Islamorada Offshore - September 18th - 19th - Mako/Bass Pro Funament Report

For those of you that haven't taken advantage of the "Funament" that has been at World Wide Sportsman the last 2 September's, you're missing out. They do a great job of providing food, fun, prizes, and entertainment for 3 nights. I could go on and on, but this is Fishing Report :wink

We took advantage of the best 2 weather days imaginable. The forecast for both Friday and Saturday was for seas under 1' and it was spot on.
IMG_0288.JPG

We hadn't fished in awhile so Friday was a day to try to figure it out. We started out over The Rips and ended up at Floyd's Wall
Friday%20Track.jpg
All we had to show for the day was a Skip Jack Tuna which (stop reading Gary M).....we released.
IMG_7763.JPG

However, it was clear that the conditions out at the Wall were better than inside. Much more weed, birds, and bait. Unfortunately, on Friday we ended up there late in the day. But, a plan was hatched for Saturday and we were determined to get an early start.
IMG_0250.JPG

With smooth seas, we had lines in 32 miles out before 8:00 AM. We did nothing but work the Wall all day long.
Saturday%20Track.jpg

The first strike came early and is noteworthy only because we've never had this happen before. A 2lb Jack (Almico?) hit a trolled ballyhoo and we hooked up on the drop back before (Gary M, stop reading) we released it.
IMG_0302.JPG

On the bright side, we new the fish were biting and soon some more desirable fish showed up.

IMG_7813.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG

IMG_7856.JPG

IMG_7911.JPG

By the end of the day we managed 8 keepers between 5 and 12 lbs. No trophy fish, but certainly a fun day.
IMG_0334.JPG

Based on what we saw, if you want a shot a dolphin, you're going to need to run a bit. I know some bigger dolphin were caught in close, but no real numbers. If you want Black Fin Tuna, both the 409 and Islamorada Hump were loaded with small fish.

Good luck out there.

Replies

• meant to bemeant to be Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Nice catch, I also fished that Tournament. You r right they do an awesome job at Hosting . We fished the inside hump Friday with two blackfins to show, and then went 25 miles out Sat. and caught 3 dolphins under 5 pds and 1 skip tuna. All in all was Great family time
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,140 AG
    Great report! Glad that I didn't read it while I was hungry! :willynilly
  • Bill WelderBill Welder Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Nice report Rich.
    Long time no see. Please tell your brother I said Hi.
    www.CaptainBill.net
    Island Charters
    "Key West...Where the weird turn pro"
  • 2loud2loud Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    The seas where too calm. It's was a perfect day. I only went out to test a boat out so I trolled for two hours. I started in the cut , went out to the the Miami bouy and back. All we hit was a baby bonito. Some scattered weeds but it was obvious we had to go far for success. We just took it easy. I'm waiting for the king run. Overall I had fun.

Nice dolphins and beautiful skip jack. I will be out in Marathon in MID OCTOBER. Much luck to all !!!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,732 Captain
    Nice report Rich.
    Long time no see. Please tell your brother I said Hi.

Too long Capt. Welder.......we need another Keys Bash. I'll let Bob know you said HI.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    very nice finish!
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Nice report. Glad to see report from ya. Hoping for a tagging report as well!
    Nice report. Glad to see report from ya. Hoping for a tagging report as well!

Well....we did tag ONE fish, but I didn't figure that was report worthy. :wink
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Nice pics Rich, can't believe you let that skipjack go....
  • bighardeybighardey Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Super report and at least you put a few nice ones in the boat!!
    dpdash wrote: »
    Nice pics Rich, can't believe you let that skipjack go....

And the wonderful Sashimi from the Almico Jack...... :cry

blogger-image--128674322.jpg
    Gary, I have to admit, that looks GOOOOD!
    Well chilled, thinly sliced, soy and wasibi, Anejo & Coke........
  • True GritTrue Grit Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Hi all I will be out there Mid Oct. as well what is running and also good table fare?
    thanks in advance.
    Calm Seas & Tight Lines