Trout in the surf???

Anyone ever consistently caught them in the surf? We do pretty well in the boat and bay, but it has always been spotty in the surf. I see that they catch some good uns out in LA and Texas in the surf.

Replies

• IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Anyone ever consistently caught them in the surf? We do pretty well in the boat and bay, but it has always been spotty in the surf. I see that they catch some good uns out in LA and Texas in the surf.

I've caught them occasionally, and then a few times in my life have found a run of them. It's non-stop for about 30 minutes and anything that shines will land a fish.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,865 Captain
    First time I fished the cut.after breaking off and retieing about 6 times,moved to beach side of jetties and wore them out for 2 days.nothing but jacks on 3rd day.Pretty consistent surf bite in late Jan and Feb in St.Helena sound in South Carolina.average about 16 inches and fat!Always get 1 from 20" and up.used doa 1/4oz shrimp on glow or rootbeer or doa minnow tale in glow on 1/4 jighead.used 1/2 doa shrimp a little in SC since it threw further,but they are not that far out at lowtide and with braid and no wind could get 1/4oz to them.
  • spearhead@eyelivetofi5h[email protected] Posts: 148 Officer
    Dam I wish they hung out in the surf, best chance in soflo is grass beds but dam id be burnt to a crisp if I could get em from shore
  • OldgoldandwhiteOldgoldandwhite Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Dam I wish they hung out in the surf, best chance in soflo is grass beds but dam id be burnt to a crisp if I could get em from shore

Agree. Reading some of the old Texas stories of catching a 20 trout limit in the surf that averaged 7 lbs. Documented. That was in the 80's and would be one awesome fishing experience.