
  • NedNed Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Were you by the eljobean pier? I can never get the tarpon to bite there, but they roll like crazy on the outgoing tide under the bridge.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,811 Captain
    Real V wrote: »
    Hey try using red finger nail polish on the split shot.

That's a good idea!
    Ned wrote: »
    Were you by the eljobean pier? I can never get the tarpon to bite there, but they roll like crazy on the outgoing tide under the bridge.

Yes. They're weird man... a couple nights ago I had probably 20+ hits by them... last night on the same tide and same number rolling I probably only had 10 hits and I fished a couple hours longer.
    Real V wrote: »
    Was it a black drum or a spade fish.

It looked like this but I don't remember the 'whiskers'.

Black_Drum_page_image.jpg
    Black Drum eaten size.
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,322 Officer
    Wow! Great idea that of The Terroreyez with circle and split shot.. Did a quick search and can't Find anything about IT. Could you tell me how big a split shot and brand and size of hook or lead me to a site or thread where I could read about it? Would like to try it here
    In the east coast! Thanks!
    ( painting the "eye" red seems like a great idea)
    It's just a 3/0 circle hook... can't remember if it's a Gamagatsu or Owner. I don't expect it would matter much to be honest.
    Split shot is probably 1/8 oz but 1/4 would probably be better.