Tips on vertical jigging

If you fish offshore it's a must have technique in your arsenal. I've been fishing for over 25 years, but jigging is new to me. There are tons of ppl that I have gone fishing with that are new to the sport both kayaking and fishing offshore. Lessons learned over time are so valuable. Me for instance I was using 5 feet of 60 pound floro, which is way to heavy while jigging for Bfts and too short. So any tid bit of information you guys from the forum would be so awesome and most helpful to ppl getting into the sport.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Cannible wrote: »
    Me for instance I was using 5 feet of 60 pound flouro, which is way to heavy while jigging for Bfts and too short.
    Not necessarily true. Many different anglers will have different approaches to the terminal tackle. I typically use 3ft of 60#Flouro leader. But many look down on my use of swivels to allow me to change lures quickly offshore, so take my advice with an ounce of salt :banana

I think the best advice I was given, is to use as light of a jig weight as it takes to get to the bottom, and only go heavier if the current is preventing this. So I sometimes start with a 100gram jig (3.5oz) and go to 150 gram (5.3oz) as needed. The bigger 7oz jigs are a workout, but sometimes needed if you find yourself out deeper than 300' and the current is still taking your 5oz jig sideways.

Secondly, some jigs produce better (or attract certain species) when jigged at different speeds, but the most important thing is to have a consistent cadence when jigging. Settle into the rhythm and commit to it, you won't catch much if you get tired and let the jig dangle in between bursts of tired retrieves.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    Yeah I agree to each his own on the leader. My main point on length of leader is cause of the braid. THe braid when cutting through the water make noise and just wait out there like using a wire leader.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Shorter jigging rod. On my third outfit and went 5'4". Cost me $300 but totally worth it. World of a difference to something 6'+ long.
    I always thought the action of the rod was more important than the length. However, since they are somewhat related, suffice it to say you should match the action of the rod to the weight of the jig you are using?
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Hey Cannibile C. I have only been fishing a couple of years, and I am totally into the jigging aspect of fishing. I have learned allot from the guys on this forum and I am still learning as I go. Probably 9 out of 10 fish I catch are jigging. I go lighter on my braid and mono leader than most, but bring up the fish. I like to use 30# thin strand spider braid with only about 10 feet of either 30 or 50# mono. It all depends on what I am targeting though. I have even attached single strand wire, to avoid king cut-offs, and was able to land the 2 biggest tunas I have caught. IMO, if you have too much leader material, you stand a chance of not having a good hookset, due to the stretch on mono, as you attempt to set the hook. When I first started jigging, I would have problems with leaders that were to way too long. Too many fish coming off the hooks, due to improper hook setting.

If I could sum up the most important thing I have learned on jigging is SPEED. Fish, especially tuna, are like bullets swimming thru the water. There is no way that you could physically jig too fast, for a tuna to keep up with the jig. Most of my catches are early on, when I have the most abundant energy to expand. Evening or day is the same story. Speed and cadence all the time.

On jigs I prefer flutter jig types. Lots of my catches are actually on the jigs way down. Flutters take a while to get used to, but they have made a difference in my catch ratio. They do as their name implies, flutter on the way down, attracting curious fish into striking. If your flutter jig speeds way up or stops abruptly, you got a fish on! Tighten up...and up she comes.

I do something, I have yet to see anyone else do. Maybe they do, but around me they haven't. If the bite gets a little slow for me, I'll drop the jig all the way down, when not around wrecks, and will paddle away from it as much as I can handle on the retrieve. Obviously I can't do this with live bait at the same time though. I will now turn my 'yak facing the jig, and bring the jig up bouncing thru the different water columns. The jig is coming up more like horizontally, rather than vertically as they are intended to be used. This works "great" for me. I like to do this really close to extreme quick depth changes. Who the heck knows why it works, but it does.

Have fun bud and you catch 'em up.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    You'll want a fast reel, short rod, light braid, good knots, and as small a jig as can reach the bottom.

I use 10# fireline and 7-12' leader of 20-60#. Almost all of my fish are caught jigging, even snapper and grouper. I use cheap or home-poured jigs. Color doesn't seem to matter, but I paint mine glow green FWIW. A single bottom hook works at least as well as a top assist hook. Wire can work, but it can also kill the bite at times. You'll be sore at first, but the more you jig, the easier it gets.

If you want to make a quick, no-hassle offshore trip, leave the bait and just take one rod and a handful of jigs.
  • drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    Great info. Guys! Thats what why I love it here! Thank you!
    2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    I use mental telepathy to tell the fish when to bite. Sometimes I tell them not to bite so I can drop a few times without having a fight when im tired or my bag is full, but mostly I tell them to bite right when my friends are getting pizzed from no bites. I like to look like a real **** who has some secret jig, or rod/reel combo, or his leader is exactly the right length (right down to the inch), but none of that shlt really makes a difference, it's really it's just plain old telepathy.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    :funnypost
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    IMHO- if you want to learn to JIG, you have to leave the bait & bottom rods/rigs at home... It's just too tempting to give up & go back to 'soaking bait' if the bite is slow... I've learned a ton on some of the 'Specialized Jigging Forums' (like 360* Tuna, etc.)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • kwanza98kwanza98 Posts: 611 Officer
    Nice advice. I make flutter jigs myself and used them a few times. I catch a lot of fish with them and strayed away from them because I was trying something different, but I'm going back to my own jigs. I make 2 and 3 oz flutter jigs and man they work great. I leave it on the bottom and use a yo yo action and when no bites I'll reel it up a few feet then drop back down to the bottom. I use mono because from what I hear it has less stretch then fluro. I've been researching online about the difference between mono and fluro and when to use each. I actually talked to Captain Rick Murphy about it and he confirmed the same thing. Mono is good for speed jigging and fluro is good for casting or live/cut bait. Although I haven't been out as much as I want I noticed the last trip out with Frank and Daniel (both were using mono) caught a lot more fish then me and I was using fluro. Lesson is go back to what works for you and try not to stray too far away. Tight lines and Snook season is coming. I'll be on the water day 1. Danny and Frank I got some more of those lures. The one I hooked up with the sail. I have a few in 6" this time LOL. I can't wait to use them
    Kwanza Kayaking Henderson
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Oarknot is my favorite person in the entire world.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • LegmarkedLegmarked Posts: 44 Deckhand
    This is great stuff. Props to all who share their knowledge of this subject.

If it's not sticky it should be.
    Legmarked wrote: »
    If it's not sticky it should be.

Haha nah, I've been chastised for cluttering the landing page with threads I've made sticky. I might refer back to this thread later on though.
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    SkunkLife wrote: »
    Oarknot is my favorite person in the entire world.

X2. That was hilarious!

I don't think 5-6' of leader is too short. With that leader length, the difference in stretch between mono and fluorocarbon is negligible. How much is it really gonna stretch from a 3-5oz jig...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warbird226warbird226 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Are you guys fishing in the Palm Beach area? I would love to join some time somewhere. I live in Stuart and no one here fishes Kayak offshore. Please let me know if anyone is going out I would love to learn more.
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Lmfao, hey im about ready to pull the trigger on one of them fishbags. Im thinking I could velcro it around my neck but keep my arms free so I could wear your cooler and keep fishing! It's freaking HOT out there man!
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    oarknot wrote: »
    Lmfao, hey im about ready to pull the trigger on one of them fishbags. Im thinking I could velcro it around my neck but keep my arms free so I could wear your cooler and keep fishing! It's freaking HOT out there man!

Those bags ****
    oarknot wrote: »

I would be the happiest guy if you rolled around with one of my fishbags. From one socially inept hateful degenerate to another. Xoxo
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 486 Deckhand
    How can you be hateful Mike. Don't know how anyone can like stupid. I guess when you are you just don't know it and everything's fine. The only thing I know about jigging is it hurts my arms a lot and when it feels like you can't do it anymore your just getting warmed up. If you can't tie knots get a book and learn and eventually you will find where the stupid fish live if you do it enough.
    HHaha well put Andy