Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trout in the surf???

Anyone ever consistently caught them in the surf? We do pretty well in the boat and bay, but it has always been spotty in the surf. I see that they catch some good uns out in LA and Texas in the surf.

Replies

• IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,896 Captain
    Anyone ever consistently caught them in the surf? We do pretty well in the boat and bay, but it has always been spotty in the surf. I see that they catch some good uns out in LA and Texas in the surf.

I've caught them occasionally, and then a few times in my life have found a run of them. It's non-stop for about 30 minutes and anything that shines will land a fish.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,743 Admiral
    First time I fished the cut.after breaking off and retieing about 6 times,moved to beach side of jetties and wore them out for 2 days.nothing but jacks on 3rd day.Pretty consistent surf bite in late Jan and Feb in St.Helena sound in South Carolina.average about 16 inches and fat!Always get 1 from 20" and up.used doa 1/4oz shrimp on glow or rootbeer or doa minnow tale in glow on 1/4 jighead.used 1/2 doa shrimp a little in SC since it threw further,but they are not that far out at lowtide and with braid and no wind could get 1/4oz to them.
  • spearhead@eyelivetofi5h[email protected] Posts: 148 Officer
    Dam I wish they hung out in the surf, best chance in soflo is grass beds but dam id be burnt to a crisp if I could get em from shore
  • OldgoldandwhiteOldgoldandwhite Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Dam I wish they hung out in the surf, best chance in soflo is grass beds but dam id be burnt to a crisp if I could get em from shore

Agree. Reading some of the old Texas stories of catching a 20 trout limit in the surf that averaged 7 lbs. Documented. That was in the 80's and would be one awesome fishing experience.