Broken rod. Fix?

2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
Well I broke about 1.5" off the butt section of my 8wt xi2 today. Right where it slides into the second section. Caught a bunch of reds without an issue, then while setting the hook on the biggest of the day it popped:banghead It was a clean break, and the remaining section was too thick to fit into the female side of the second section. When I got home I took some high grit paper and took down about 1.5" and now it fits nicely. Basically took the blue coating off and left the bare graphite. Should I re-coat the graphite with something to seal it, or is the rod garbage? I don't have a warranty on it since I bought it from a friend. Had the rod for 2 years and caught many fish. Also didn't know if I should reinforce and seal the inside of the blank?

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,326 Captain
    It's a no fault, totally transferable lifetime warranty. The rod is a liability, send it in.
  • BendMenderBendMender Posts: 36 Deckhand
    I second that. I have sent in several Sage rods that I bought used and never had any issues. I think butt sections may be more expensive to get "repaired".
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Oh wow thanks. Do I need to call sage and get a return number or something? Since they don't make the xi2 anymore I wonder what rod they could get me instead.
    2fastlx wrote: »
    Oh wow thanks. Do I need to call sage and get a return number or something? Since they don't make the xi2 anymore I wonder what rod they could get me instead.

You'll get an Xi2. If it's a GFL, you'll get a GFL. If it's an RP you'll get an RP. I have a collection of sage rods that spans 30 years, I'm going on 8 or 9 breaks at this point, and they've never substituted a newer model for a dated rod or blank. Though I've been warned about my 1096 RP, since they no longer have the mandrels to reproduce the blank.
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Send it in with your fifty. Send it now...don't wait. Back in 3-4 weeks.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,365 Captain
    Make a point of calling first to find out how much the warranty will cost (and also to find out if a warranty is possible after you've "fixed" the blank...). Like Old Dirty some of my rods have made more than one trip back to Sage (two of them have needed repair/replacement twice in the same year....). Good luck - hope it works out for you.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    The last one I sent in was 60 bucks. But that included a shipping label that they provide for an extra 10 bucks. It never hurts to contact them prior to sending one in. Go to the Sage website and register, it speeds things up.
    FYIWFG
    Thanks for all the advice. I created an account and registered the rod. Seems like the process is pretty painless, hopefully it works out. Thanks again.
    ifitswims wrote: »
    Send it in with your fifty. Send it now...don't wait. Back in 3-4 weeks.

I've never had one come back in less than 2 months, and I had one take 14 weeks earlier this year. I don't have a problem with their turnaround time, it is what it is.
  • backbonebackbone Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Yep, 16 weeks for me last year.
    Good luck.
    I've never had one come back in less than 2 months, and I had one take 14 weeks earlier this year. I don't have a problem with their turnaround time, it is what it is.

Not sure why you have had such bad luck. Bummer for sure. I have well over 20 repairs with Sage alone and they typically have my rod back within 3 weeks of rec't of rod. I have two sages ready to send as I type. I will let you know when I send them and how well or how poorly they do on these.

My best advice is just send your rod in asap, a broken rod sitting in the garage is just a bad memory every time you look at it.
    I just looked it up on another forum where we did the exact same exercise. My last sage repair was back in my hands 24 days after sending it, that included shipping time to and from. That was about ten states closer though.
    ifitswims wrote: »
    Not sure why you have had such bad luck. Bummer for sure. I have well over 20 repairs with Sage alone and they typically have my rod back within 3 weeks of rec't of rod. I have two sages ready to send as I type. I will let you know when I send them and how well or how poorly they do on these.

My best advice is just send your rod in asap, a broken rod sitting in the garage is just a bad memory every time you look at it.

I work for a retailer, I've probably seen 80 sage rods shipped out for warranty issues over the last 5 years. I have never, ever, ever, had a rod come back in less than 2 months. Never.
    I shipped the rod out today, will let you guys know when it comes back. Im not sure how they make 4 piece rods, but can they just replace one section, or do they need to make an entire new rod?
    I work for a retailer, I've probably seen 80 sage rods shipped out for warranty issues over the last 5 years. I have never, ever, ever, had a rod come back in less than 2 months. Never.

Radical. I have sent at least 20 in myself and the one before last was from a rod dealer and I have no memory of one taking 8 weeks. I was a sage dealer for 5 years and average was three weeks. But that was a while back.

I will let you know when I send these two in, one is a ZXL 590 and one is a 586 RPL. As soon as I get all the way moved in I will send them and maybe they hate the east coast. Might be the models as well are you sending in Larger or all Xi's? All of mine have been 6 wt or smaller.
    I'll be sure to ask our rep why everyone else on the planet but you has to wait 12 weeks to get their rods back.
    lmao, no it's the norm for the group I was in, 12 weeks would be the exception. Like I said maybe it's the east coast and all these bad tudes.
  • Bill@NSB[email protected] Posts: 207 Deckhand
    I fish mostly Gloomis any more, but I've have had my share of Sage's over time.
    Fine rods, fine company, but I'll ditto the two-month time to replace/repair.
    I do not doubt the 2 months. Just want to try and bring it to their attention. I think 2 months is a bit excessive to resell a rod to a good customer or shop. My rep was Van Rollo, I think I still have his email, I will see if I can get some insight.

Last Loomis I sent in, they did not make the rod anymore and I had a brand new replacement back within 3 weeks.

I recently sent in a Scott and they replaced it with the same rod and back within 2 weeks, but I lived less than 100 miles from the factory.