8/25 Slammin' in Crusty with Duane

I have been wanting to go out on the Chaz for a couple years and I finally got my chance today with Duane(windsitter) in his trusty Ganoe(spelling?) Crusty. Only problem was that someone left the plug out in the Gulf and all the water drained out overnight it seemed. To make matters worse, there was a consistent wind of 15 kts or so that not only made the water lower, but delayed the incoming tide 1-2 hours. But undaunted, and in Crusty, which will float on sweat, we headed out to find some fish. I'm not known to be conservative in shallow or trecherous water, but I am a neophite compared to Duane. We headed south somewhat to get the earlier incoming, and weaved through narrow channels and rocky shorelines periodically bumping bottom and even walking a couple times. Crusty just floats along and the motor bounces along the bottom with Duane at the tiller and somehow it works and we did not have to walk home. It was a constant battle to keep in position to fish with the strong wind, but we made the best of it. All in all it was a great day and we had fun trying to overcome the conditions and I really appreciate Duane's effort to put me on some fish, show me around and give some excitement with it! Oh, by the way, we got a boat slam with Duane boating an over slot trout and 2 Snook with me adding the Red. Duane lost a large Snook just before we headed back also. Fun day, thanks Duane!

Replies

• HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,224 Officer
    Sorry for the sideways pics. As you can see Billy, Duane won't be replacing you with am as a photographer!
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Thanks for joining me Ted. We got a few in low water and high wind. I'm sure you would have caught more if you weren't fighting the troller all day. You got a good look at the area for sure though. :grin
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,763 Captain
    Looks like the conditions didn't help yer trip but as they say> Get out> Get a couple fish> Get back!> Ain't too shabby!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    Sorry for the sideways pics. As you can see Billy, Duane won't be replacing you with am as a photographer!

Yep...you are fired from picture taking.

I had taken Biggary16 (Gary) out and we encountered not only the same conditions but also encountered you and Duane. Crusty runs in spit but I ran back in to the ramp with not much more water...until my boat bottomed out...while we were on plane! I can only remember one other time it was that low and it was in the middle of the winter with Duane polling most of the time.

At any rate you guys win, we only put a decent jack in the boat, got soaked, Gary lost a big snook (again), got out and pushed twice, and was back drinking beer in the Garagebar by 1:00 PM. :grin

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,866 Captain
    Gheenoes are ideal for days like that. If there's not enough water for it, there's not enough water for the fish either. :)
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Gheenoes are ideal for days like that. If there's not enough water for it, there's not enough water for the fish either. :)

Nice slam, but there is always enough water for my boat.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,508 Moderator
    Nice big trout. That was a big NE wind yesterday.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,842 Captain
    Billy, your job as photographer is safe. Ted, you're fired! Yesterday was a tough day, but you stayed with it and caught fish. I can't believe the water left the Chazz!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 468 Deckhand
    Wow is that Chass a cool place. I thought Ozello was hard to get around all the bars. The Chass is Ozello on steroids. Most of the water we fished I could have waded with my old converse high tops and my ankles would have stayed dry. You really need specialized equipment to get around there. Thanks to Billy for showing my around and getting me on some action. Then twisting my arm for a few cold ones at the gargebar:grin. I still got home in time to do some work. All in all a great day.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,866 Captain
    Nice slam, but there is always enough water for my boat.

True. Though if you completely run aground in a Gheenoe you can get out and push it back to deeper water. Harder to do with a 18-20 foot boat! Not that I.. uh... have ever run completely aground and had to do that or anything :dance
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    Wow is that Chass a cool place. I thought Ozello was hard to get around all the bars. The Chass is Ozello on steroids. Most of the water we fished I could have waded with my old converse high tops and my ankles would have stayed dry. You really need specialized equipment to get around there. Thanks to Billy for showing my around and getting me on some action. Then twisting my arm for a few cold ones at the gargebar:grin. I still got home in time to do some work. All in all a great day.

Glad you enjoyed it. We'll do it again when we have some water.

I can go skinny but less than six inches deep and I'm down for the count...as you saw. :) Even a jet (had one years ago) would have had some issues, in the area where we had to pole and push through, and that's assuming those weeds didn't get sucked up into the jet drive. With Duane's Gheenoe you can almost pick it up and carry it through those dry spots. :)

One nice thing about fishing there though is the lack of boat traffic.

Bill
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Really cool area to fish. I remember doing that kind of fishing years ago in my gheeno.
    ripnlips wrote: »
    Really cool area to fish.

One learns how to make good presentations, read the water, and find out where the fish are if one fishes this area. Especially using artificial baits. I wouldn't trade it for anything although I like seeing new places and fishing different kinds of water.

Nothing like eating a Subway sub and drinking a cold beer back in an area that not many even venture. Might be the "back to nature" in me but I'll take a trip there over catching a bunch of fish any day. And the up side is we catch a lot of fish...usually. :)

I spent a bunch of time learning the area on my own, many days simply trying to figure out how and where you can go, but having Duane as a teacher has been invaluable in learning even more of the area.

Bill
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,763 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »

They are great boats for getting in shallow and getting out! I mighta told Y'all this before but I had one years ago and have many fond memories of trips in it! I probably would still have it (never would have sold it!) but I loan it to my Little Brother who lives over in the Big Easy to check out some bayou's in it and this little girl named Katrina stole it right outa his back yard never to be seen again!! I can only hope some Coonazz might have salvaged it in good enough shape to be still catchin something outa it? I sho wished I had it still!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Nice report and that sure is a hog trout! :beer
    cthurow wrote: »
    that sure is a hog trout!

I did see it out on the water and it was a hog trout but how could you tell with the lack of photographer skills that was exhibited? :rotflmao

Bill
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,842 Captain
    Oh! That's a trout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,224 Officer
    I was only expecting to be photographed, not taking them....had an off day, I guess. It would help my photographic skills if I could actually see my phone in the sun without glasses on. :banghead
    I was only expecting to be photographed, not taking them....had an off day, I guess. It would help my photographic skills if I could actually see my phone in the sun without glasses on. :banghead

All my pictures for the last few years, posted on here and FB, have been taken with an iPhone 4S. It does great, as many have noted on my posts, and it's better than any of my cameras. And I can see it without my glasses. :)

Bill
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice HT!