Home Egret Boats

Garmin

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
After reading about the tracks software being built by Egrets Landing, I have a question for you tech guys. I have all my old tracks and numbers off my old Garmin GPS that died. I have them on a flash drive. How can I get them on my new GPS?? I'm sure it's a simple fix but I'm not a real tech guy so a little steering in the right direction would help!! Thanks BB
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    You should be able to move them to an SD or Micro SD Chip and up load them. You may need to buy a SD/MicroSD chip reader that goes in your USB.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    You can call Garmin and they can walk you through your options......I've used them before to get data from one machine to the other and their customer service was good.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Thanks guys!

• FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Garmin to Garmin? You should be able to transfer the Garmin data from your flash drive to a blank SD card. Insert the blank SD card in the new Garmin and fire it up. Follow the menu (I forget details) to upload data from the SD card.
    EZ-PZ. I did it once when the replaced my old 4208.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Garmin to Garmin? You should be able to transfer the Garmin data from your flash drive to a blank SD card. Insert the blank SD card in the new Garmin and fire it up. Follow the menu (I forget details) to upload data from the SD card.
    EZ-PZ. I did it once when the replaced my old 4208.

Pretty sure it's not a direct transfer. (?) He's going to have to do it through Mapsource (which is Garmin's free software and can be downloaded from their site.)
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    After reading about the tracks software being built by Egrets Landing, I have a question for you tech guys. I have all my old tracks and numbers off my old Garmin GPS that died. I have them on a flash drive. How can I get them on my new GPS?? I'm sure it's a simple fix but I'm not a real tech guy so a little steering in the right direction would help!! Thanks BB

What are the file extensions on the flashdrive? .gdb?
    If you are transferring to another garmin they should load on there. Just transfer them/copy from the flash drive to the chip via your PC and load them in.

If you are transferring them to a different gps mfg such as Lowrance or Hummingbird you will need to convert those files to the proper format before you can load them in to the new gps. For instance, the Lowrance format is .usr. Use GPSBabel which is a free converter to convert from file.gdb to file2.usr and save that .usr to the chip and load it. You will probably have to reformat the icons once they get in there to the way you like them. If you want to email the file(s) you need to import, I can convert them for you and email them back.

BTW, the FMT chips wont work in Garmin units as Garmin will not allow any other maps to run on their machines from any company other than their own map. They do provide some tools at some expense to make your own map if you wanted to go through the hassle for your own use but that is about it. So if you stick with Garmin, you are stuck with their map and their map is the only option you will have. By way of comparison, Navico and Humminbird and some others provide for different mapping options you may choose to purchase.
    EL, I have no idea but I will check. All I know is I saved them on my computer and now they show up every time I pull up Google Earth??

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    EL, I have no idea but I will check. All I know is I saved them on my computer and now they show up every time I pull up Google Earth??

If they are in google earth as well they are .kmz or .kml files. No problem to convert them to whatever format your gps requires.
    If they are in google earth as well they are .kmz or .kml files. No problem to convert them to whatever format your gps requires.

Well I wish you were closer because Id gladly pay you to counsel my computer ineptness!!! Thanks for the tips. I may pm you when I get back in town and have time to try and convert. Thanks again bud!