What should the cost be to

Captwalt1Captwalt1 Posts: 114 Officer
compound and buff a 17ft center console. It has light to med oxidation.? Im in the Clearwater area. Thanks Walt

Replies

  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,340 Officer
    1 gallon of Aquabuff 2000 is $100. A variable speed grinder with a buffing wheel $150. Spray bottle with water .99 cents. A 4" chip brush .99 cents.

    Apply the compound with the chip brush. Keep the grinder at 1500 rpm or lower. Keep the wheel clean and spray the working surface often. Thats how much it cost.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,336 Moderator
    I think he was asking for a $ per foot. a full detail on a 30 catamaran was $1800.

    you could probably get a price quote for the whole job. depending on whose doing the job.
    shop's would more likely be by the foot, whereas an independent could give you a flat rate.

    FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,340 Officer
    FS Dan wrote: »
    I think he was asking for a $ per foot. a full detail on a 30 catamaran was $1800.

    you could probably get a price quote for the whole job. depending on whose doing the job.
    shop's would more likely be by the foot, whereas an independent could give you a flat rate.

    FSD
    Wow didnt realize thats how much it cost. I was just being smart. Used to polish plugs and molds back in the day. Never saw cost.
  • Captwalt1Captwalt1 Posts: 114 Officer
    WOW!! Forget that idea. Sounds like the DIY route is the way to go. Now to figure how much Beer this will take.LOL. Thanks for the replys guys. Saved me a bunch of time and money..
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,340 Officer
    Captwalt1 wrote: »
    WOW!! Forget that idea. Sounds like the DIY route is the way to go. Now to figure how much Beer this will take.LOL. Thanks for the replys guys. Saved me a bunch of time and money..

    If youre serious about doing it yourself make sure you use a lambs wool pad. Not foam.

    Also cant emphasize enough to keep it wet or you'll burn your paint faster than you'd think is possible.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,336 Moderator
    To save some money, I would get my grinder from harbor freight for a fraction of the $150
    X2 on the lambs wool bonnets
    keep rpms below 1500 and you shouldn't burn thru but be cautious around edges
    I like aquabuff but other brands also have compound that work equally as well.

    FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Captwalt1Captwalt1 Posts: 114 Officer
    Thanks for the tips. I have a buffer going to get some wool bonnets this week. Any thoughts about Buff Magic? Who sells Aqua Buff? Thanks Walt
  • VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Here's a link to the best compounding and waxing procedure I've ever read:
    http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,340 Officer
    VeroDD wrote: »
    Here's a link to the best compounding and waxing procedure I've ever read:
    http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

    Great article! Brought back some memories!!! Some good some bad!

    Totally forgot about Finesse it II. Its amazing polish.

    AND wear the crappiest clothes you can find. "Start up sling" is pita. Gonna look for that soft start feature on the next orbital I buy.
Sign In or Register to comment.