Gas types

jbasskingjbassking Posts: 109 Deckhand
What kind of gas do the marina's carry in FL? I know it's like $2 more per gallon than a regular gas station but is it worth it? I heard it's 90 octane and doesn't contain ethanol. A marina in Fort Lauderdale quoted me $5.49 today (9/3/2014). This seems excessively high. I've gotten a quote as low as $5.00 in Deerfield beach area. Is this the average? Do any marinas carry straight 89 octane gas?

Thanks.
Fish as often as you can today, because you never know if the weather will let you tomorrow.

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,349 Moderator
    Have you priced real estate on the water in Ft Lauderdale. That alone represents the price increase.
    Rec fuel doesn't contain ethonal and gas has higher energy level than alcohol. Some report performance and fuel economy increases of up to 10% by using non ethanol Rec Fuel.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,750 Captain
    It SEEMS like my 90 2 stroke MAY run a tad better on ethenol free, MAYBE! Wishful thinking? Probable. I know i've tried it in my truck, 2012 and it got no better mileage, maybe even not quite as good. I can't justify the extra buck and a half.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,280 Officer
    I buy my non ethanol gas at a local station at $.70 more than the ethanol kind. It's the 90 octane stuff and my bass boat does run better. If you buy it in a marina, be sure to have a water separater.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    I've been running e-10 for years in my zukes....
    zuke #1 had close to 700 hours on it when Katrina ate it...
    never a problem...however I did have a big racor water\fuel filter on it so I could monitor the fuel...

zuke #2 has 650 hours on it with the same filter\separator system and no problems...
    I can't tell any performance between 87 octane e-10 and 87 none e-10....
    steady 5nm\gal at 4200 rpm which is the sweet spot for the prop and motor.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,776 Admin
    I've been running e-10 for years in my zukes....
    zuke #1 had close to 700 hours on it when Katrina ate it...
    never a problem...however I did have a big racor water\fuel filter on it so I could monitor the fuel...

zuke #2 has 650 hours on it with the same filter\separator system and no problems...
    I can't tell any performance between 87 octane e-10 and 87 none e-10....
    steady 5nm\gal at 4200 rpm which is the sweet spot for the prop and motor.....

No issues either.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    new 4 strokes don't have a lot of difference as they have higher compression than 2 strokes. 2 strokes can have a significant difference. What will happen is WHEN you get wet fuel ethanol will hold it until it can hold no more then make a big ole mess and corrode aluminum. Non ethanol will hold very little water so it will separate in spoon fools, not gallons. Motors were made to run on gasoline and that's a fact. Studies that show e10 does no harm are based on dry fuel like you would have in a car with a sealed fuel system.

you are unlikely to find 89 octane and there is hardly any difference in 90 octane for price. Since higher performance boats require higher octane and a marina isn't likely to have tanks for 87 and 90 octane you are unlikely to find it. The issue with that price is not the expense of the fuel. Look online for a rec fuel delivery service.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "