Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Grouper Rig Question?

Question for you grouper experts out there fishing with 3-way swivel rigs. How long do you guys go with the line that the sinker attaches to? I'm thinking 2 ft long but not sure. What do ya think? Thanks!

Replies

• wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Not sure how many of us use 3-way swivel rigs for grouper. 2-3 ft should do fine. I use a sliding sinker rig and crank up 2-3 turns after I reach bottom. On good days the rig never reaches the bottom!
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    mullet nailed it!
    God, save the South!
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,394 Moderator
    Shel wrote: »
    Question for you grouper experts out there fishing with 3-way swivel rigs. How long do you guys go with the line that the sinker attaches to? I'm thinking 2 ft long but not sure. What do ya think? Thanks!

2' is plenty, with the bait line being 3-4. Be sure to use lighter line on that weight so you can break it if needed.
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Instead of a 3-way swivel, as a pier fisherman using live bait, sometimes we would tie a leader on with a weight and let the bait slide along the main line. This gave the bait plenty of natural swimming room but severely decreased sensitivity to bites. A fish had to haul butt after taking the bait to set off the clicker. Otherwise wishfishin described the most commonly used method
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,066 Officer
    Thanks guys for the responses. Looks like a 3-way rig is more of an east coast deal. Living over here in northeast florida, I've always heard about these guys using 3-way rigs to grouper fish. I've always done my grouper fishing out of Keaton and Steinhatchee and always used either a egg sinker rig or sinker w/swivel on each end. On a whim, I was going to try the 3-way rig the next time I was over there fishing but now understanding the comments made on a couple of the other threads about the difference in currents, I guess I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks again guys!
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,394 Moderator
    A lot of hook and line commercial guys use the three way rig so it must work.
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,177 Officer
    I use the sliding sinker and the three way.

Both work well.

Use what you like. The goal is to get the bait to the fish. :thumbsup