Trailer coupler question

electrodogelectrodog Posts: 142 Deckhand
I replaced the trailer coupler and discovered that with the new one the mounting holes match up fine but instead of being "flush" with the tongue, it sits up about 1/4 ". If I put it flush, the holes don't match up and I am fearful that drilling new holes 1/4" away from the old holes wont be a good idea. I was thinking of drilling the top hole out and inserting a 1/4" aluminum plate in the gap and bolting it from the top as well. I may be over thinking this as it is only a 16 foot skiff on a single axle trailer, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Should I drill and mount thru the top hole or do you think I would be okay as is?

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    your fine, its the shear strength of the bolts that is whats required and your covered.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,080 Officer
    electrodog wrote: »
    I replaced the trailer coupler and discovered that with the new one the mounting holes match up fine but instead of being "flush" with the tongue, it sits up about 1/4 ". If I put it flush, the holes don't match up and I am fearful that drilling new holes 1/4" away from the old holes wont be a good idea. I was thinking of drilling the top hole out and inserting a 1/4" aluminum plate in the gap and bolting it from the top as well. I may be over thinking this as it is only a 16 foot skiff on a single axle trailer, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Should I drill and mount thru the top hole or do you think I would be okay as is?

You can cut 1" of the tongue and then drill new holes. The old hole will be 1" away from the bolts. Good Luck...Pete