Home General Freshwater Fishing

Lake Tarpon Advice West Central

Hey everyone,
So i took the yak out in a freshwater lake for the first time 2 weekends ago. I caught a couple decent bass, and i gotta be honest, I'm hooked on bass. With that being said, i am very new to freshwater fishing, have always been a saltwater guy.

I live about 10 minutes from one of the best freshwater lakes in the State, Lake Tarpon. Now it is much larger than the lake i took the yak out one 2 weeks ago. So I'm looking for any pointers that anyone can offer up.

Spots, things to look for, tackle.

Let me say, i fully understand the best way to learn a body of water is to get out and fish it. That is what i plan on doing, but being in a kayak, the ability to cover alot of water and fish different applications isn't always the easiest thing.

With it being in the dog days of summer, i plan on fishing docks, weeds, pads, things of that nature. Or throwing a crankbait into deeper water. All while trying to stay out of heavy boat traffic.

So anyone that can give me some guidance would be awesome.
1. Where is a good spot to launch?
2. Essential tackle to bring and where to use it
3. Basic things to look for that could hold fish this time of the year?

Or if you plan on fishing the lake in the next couple weeks (on the weekend) that would be great to meet up.

Thanks guys, your insight is much appreciated. Look forward to getting out there!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    Guess you launched at Anderson park. There is another park on the SE end I've seen but don't know the name of.
    Tarpon has good fish and the idle markers around the lake will keep you from getting buzzed near the shore.
    It's getting to be shad time there. The fish will key on them big time so lipless crankbaits and the like will catch plenty of fish especially if you find them schooling. Keep an eye on the birds.

I would fish as you normally do but keep a rod ready if they come up schooling that you can cast a long way.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nymetsfan8131nymetsfan8131 Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Thanks Capt. Louie,
    I have never fished in Lake Tarpon, but i was planning on either launching at Anderson as you mentioned, or the park in the SE corner (John Chestnut park) Just Google Earthing there is some good looking spots really no matter where launching from. Just didnt know if fish congregate in a certain part of the lake during different times of the year. If they all move to the north part of the lake in summer and im fishing in the south... that kind of thing..... not sure if Bass behave that way or not?
    Thanks for the input, good to know! I would have never thought to look for birds dive bombing bait in a freshwater situation, in Salt that applies in many applications. Good to know. Thanks!!!
    capt louie wrote: »
    Guess you launched at Anderson park. There is another park on the SE end I've seen but don't know the name of.
    Tarpon has good fish and the idle markers around the lake will keep you from getting buzzed near the shore.
    It's getting to be shad time there. The fish will key on them big time so lipless crankbaits and the like will catch plenty of fish especially if you find them schooling. Keep an eye on the birds.

I would fish as you normally do but keep a rod ready if they come up schooling that you can cast a long way.
    It's shallower out of Chestnut (couldn't remember the name) with more weeds in that area. The shad should be on that side due to the West winds blowing a lot of the plankton over there. Watch for cormorants working. They follow the shad and work them over pretty good along with the terns. Pay no attention to seagulls unless they are wheeling and diving repetedly . They only do that when bass are schooling or the ducks are pushing up shad. The terns are your best bet , keep an eye on them . They will show where the bait school is.
  • paranoid.androidparanoid.android Posts: 97 Deckhand
    http://laketarpon.org/bassmap.jpg

Lots of jet skis and big boats to contend with in Tarpon.
    Rogers landing on the north side is in a nice cover and near some fishable docks on the big lake.
    You could also put in somewhere along the south canal for fishing a variety of cover, structure and deep water.
    Dolly Bay was always a productive area when I used to fish the lake.
    Great,
    I happened upon that map yesterday while googling some stuff on the Lake. Thanks for the input! I actually used to live right off of that canal and used to fish from the side. Would often catch one or two but never though to take the yak. I was going to launch in the south part of the lake and work down the canal if necessary.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to lend your advice.
    Great,
    I happened upon that map yesterday while googling some stuff on the Lake. Thanks for the input! I actually used to live right off of that canal and used to fish from the side. Would often catch one or two but never though to take the yak. I was going to launch in the south part of the lake and work down the canal if necessary.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to lend your advice.

That's why we are here. Post a report of your trip !
    As soon as i can get out i will share what happened. Thanks again guys!
  • kmander3kmander3 Posts: 107 Officer
    I haven't been out in a bit since I've been busy with a new job. However when I was there in June and early July the swim bait bite was very hot early in the morning. There is thick hydrilla/grass (I'm always terrible with vegetation names) on the other side of the lake from salmon bay, the launch at anderson park. Get there early and fish your favorite swim bait over the thick stuff. Your going to get hit by a lot of small fish but don't get frustrated cause when a decent one hits they don't tend to miss.

Also on the west side north of the mouth of salmon bay and south of the tarpon turtle there is normally decent crank bait fishing on the ledges out there.