Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Manatee official wants to ban specific fishing line to spare birds

BRADENTON --

A Manatee County official is warning anglers that a popular rig to catch bait fish could be a thing of the past.

Sabiki rigs are lightweight fishing line with many small hooks. They're used to catch baitfish. A county commissioner is working to pass a county-wide ordinance banning the use of the hooks because, she says, they are killing too many local birds.

Carol Whitmore says her proof is pictures of hundreds of birds hooked and killed by people being careless with their lines along Manatee fishing docks.

After receiving approval from the county commission, Whitmore has been going to Manatee County leaders and showing them the pictures.

She is hoping the county and city of Bradenton can work on an ordinance that outlaws the use of sabiki rigs and other multiple hook lines on city and county property. She says that so far, local leaders have agreed that something needs to be done.

"I have had overwhelming support for this," Whitmore said. "Because they realize it’s such a problem and they are seeing a lot of our wildlife dead and it can be prevented."

Whitmore’s next step will be to have a public hearing on the matter. She says an ordinance could be in place within the next six months.

Experienced fishermen say anglers should use a heavy enough sinker so that the birds can't get into the line in the water.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/7/30/manatee_official_wan.html

How much property does Manatee County have on the water?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

Replies

• ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Mango Man wrote: »

Experienced fishermen say anglers should use a heavy enough sinker so that the birds can't get into the line in the water.

Glad they cleared that up. No wonder it's so hard to cast those things! :rolleyes

This is more likely an issue of garbage being left on the shore... With some birds getting too bold and trying to grab baits off sabikis as they come up toward bridges and the like.

Is banning them the right answer? It might be a good idea from certain high bridges. It would set a bad precedent though, that's for sure.

Either way it sounds like it's being pushed along by people who don't really understand the situation, which always seems to be the case.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • z63z63 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Manatee county also has a stupid ordinance that you cant throw cleaned fish in the water you have to bag them and throw them in a trash can because they are hurting the birds that consume them. I think Manatee County politicians should focus on more important issues. In response to the question of how much waterfront property is owned by the county, you would be surprised. Robinson Preserve, Neal Preserve, the miles of county beaches, every bridge that crosses any body of water all the boat ramps etc........Big brother is just too big for his own good, and to the detriment of the people that fund big brother. What about the thousands of birds at the dump, maybe we should have an ordinance banning solid waste disposal sites to protect the birds that make the daily pilgrimage.....Ridiculous
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 14,148 AG
    I have never in my life even come close to losing a sabiki. Then again, I haven't used one from a bridge in a decade or more.

Is this really a problem?
  • AnglerMikeAnglerMike Posts: 84 Deckhand
    County commissioners with no real job, nothing better to do, and zero understanding of what they propose.

Sabiki kills that many birds? Really? I'd love to see her quantify that with scientific proof. On a report paid for by a special interest group or someone other than the gov't.

Not that Palmetto police department has cops that had been fired from other agencies for misconduct, etc., or that the gang problem in Bradenton is out of control....no no. None of those are problems that need to be addressed. God forbid they offend a group of people who probably don't pay taxes or are part of the good ol' boy system.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    I think the sabikis killing birds is a good thing. Cut out the stupid ones from the breeding pool. Evolution in its finest. Maybe all birds in the future will leave our lines alone. In all seriousness though that is absurd.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,054 Officer
    Ban people from feeding birds (all animals), in particular fish scraps to birds!. I believe that birds have come to associate fishermen with free, easy food.
    You see fishermen and captains feeding their carcasses to the pelicans. People on the beach feeding gulls. It's throwing back an undersized fish and a pelican or cormorant gets it when tossing back without looking to see if the birds are there (ice cubes thrown at them seems to work best for me).
    Once again its the idiots that ruin it...
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,157 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »

Is this really a problem?
    No, IMHO, but if you watch the Bay News 9 video they're showing pictures of birds that have become entangled in mono/braid and it's not sabiki rigs. I'm betting more birds are killed by cars, kids shooting BB guns and many other ways. This is nothing but a feel good move and a way for this politician to splash her name all over the media.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    We're working on it.

You and Mike should give her a call.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,054 Officer
    Mango Man wrote: »
    I'm betting more birds are killed by cars, kids shooting BB guns and many other ways...
    like oil + Corexit
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Dont take this the wrong way as I am far from political. She is not the ordinary politician wanting to get her name out there. She grew up on Anna Maria Island on the water and is friends with a local family (the vet on the islands wife) who regularly rescues birds wrapped up in line. Many times dead in the trees. They definately find more birds and discarded line than you would think. She must have a great lure collection from the mangroves too We have two public piers that I think may be the source of a lot of the problem. When I read the article the other day I too wondered how many could get hooked in sabikis. Not sure banning them is the answer. Call her she can explain her postion- Carol Whitmore ,Manatee County Commisioner.
    Well, banning a particular rig isn't going to stop a discarded line issue. That's a problem that would require enforcement, and it's nearly impossible to do that.

Plus, all the lower-income people who go out there to fish, they litter, dump old mono, etc., and no police want to deal with those folks. I see that crap all the time, and I won't specify which group I'm referring to.......but you locals know.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,157 AG
    We're working on it.
    Care to go into detail?

Abraham Lincoln
    We plan on some FGA members contacting the commissioners.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • SeaBoss180ccSeaBoss180cc Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    AnglerMike wrote: »
    Well, banning a particular rig isn't going to stop a discarded line issue. That's a problem that would require enforcement, and it's nearly impossible to do that.

Plus, all the lower-income people who go out there to fish, they litter, dump old mono, etc., and no police want to deal with those folks. I see that crap all the time, and I won't specify which group I'm referring to.......but you locals know.

Plenty of high income people litter too. Don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise. They just do it from the boat where no one can see.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    permit_me wrote: »
    Ban people from feeding birds (all animals), in particular fish scraps to birds!. I believe that birds have come to associate fishermen with free, easy food.
    You see fishermen and captains feeding their carcasses to the pelicans. People on the beach feeding gulls. It's throwing back an undersized fish and a pelican or cormorant gets it when tossing back without looking to see if the birds are there (ice cubes thrown at them seems to work best for me).
    Once again its the idiots that ruin it...

This ^^^^

The bird lovers kill more birds by doing exactly this!!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    CCA commenting on this Steve?

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Yes we will Ted already sent out an e-mail.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    surfman wrote: »
    This ^^^^

The bird lovers kill more birds by doing exactly this!!

But that also requires enforcement. I.e. the cops that see it happening need to stop it instead of ignoring it. But that may ruin the day for a vacationer!

So many of these 'problems' could be dealt with via enforcing the current laws on the books, not making new 'hot-topic' laws that will briefly be enforced then ignored.

Perhaps commissioners could petition for better enforcement?
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    Perhaps she doesn't realize that we use those birds for bait!
  • Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    This infuriates me, as a mostly shore bound angler, I am with the masses of googens that have no clue what there doing, I have stoped going to fort desoto piers because half the time I'm trying to avoid other peoples lines, If this thing spreads to other counties I will be quite angry, cause some of the piers I fish won't let you throw a net.
    This infuriates me, as a mostly shore bound angler, I am with the masses of googens that have no clue what there doing, I have stoped going to fort desoto piers because half the time I'm trying to avoid other peoples lines, If this thing spreads to other counties I will be quite angry, cause some of the piers I fish won't let you throw a net.

I was there with you for a long, long time, bound to fish shore attachments. And you're exactly right.
  • mdiaczykmdiaczyk Posts: 135 Officer
    Ok she is trying to use her stance to help some of the wildlife organizations. There is no way to enforce it. Sarasota tried to something stupid on the venice pier too... Regarding trolley rigs. Her name is Cathy Whitmore, it would be nice to know how much money she got from these organizations and MOTE. I am not against MOTE. I just think they need to do what they need to do which is not and I repeat not point fingers at fishermen when there are unexplained bird fish and animal deaths. That is what an IT department does point fingers at each other. Some of what they do is to grab the emotions of people to gain there support. It is like this a doctor says wow you could die I need to see you again next week. This person will say sure I will be back next week. This is all a game to keep her name in the news to try to get support for who bank rolled here campaign.
  • mdiaczykmdiaczyk Posts: 135 Officer
    Whitmore or Whoremore, anyway some of you are very funny made me laugh. 50 pound block of chum look at the fishing Calender fish toward the night on the days with the better solunars. The problem will fix it self.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,937 AG
    mdiaczyk wrote: »
    Whitmore or Whoremore,
    Think I'll forward that to her as FS forums offical stance. lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.