Skip to main content
Home Boating

Customizing a 24 foot carolina skiff

Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
My buddy Captain Bill wanted to do a complete makeover on his 24 Carolina skiff. He brought the boat over to my house we cleared out my garage to make room and started discussing his ideas.:huh

He wanted large fishing decks, a large live well and plenty of room to move around while chasing tarpon here on Florida's west coast.
With that in mind it was time to get started. We stripped everything out of the old girl and cleaned her up to see what we had to deal with.

All the flooring looked good as did the transom so it was time to get started grinding away all the old paint for a good base for the new glass work.

We decided to go with Kledgesel core for the building so this boat will last forever.
It's very easy to work with, all that is needed was to cut our designs out and stand them into place before the glassing begins.

I used a large plastic drum as a mold for the livewell bends, I just waxed the barrel and popped the glass off then cut it in two and made it more oblong (is that a word?). When it was all done the livewell ended up at 42 gallons :)

Time to build the under deck supports and glass in the sidewalls, livewell and bottom of the decks.

I could go on and on with a load of pictures but it just takes too dang long. so long story shortened up. I put in a few steps around the boat to help us old guys get around better:hail and got her all glassed up.

After a load of grinding it was time to start the painting process. First the non skid. I just taped out a pattern, started painting and using a salt shaker applied tiny glassbeeds to the paint. Bill is a big time tarpon fisherman so I decided to add a little extra design into the non skid and put a tarpon design on the front bow.

OK time to add the paint and get this baby moving.

Tape her off and web the decks.

Testing out all the deck lights and fishing lights in my garage.

Dang this post is taking forever... OK I'm calling it quits and speeding things up a bit.
Got boat painted, installed all the lights, cleets, hatches, power pole, jack plate, etc etc etc then mounted a brand new 140 suzuki and she is SWEET:cool:
It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.

Replies