Actioncraft Info

barronromeobarronromeo Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Been looking for a flats boat for awhile. Finally found an older Action Craft 17 Flatsmaster I can afford. Any things to be aware of before I go take a look ? 2006 Mercury 115 ELPTO hanging off the back.

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Barron, your gonna find that Action craft have a good reputation. There are several members who own several AC's.
    If its been awhile, don't get boat fever, look at every deal with a realistic eye. Know you strengths and weakness's as far as projects go and evaluate it. Don't get caught up in thoughts of how good you'll look fishing skinny. Look at the wiring, rigging, and electrical system. Is it a bunch of spaghetti or a well laid out setup. Check the fuel tank or at least inquire, start talking replacement cost in making any deals. Check the transom area for any signs of unfilled holes from anything from old trim tabs, transducers, missing screws in a garboard drain. Anything that may have compromised its integrity. Check splashwell/transom for stress cracks. check the decks out. A common problem with any screwed down console is them ripping from the deck. Again check for empty screw holes or signs that the console has been moved. If the holes were wollowed out, some places will remount in a different position to get a better hold. who knows what they did to seal or repair the old holes. Don't forget to check out the trailer if applicable. It really stinks to be on the side of the road on the way home with your new boat.lol

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    AC makes a nice boat.

I have a Newport bay boat which used to be made by AC. I don't think you'll find any wood in the boat, at least there is none in my boat.
  • barronromeobarronromeo Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys I am scheduled to go look at it this weekend. Now I have some good ideas of what to look for. I have been looking so long and passed on so many boats it won't take much for me to walk away. Plenty of boats for sale out there.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    How'd the boat look? Buy it?
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,024 Officer
    I seriously considered buying an Action Craft before I purchased my present skiff. They're solid hulls with some nice features!
  • barronromeobarronromeo Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Going on vacation in October and when I come back going to pull the trigger on a boat. Looking at three and going with the one that gives me the best deal. Hopefully letting them sit there for another month may bring the prices down