Home General Freshwater Fishing

Drop shot tackle

Hi all,

Anyone tried drop shot fishing in the canals?

Curious to try a different technique.

Opinions?

Advise?

Replies

• StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    I've never tried it in the canal system down here, but might be a good technique around the bridges.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    I don't know why it wouldn't work.
    Advise Medium Light 7 foot spinning rod rigged with 6 lb flouro . IMO flouro is a must with drop shots , don't go heavier than 8lb
    Size 1 mosquito hook . Also you can tie a simple knot and just add split shots as the weight. My plastic of choice on a drop shot is a robo worm. If you haven't fished a drop shot before , it is either productive and fun , due to the light set up. Or boring . You have to have patience and be able to stand having a good fish break you off
    Man... David, now you're costing me money. Think I might have to give it a shot. Post a report when you give it a shot.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,217 Moderator
    I tried it on Rousseau. Since it is an impoundment with an old river channel and standing timber it sets up right for the technique .

Caught a really good fish around 7lb and a load of small bass upriver where it's clearer. Heading to TAlquin soon and may try it there ..
    "You'll get your weather"
    I saw a guy drop shotting on Lake Ida. I've thinking of some spots where drop shotting may be productive.