Crystal River Offshore 8-28

Jake had a family friend/his barber that wanted to go fishing today. He's done some middle grounds fishing in the past so I knew very well with the red tide it would be hard to impress him. But I was curious if there was some reds inside of 35ft that wanted to eat. I've seen some people get lucky and some be disappointed so I didn't know what to expect. Left from Ocala to pick up the boat, get gas and launch. Arrived in 30ft just before 10am and got some ladyfish and a small cobia for excitement, then 1 23" red. Got tired of catching a grunt or seabass every drop, moved to 38ft. Nothing, nothing at all. Moved to 35ft and it was loaded with grunt and seabass literally piled on top of each other. Figured there had to be some grouper and upgraded the size of the baits and got 3 or 4 nice grouper back to back 1 being a huge gag and a 26" red. Then Jake brings up a 40" bull redfish! First I've seen offshore and it broke off because his drag was too tight. Saw several floating fish mainly grunt and one grouper but figured they drifted in with the tide. Had to have Willie in Ocala for his daughters volleyball game so we packed it up at 1:30pm. Glad to see plenty of life around 35ft so there's still hope everyone bait of choice was about a 3" chunk of ladyfish, had a great day despite the red tide. :fishing

Go Pro Video

http://youtu.be/zMT_CIEj0W8

Replies

• kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 629 Officer
    Wow.. what did that Gag come in at?
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 414 Deckhand
    Sounds as though there areas out there that haven't been hit by the red tide where the fish are massed up. I hope they continue to survive. Good job boys!
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 621 Officer
    Wow.. what did that Gag come in at?

I was guessing 15lbs not sure didn't get an exact measure just held him like 2 ft in front of the tape measure had to many coolers in the way but it was over the 30" mark
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,488 Admiral
    More good news and nice catch!
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    We went out Sunday and got 2 nice gags in about 35-38 ft. Several just under limit on red and gag and about 3 dozen nice size grunts. They seemed to be awful picky about what they ate, but still had a fun time with them. They are out there, just have to find them............

On a side note, there was some commercial fisherman out there in the 35 ft range. I guess he couldn't find anything out further, but he was dead on one of my spots and thought he was going to run me over when we anchored up nearby. What an a..ho.............
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Nice vid! I can't believe you lift those fish in with your rod like that. Going to break more than a handle one day. :) Love those Tiger Ugly Sticks though. Can't beat them.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,449 Officer
    great video and a great day
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 621 Officer
    keypond wrote: »
    Nice vid! I can't believe you lift those fish in with your rod like that. Going to break more than a handle one day. :) Love those Tiger Ugly Sticks though. Can't beat them.

I picture that orange rod out living me it takes a beating I let 4 oz weights crash on it all the time caught most of the grouper and sharks on that same rod and it's flawless we toss it around and accidentally step on it and still has all of it's eyes
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    Nice mess of fish, We have got into some huge schools of Redfish off shore. They will all be some big breeders...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead