Where to target Goliaths nearshore?

I'm strictly an inshore guy but I'd like to catch a small/medium size Goliath. I have zero clue about fishing far enough out to not see land, and honestly I don't want to. I'm just looking for a local bridge/jetty/etc... that might hold some goliaths. Somewhere between Venice and Boca Grande. I have a 17' flats boat so I can get around but just not far.

Thanks for the tips.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    Boca grade phosphate docks. We always hook Jew fish in the pass when we are shark fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    ^^what he said.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    If you go to the phosphate docks just make sure you have the correct gear because there are some monsters in there. That's also better as the tide goes slack
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,808 Captain
    Is the phosphate docks the big round bumpers or the dock right next to them? Or does it even matter?
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Never tried the bumpers but the dock is all the old pilings next to the bumpers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,808 Captain
    Cool thanks guys.
  • NedNed Posts: 44 Deckhand
    You can even cast off the beach at Boca and get em. I have before.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,561 Captain
    Pretty much all structure around BGP will have them. They've also been caught in the pass.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    I'm going to hang for this......but if you can cross Boca Grande Pass, run across Charlotte Harbor, get to the channel on the North end, West side of Pine Island, which breaks off the main channel and runs into Pineland Marina and Tarpon Lodge. It can be tricky to get there once you leave the main drag. I suggest coming off the main intracoastal channel from say marker 67 or 65 just north of Useppa Island. Study some charts first, before you try it, unless you know the area. This is a well known, well marked channel. This channel is very narrow and lined with man-placed large rocks. Most of the year they are very visible as the water is shallow. Be very careful in the channel, the rocks can be shallow in some places. Tarpon Lodge may have some better directions on their website.

Bring white bait and pinfish. Anchor outside the channel on the north side of the channel. Throw the live baits on spinning tackle to the rocks on the south side of the channel - across the channel, which is narrow. There will be heavy boat traffic at times, so beware. This type of fishing isn't for the feint of heart, so be careful. Fish with at least 15-20 lb. synthetic braid. Treat cross boat traffic with respect, although they may not slow down for you.

If you do everything right, you can expect as many 5-15 lb "baby" jewfish as you can handle. They live in these rocks by the hundreds.

All the other posters have given good info as well. You said small to medium, and these fish are small and plentiful. Think of catching keeper grouper in 5 feet of water on spinning tackle until your arms fall off. Although you're not supposed to keep these....
  • wwwwww Posts: 48 Deckhand
    come on Holmes.......
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,561 Captain
    I'm going to hang for this......but if you can cross Boca Grande Pass, run across Charlotte Harbor, get to the channel on the North end, West side of Pine Island, which breaks off the main channel and runs into Pineland Marina and Tarpon Lodge. It can be tricky to get there once you leave the main drag. I suggest coming off the main intracoastal channel from say marker 67 or 65 just north of Useppa Island. Study some charts first, before you try it, unless you know the area. This is a well known, well marked channel. This channel is very narrow and lined with man-placed large rocks. Most of the year they are very visible as the water is shallow. Be very careful in the channel, the rocks can be shallow in some places. Tarpon Lodge may have some better directions on their website.

Bring white bait and pinfish. Anchor outside the channel on the north side of the channel. Throw the live baits on spinning tackle to the rocks on the south side of the channel - across the channel, which is narrow. There will be heavy boat traffic at times, so beware. This type of fishing isn't for the feint of heart, so be careful. Fish with at least 15-20 lb. synthetic braid. Treat cross boat traffic with respect, although they may not slow down for you.

If you do everything right, you can expect as many 5-15 lb "baby" jewfish as you can handle. They live in these rocks by the hundreds.

All the other posters have given good info as well. You said small to medium, and these fish are small and plentiful. Think of catching keeper grouper in 5 feet of water on spinning tackle until your arms fall off. Although you're not supposed to keep these....

Sweet, I know that area. Filet and release

I had a friend last year catch a 200lb ish Goliath near cabbage key last year. Even had the docks in the background of the photo
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!