Fishing Advice

Just looking for some shore fishing advice. My buddy and I are coming down for a week at the end of October to the Englewood/ Boca Grande area. We caught a couple Reds and Snook of the beach in the past, but looking for some consistent action. I'm driving down with two Kayaks. Does anyone recommend any where to fish off the Kayaks for Snook/Reds? Whats a good spot to shark fish? Any species particularly heavy that time of year? We hired a guide for a day so hoping to pick up some tips when where out with him. We rented a boat for a day but have the wives with us. So probably wont fish to hard that day. Any advice would be appreciated. Tight Lines.

Replies

• dbraves8dbraves8 Posts: 239 Officer
    Put the kayaks in at coral creek fish that when the tide is moving in or out. Also you can paddle to catfish Creek from there it's not too far of a paddle. Hug the mangroves you'll be fine. There is always reds snook and trout in both places. Also don't leave out the local docks in that area for bigggg snook.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,811 Captain
    agreed with everything said above.
    I haven't had good luck at catfish creek the past couple years... seems everybody and their brother fishes it now.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    Yes that's true it's a very popular place however go through the mouth and on the right side of the wall of the mouth there is a small opening that only kayak or jon boat can get in. I went back there and caught enough fish in a day to feed a man for a month. Tons of snook and reds back in there it needs moving water though and certain time of day. Also just head into the creek itself inside catfish creek. Not many people have the knowledge of the area or balls to run with bigger boats inside catfish Bc how shallow it gets and the oysters. So if you head back into the creek you'll get away from all the traffic. The outside mouth of catfish is only good first hour and last hour of the day due to all the pressure and traffic of people running across it heading to Gasparilla sound the back way by catfish Creek. If it were me in a kayak I would focus really hard on coral creek generally only kayaks go up it due to being narrow and shallow plus oysters.
  • KMacDonaldKMacDonald Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try both locations. What's the best bait? I usually go with live shrimp, and it seems to do the trick if there around. I've caught some decent fish with live pin fish as well.
    Throw topwater first thing in the am from sunrise for about 2 hrs or so then soft plastic jerk bait either weedless or on a 1/8thoz jig or mirrolure mirrodine. That's my recommendation also live shrimp is in every fish diet
    Same as the last 2 hrs or so of daylight throw topwater
    Also can't go wrong with gulp shrimp or a spoon
    Also put up a thread on here looking to split cost with a boat owner in that area that will be fishing there when your down. You may find a few guys willing to let you fish with them.
  • KMacDonaldKMacDonald Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    @ Dbraves,Thanks for all the info. Were defiantly going to give it a shot. Could you recommend a spot to do some Land based shark fishing? We always get into the small ones, but looking to tackle some bigger one. We just don't know where to go.
    Try right off the end of Boca grande in the pass. There is a few people who take kayaks paddle out into the pass drop their bait with a heavy weight to keep it on the bottom and paddle back to the beach. Real time fishing show aired it I believe