Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Weekend hunt reports...

2»

Replies

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    This weekend is looking good - time to put the climber on the killin tree. 44 low Sat/Sun
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,197 AG
    I'll be in the tree. Sat low is 58 and Sun is 55.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    ill be in lazy boy both AM's waiting to read some post on some big bucks killed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    I hope to fill out a few more tags myself this weekend . Planning on helping a buddy of mine locate and kill the 150 he has on camera . We have him pinpointed two within a 100 acre block . Just need the right wind and this weekend could be awesome for one of us . He had him at 18 yards last week, but failure to trim a shooting lane cost him big time :banghead
    Just finished putting up the climber on the killin tree - man, it looks good in there...everything is good and thick with excellent shooting lanes after I was reminded by TO's post. Cleared a few grown in branches...good to go now. Thanks TO.

Drove the Mule to the base of the tree to keep the scent down - in/out in 10 minutes.
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Still waiting on rifle to come in but got a new ladder stand up yesterday across the road at the FIL's. Branches to be trimmed this coming weekend. I'll now have a view of all entrance points from the creek bottom to the upper garden area.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
    wishfishin wrote: »
    Still waiting on rifle to come in but got a new ladder stand up yesterday across the road at the FIL's. Branches to be trimmed this coming weekend. I'll now have a view of all entrance points from the creek bottom to the upper garden area.

You are hunting a good as spot as any in Georgia to kill a biggun...just sayin.
    Sights are dead on. Jake killed one with it last week. It was the Indian ..... wrong yardage.

I shoot a single pin and shoot with feel...not yardage. Exactly why I went single pin. Can bowgun do the same? For me, takes the guess work, finding the right pin/yardage out.

I know when they are in the killing zone 30 yards and in...anything out of 35-40 which I do practice longer shots, just has to be GREEN light confident or I don't shoot. The 8 point I killed 2 Seasons ago was my longest shot and most difficult - between 2 trees the arrow found the heart - he only ran maybe 50-60 yards. That shot was walked off afterwardaround 40 yds. I knew to aim a tad higher for the falloff...from practice.

Single pin may be better for yer, just sayin
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    You are hunting a good as spot as any in Georgia to kill a biggun...just sayin.

You need to come over and check it out the next time you're up at the lake.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,395 Moderator
    I know when they are in the killing zone 30 yards and in...anything out of 35-40 which I do practice longer shots, just has to be GREEN light confident or I don't shoot. The 8 point I killed 2 Seasons ago was my longest shot and most difficult - between 2 trees the arrow found the heart - he only ran maybe 50-60 yards. That shot was walked off afterwardaround 40 yds. I knew to aim a tad higher for the falloff...from practice.

What's a tad?
    Mullet wrote: »
    What's a tad?

the right amount
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    :thumbsup
    God, save the South!
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    Wish glad you got another stand up, should be productive for you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    the right amount

Just wondered if this "guestimation" was the reason for some of your high shots/lost deer and misses. You may be better served with more pins.
    Just wondered if this "guestimation" was the reason for some of your high shots/lost deer and misses. You may be better served with more pins.

I'm good, went through a period is all. Misses happen....single pin and feel is the way to fly - was taught by one of the best when getting set up - lucky I crossed his path -
    I'm good, went through a period is all. Misses happen....single pin and feel is the way to fly - was taught by one of the best when getting set up - lucky I crossed his path -

Believing goes a long way. I still use technology when available, adjustable sight and range finder. I shot a bunch of tournaments in my day, and the various parameters (light, foilage, shooting lanes, ect) can make the feel of the shot vary so much for me that I feel a lot more comfortable knowing. Feel is surely more simple, I just ain't good enough.
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    You guys are starting to sound like Texans. Your favorite hunts were the comfortable sit and wait in the shade ones? No stalking
    , less risk. To top that, why not put up 8ft fences, feeders and charge thousands for killing a species that has overrun their territory? At least i hear u guys using bows. Thats gotta be tough, for real! As you can tell by now, I am not a hunter. I'm not against it, I just have never gone.
    landlubber wrote: »
    I am not a hunter.
    Bingo.
    I hunt for enjoyment. It's not to feed my family. I ain't getting paid. 90% of my hunting is from climbing stands but it is nice to be able to take my sons or wife that don't hunt. A blind affords me that. When you start hunting get back with me on those opinions. lol
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    I'll admit it...I hunt because I like to watch things die, not as much as I once did, but that is the root of the drive.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Not that I am "that good", it's because I am better with feel/single pin. There are more things I do wrong than right - but,

hitting the target within inches with bow is one...never would of guessed being so comfortable with stick/string - I'm worse with a gun. I can sure as NAMAW miss with a rifle...

Dew, I hunt mainly to be in the woods...peace.
    There are more things I do wrong than right - but,

hitting the target within inches with bow is one...n
    One of my bad traits(I have many) is over thinking and over analyzing things. I spent way more time sweating the little things than I should. If I got to shoot and I'm not stack 3 arrows at least one being a broadhead, I'm not comfortable hunting. Silly I know. It has caused me much time and money. I guess I'm a pessimist at heart and fear that "couple of inches" will multiply with the stress of a big deer in my sights. I know a ton of "close" guys and many have killed much bigger deer than me. It's something I can't help.
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I'll admit it...I hunt because I like to watch things die, not as much as I once did, but that is the root of the drive.

There was a time, but it has passed, oddly with the passing of my father. It took me a few years to admit it, but the thrill of the kill has passed me for the most part. I still love the woods and the hunt, and venison.
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    i just love to cook em....
    One of my bad traits(I have many) is over thinking and over analyzing things. I spent way more time sweating the little things than I should. If I got to shoot and I'm not stack 3 arrows at least one being a broadhead, I'm not comfortable hunting. Silly I know. It has caused me much time and money. I guess I'm a pessimist at heart and fear that "couple of inches" will multiply with the stress of a big deer in my sights. I know a ton of "close" guys and many have killed much bigger deer than me. It's something I can't help.

it's closer than inches, my bad. Yesterday's practice session were very tight groupings - taking different shots/angles/distances and then coming back through them a few times - creates confidence for me.

I like shooting the block better than the bag, plus the practice tips of Rage are great!

I've hit more deer in the heart/goods than anywhere - the climber has also helped - I just better from a climber - my Goliath SUmmits rock!!! If I had that BB come in on me (the one when I was in a ground blind), I'd have had a 100x better chance @ waxin his ace. Would not have needed that one step and if I did, would have gotten it - HE stopped when he came up on the blind.

All in all - it's all good. Be there this weekend - looking good.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    I'm very proud of the two deer and the bass I have mounted but if I had to hunt only trophies I wouldn't hunt much. I get a sense of accomplishment bringing home a years worth of meat for the family that isn't loaded with antibiotics, steroids, and bacteria. We do buy the occasional steak and a good bit of salmon since I don't get to put much grouper in the freezer these days.
    Rhettley wrote: »
    I'm very proud of the two deer and the bass I have mounted but if I had to hunt only trophies I wouldn't hunt much. I get a sense of accomplishment bringing home a years worth of meat for the family that isn't loaded with antibiotics, steroids, and bacteria. We do buy the occasional steak and a good bit of salmon since I don't get to put much grouper in the freezer these days.

It's an outdoors thing, some of us get it some don't. I could have cared less about deer hunting really until my 30's. I went a few times a year, but never really liked it as when my switch got flipped in the mid 90's. Joing that group out of Albany in their deer camp - flipped the switch I rekon - started enjoying the fellowship.

Now, my fishing has suffered...BIG TIME!
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    It's an outdoors thing, some of us get it some don't. I could have cared less about deer hunting really until my 30's. I went a few times a year, but never really liked it as when my switch got flipped in the mid 90's. Joing that group out of Albany in their deer camp - flipped the switch I rekon - started enjoying the fellowship.

Now, my fishing has suffered...BIG TIME!
    I bet more so for you on the outdoor thing living in the ATL area. When I lived up there in the 80's and 90's I had to get up to the mountains with my tent and trout rod or at least get the waders and hit the Hootch at least every 3rd weekend or I'd go nuts around all those people. You are very fortunate to have access to hunting land so close to you up there.