Florida dudes catching salmon in California

Doc Weber introduced me to Mickey and Ben last April when they came to Florida. They invited me to come along when Doc made his annual salmon trip in August. I had never fished the west coast so with permission from my war department (Barbara), Doc and I headed to Sacramento Sunday Aug 17. Mickey and Ben met us at the airport and mercifully allowed us to rest up a night before making the 4 hour trip to Ft Bragg the next day. The drastic change in climate from Sacramento to Ft. Bragg was a new experience, 90's to low 60's in a 4 hour ride. Doc had advised me to dress like we do for Florida winter fishing and I'm glad I did. We got to Ben's house Monday afternoon and proceeded to get rigged up for fishing the next day. We were joined by Rusty, Dennis and Alan. I also learned a few new knots during the rigging/BS session complements of Doc and Alan. It's always great to hang around experienced anglers with different backgrounds and pick their brains.

We fished Tues, Wed and Thurs. We caught fish every day and good sized ones too, ranging from 18 to 28 lbs. We ended up with more considerably more than a 100 lbs of salmon fillets from the group's total catch. Ben, Mickey, Alan, Dennis and Alan generously gave the majority of their catch to Doc and I so we ended up packing home about 50 lbs of salmon each. Friday we packed up and headed back to Mickey's house and just took it easy. Saturday Mickey and Ben drove us up to Lake Tahoe which was a real treat for me as I had never been there.

Sunday we had an uneventful (long) flight home.

I want to thank Doc, Ben and Mickey for one of the most enjoyable fishing trips I've had. Ben and Mickey were very patient and didn't harass the newbie on their boat to much and certainly put us on the fish. Special thanks to Mickey's wife Kathy for her hospitality and allowing us to stay in their home.

Here's a few pics from the trip, enjoy.

6:00 am launch.

100_9586.jpg

Mickey on left and Ben strategizing.

100_9581.jpg

My first King Salmon!

100_9583.jpg

Day one, cloudy, hunting for fish and trying to avoid big nasty jelly fish fouling our trolling gear. Caught a couple of salmon.

100_9601.jpg

Day two started off with a double header for me and Mickey.

100_9604.jpg

Day three only one fish for me but it was my biggest at 27+ lbs. Doc and Ben also hauled in some big ones.

20140820_115524.jpg

Third day was sunny and beautiful.

20140820_125931.jpg

Gilled the fish and let them bleed out in a tray.

20140821_112704.jpg

Two fish worth of fillets.

20140820_160921.jpg

Fillets Florida bound!

20140822_081111.jpg

The "dormitory" shared by three smelly old fishermen (myself included).

20140822_084133.jpg

The view from Ben's backyard, that's the Pacific in the distance.

100_9633.jpg

Our trip to Tahoe started with short hike.

20140823_112849.jpg

Lake Tahoe in the distance.

20140823_113132.jpg

20140823_114600.jpg

Cel phone shots as we drove the perimeter of Tahoe.

20140823_121732.jpg

20140823_121924.jpg

100_9636.jpg

100_9639.jpg

100_9637.jpg

100_9643.jpg

I'll post more pics and annotate when I get time.

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,054 Admiral
    I'll be happy to store some of those fillets at my house for you! I wouldn't want you to get sick from eating them all yourself. You might get...........Salmon-ella!
    23895.gif
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,589 Moderator
    I call Ahh -baloney on that 3rd pic. Out West they say Abalone :grin

So , you gonna get flashers , line counter reels , long whippy 9' rods to fish the cobia tournament next year ? :cool: :wink

That's one heck of a trip and LOTS of salmon dinners !
    Thanks for sharing.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 423 Deckhand
    capt louie wrote: »
    I call Ahh -baloney on that 3rd pic. Out West they say Abalone :grin

So , you gonna get flashers , line counter reels , long whippy 9' rods to fish the cobia tournament next year ? :cool: :wink

That's one heck of a trip and LOTS of salmon dinners !
    Thanks for sharing.

**** Louie! You're giving away my strategy for the next Big Fish tourney. :fishing
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,589 Moderator
    :grin Cats out of the bag !
    "You'll get your weather"
    UFO in this photo?

100_9639.jpg
    23895.gif
    WHOA! I was joking about the UFO, but what is that in the lower right of this one???? Bear maybe?

100_9637_zps882409ce.jpg
    23895.gif
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,331 Captain
    The first is a bug on the windshield. The second is just your typical Sierra Yeti.
    The first is a bug on the windshield. The second is just your typical Sierra Yeti.

That's not a yeti Doc, don't you remember that is one of the many times that Mickey had to stop and pee!
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,331 Captain
    Nah. That's a Yeti. Those dang things would get into our garbage all the time when we lived out there. Or maybe it was coyotes. I get them mixed up.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,664 Captain
    Nah. That's a Yeti.

Nope. Looks like a Fish Haid to me. They are extremely elusive and seem to be able to use Photoshop....with some help of course.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Billy wrote: »
    Nope. Looks like a Fish Haid to me. They are extremely elusive and seem to be able to use Photoshop....with some help of course.

Bill

After closely inspecting the image, I believe your right Billy!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,863 Captain
    Nice Salmon trip Butch. It always nice to experience some different kinds of fishing. We did the Salmon on the Kenai and will always have fond memories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Excellent Pics and fish!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    Great pics and thanks for sharing...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 414 Deckhand
    Sounds like a great trip boys. It's fun seeing how they do things on the left coast.
    So, should I come get my fillets, or are you going to bring them over?
    23895.gif