OMG The Jellyfish in Key Largo

After fishing on the reef a bit yesterday we wanted to look for a few lobsters. OMG,, the hundreds correction the thousands of jellyfish is amazing. Made it nearly impossible,,, we did get two. Where do they all come from and more importantly when are they going to leave??? I've never really been stung by one before yesterday,,,, it did get my attention.

I did get more than just a huge welt on my leg. :dance
gregtrip2.png
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• fixedratefixedrate Posts: 165 Deckhand
    nice report and fish!
    they were thick down in Islamorada too. they got thinner the deeper you went on the reef. got stung a few times spearing. not too bad though
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    We called Friday "Pink Pain" in the Biscayne National Park. The pink jellyfish were very thick in some areas and causing my dive buddy great pain. I have swam with the creatures since the 1960s and may have developed immunity, I don't get welts from the stings unless they are really bad!
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,181 AG
    If they are the 'Moon Jellyfish" they were so thick in 2011 that it made the news. My wife got zapped so bad that she still has a scar on her arm...

Good looking fish box!!
    I was dealing with the "moon jellyfish"
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I like the feeling of the sting. I know that sounds odd but I just like it
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    I like the feeling of the sting. I know that sounds odd but I just like it

Interesting observation. Supposedly pain creates an endorphin response, endorphins being chemicals produced by the body that are similar to opiates.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,181 AG
    I was dealing with the "moon jellyfish"

Yep, that's what got the Admiral-ette. She was on a noodle off the back of the boat and got zapped really bad inside one elbow. We had our neighbor family with us and the 9 y/o boy, seeing her arm said, "Somebody needs to pee on her arm"!!!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,792 Captain
    They were thick off Port Everglades Sunday.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    They have been around as long as I can remember this time of year. but they seem to have gotten much more plentiful in the past 4 or 5 years.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    My 14 and 17 yr old just did their open water out of Dive Center Headquarters in Pompano Beach, they had to dive down through clouds of moon's. Everyone got stung multiple times.

Water warms...their food gets prolific so they come in hoards, hopefully we will start cooling soon and make them go away.
  • mskin314mskin314 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Getting thicker & thicker every year. I've taken many a moon jelly to the face on the way back up, lobster in net.

They will be around for a while.

Time to bust out your rash guards or thin dive suits.

Dont forget to cover your neck

Problem solved.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,380 Officer
    Last year about this same time, we spent a week lobstering BPK. All our spots are on the inside and we never saw 1 jelly. Last day I took my nephew out front to see the blue water, and the jellies were everywhere. Weird.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck