early november

what should we target then? mahi still there? yt bite usually good? we have a 25 ft boat

Replies

• BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Try to bring as much gear as possible . Impossible to predict without being able to predict the weather. You will need to be flexible . If you get northerly winds that will open up sails , kings , tuna , wahoo . Southerly winds perfect for Mahi . TOO much wind go backwater for snapper and mackerel . West wind usually shuts down the bite out front . Cold fronts can either shut down or fire up the YT's

Try to be flexible and check in at the local bait shops when you get down . Good Luck
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    +1 on the above post.I was down that exact time 2 years ago
    and had a blast.Fishing,sea conditions,temp everything was perfect.
    Your boat should still be fine.We had the best luck bump trolling
    live cigar minnows and ballyhoo.Most of our action then was at
    about 400 feet .
  • NickNutNickNut Posts: 230 Deckhand
    BD27 wrote: »
    Try to bring as much gear as possible . Impossible to predict without being able to predict the weather. You will need to be flexible . If you get northerly winds that will open up sails , kings , tuna , wahoo . Southerly winds perfect for Mahi . TOO much wind go backwater for snapper and mackerel . West wind usually shuts down the bite out front . Cold fronts can either shut down or fire up the YT's

Try to be flexible and check in at the local bait shops when you get down . Good Luck

Sounds like good advice. I imagine the same is true for end of October? (24th-28th)

Heading to Duck Key, and will have (on different days) varying levels of anglers on the boat. Never done the bay-side, and was wondering what to expect (will have a 20ft flats boat with me).
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    NickNut , check your maps . I have never fished near Duck Key . Go all the way out back toward the drop to 20 feet . Look in 4-10 feet of water for Sponges (the ones that look like vases) and Sea Fans. Set up shallow on outgoing tide , Chum . Let the chum travel across the sponges and sea fans and out to deeper water . You should have no problem getting a limit of Mangroves on pin fish , cut ballyhoo , pilchards , shrimp or squid . live shrimp should also score you some Hog Fish. Live pinfish or pilchards fished a little deeper 20-30 feet on bottom should also catch you muttons , and grouper (check your regs) You will most likely run into spanish macks sharks and possibly cobia .
    Rig lines for free lining in shallow water , or add split shot or jig heads in the shallower water. Small hooks 20lb flouro leader . If the water is real clear you might need to drop to 8-10# flouro. For chum any will work , but don't waste you money on Stars and Stripes . It's Garbage . I recommend Bionic or Tournament Master

Good Luck