Boston Big Game kite... Sunday..8.24.14.PBI

Bro and I went out Sunday. Lately when we've gone out of PB there has been much wind but we brought the SFE kites and the small kite rod just in case. His boat's bait well wasn't working so we used my boat. we go down to the Dodge wall about 80' of water. there was some weed patches around. we put baits out and waited... and waited... current was headed North, wind out of NW... we put the drift sock/sea anchor out on North side of boat.. slowly made our way North.. after a while i got bored and said lets put a kite up. we tried both SFE's not enough wind.. said lets try the BBG kite (so small always on my boat)... sure enough we got it up.. we put one bait on it to see if it would hold.. it did.. 15 minutes later we get a hit... on the kite... fish spits hook.. put another gog out.. loosened the tension on the clip some.. 20 min later.. kite gets hit again.. and.. once again... fish goes byebye.. meanwhile, the free swimmers, weighted gogs are living the easy life.. no hits on them.. well.. since the kite got hit twice.. we take the free swimmer and put it on with another kite bait.. wind seemed to have picked up a little and the kite could handle both... 20 min later.. short kite bait gets wacked...line is going out rapidly.. then nothing.. bro is getting pretty pissed now.. reel in line... wire leader broke... by then we were off the Tiara and there was a massive shark swimming around the boat, bro decided he had enough and we went in.

BBG kite went up real easy.. was pretty stable in the light wind and handled the 2 baits fine. definitely had a lot more action on the kite.

Bro is out of town this weekend, so, if anyone would like to join me either saturday or sunday, drop a pm..

catch 'em up!!
attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365

Replies

• BigNiner19BigNiner19 Posts: 299 Deckhand
    Toothy critters like the kite baits splashing around too! Were you able to reel in all the slack quickly as the strike happened? If there is any slack they dont get hooked well
    Double Seas
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,351 Officer
    What kind of hooks were you using? Circle or J hooks
  • Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 273 Deckhand
    circle.. he had the rod for each hit. he would let it fish run with it for little bit before he tightened the drag.
    I don't like letting the fish run for a bit before I take up all the slack to me it gives the fish more chance to spit it out, while striper fishing in the Delaware Bay a lot of fisherman wanted to let the fish run 3 second five second count and then set the hook I noticed there were just too many dropped baits doing this I like the circle hook and as soon as the slack was out the hook was set.
    when I saw the title with the thumbs down and the Boston kite I thought you had a problem with the kite I just ordered one will be here Thursday can't wait to try it out last Sunday I was on the kite fishing seminar with Captain Mike of angler management monday I ordered the kite and kit ,
    yesterday I bought 3 new combos with fin nor marquise 20 conventional reels. my fishing addiction it's getting to be more than I can afford
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,072 Officer
    HAHA great stuff here, the BBG kite's are truly game changers when it comes to light wind fishing... Tori, let meknow if you need any help with anything I know its been a bit since I saw you last...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.anglermanagementfishing.com
    Check out our Charter Fishing Videos: Click Here

Click Here for the 2017 Annual Seminar Details
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    when I saw the title with the thumbs down and the Boston kite I thought you had a problem with the kite I just ordered one will be here Thursday can't wait to try it out last Sunday I was on the kite fishing seminar with Captain Mike of angler management monday I ordered the kite and kit ,
    yesterday I bought 3 new combos with fin nor marquise 20 conventional reels. my fishing addiction it's getting to be more than I can afford

I saw the thumbs down. .don't know how it got there. .tried to change it, but didn't know how
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Tori'S Toy wrote: »
    I saw the thumbs down. .don't know how it got there. .tried to change it, but didn't know how

No idea what you're talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
    No idea what you're talking about.

The thumbs down is no longer in the threads title
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,316 Captain
    Well nice job OP.
  • no hoo for youno hoo for you Posts: 105 Deckhand
    I was live baiting recently(usually not my thing, I'd rather troll) and had numerous bite offs. Was using a circle hook/stinger rig and 69lb steel wire. Talked to a couple of guys and was told to switch to Titanium. I changed it up and since then the last 2 times I live baited, only had 1 bite off.
    forgot i had taken a picture of the kite flying...
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,762 Captain
    very interesting thread, thanks everyone!!
    I was live baiting recently(usually not my thing, I'd rather troll) and had numerous bite offs. Was using a circle hook/stinger rig and 69lb steel wire. Talked to a couple of guys and was told to switch to Titanium. I changed it up and since then the last 2 times I live baited, only had 1 bite off.

What do you mean by a "bite off?" They were biting off the stinger rig; and then the titianium solved this problem b/c it's stronger? Or they are biting off just the tail and missing the stinger rig in which case I don't think the type of wire matters unless you are saying the titanium is less visible--which I don't see unless you are using a different # or lb rated titanium making it thinner, in which case you are still using the same stinger which is the most visible. Third option is luck. Every king fisherman prefers different wire, single strand, 7 strand (me), titanium, etc. and will swear whatever they are using is better. Ford v. Chevy
  • no hoo for youno hoo for you Posts: 105 Deckhand
    brianb wrote: »
    What do you mean by a "bite off?" They were biting off the stinger rig; and then the titianium solved this problem b/c it's stronger? Or they are biting off just the tail and missing the stinger rig in which case I don't think the type of wire matters unless you are saying the titanium is less visible--which I don't see unless you are using a different # or lb rated titanium making it thinner, in which case you are still using the same stinger which is the most visible. Third option is luck. Every king fisherman prefers different wire, single strand, 7 strand (me), titanium, etc. and will swear whatever they are using is better. Ford v. Chevy

They were biting thru the steel wire. Sometimes just the stinger, others above the circle hook. Maybe its just me but the Titanium held up much better. Oh yeah. Any missed fish due to wire failure "Is a Wahoo".
    They were biting thru the steel wire. Sometimes just the stinger, others above the circle hook. Maybe its just me but the Titanium held up much better. Oh yeah. Any missed fish due to wire failure "Is a Wahoo".

It is very unusual for a fish to bite through 69lb wire, it happens, but it is a rarity. I might check your haywires when using the wire. In the end, whatever works for you works so no reason to debate. More than one way to skin a cat, et al. Catch 'em up!