Aquasports boat

Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
Hey guys looking for opinions on a 92 osprey 175 with a 150 merc. Boat looks pretty good. Reviews online look ok as well. Anyone have or had one. Good bad and ugly? Thanks in advance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat

Replies

• VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 317 Deckhand
    I almost bought one a few years ago. I like the layout. The main negative I found was that many had soft spots on the deck near the center console. Just check the one you are interested in for soft spots.
  • akbridgeakbridge Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I have a 1971 170. Its the same hull with a different liner. The ride is good in general. It can be a rough ride in nasty conditions, but it is a 17' boat with a 12 degree dead rise. Check the floor for soft spots and pull up/push down on the cavitation plate to see if the transom is solid. The sole and transom are the only parts of these boats with wood. So check carefully. The boat will not self bail with a 150 on the back. Heck most don't with a 90. But it should do mid to high 40s with a 150 on the back. You should visit classic aquasport dot com For more info. The folks there are a wealth of knowledge.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 337 Officer
    Price point boat, so on that year depending on previous owners soft spots would be first to look for, hatches could be rough and need attention, general maintenance on screws. I have a 2000 and it's a great all around boat similar to a mako 17. 90hp Johnson on the back with a top speed around 37mph with 2 people and gear. Kinda short on storage space, but then again it's a 17' boat. Trolling motor on the bow can work the flats, and I have had it out for dolphin. I use plugs in the bailing holes, only take them out when diving or when the Live well overflows onto the deck. I also have flappers on the outside to keep water from rushing in on reverse with plugs not in.

Trim tabs help a lot, with a 150 on the back I would just make sure it sits ok in the water. Like with buying any boat a water test will tell all tales of the ride.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 566 Officer
    That's a lot of motor for the 17 Osprey. Most were powered with a 115 or less. Look it over well. Especially the transom for any cracks. My old 86 200 Osprey was not well made. It had a 140HP Johnson.
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Ok thanks for the info. Haven't been able to get over to See it. Owner has had a local marina do all the work. Lots of motor work/maintenance. New fuel tank. He claims its a black max model but I haven't verified. I was concerned with weight also. I really like the layout. There asking 3200. Little high to me. But cash talks. Thanks again.
  • leel33mlleel33ml Posts: 143 Deckhand
    I have a 2001 175. Has been a solid boat for me. Selling it for a bigger boat though! Gotta say it does get really shallow for a bay boat. And handles a decent chop.
  • snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Just throwing in my .02c. I have a 1986 17' Aquasport and it's a great all round boat. It's great for 2 fishing the flats or flamingo and also have had it out for dolphin when it's calm. Like some said it will not self bail with 150 on transom and I keep plugs in mine always and it has a90hp. The best part is that I can launch and retrieve it myself. Also mine is a older Hialeah built hull and yours is a genmar product. Also it's easy to tow and you don't need a huge tow vehicle.
    When all else fails...jiggle that wire:\
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Thanks for the info, she is sitting at the house. New SEI lower unit will be here tomorrow. Going to clean up some wiring. New pumps and uplostery. Trailer has new axle and springs. Lot of polishing and sanding. Filling a few old screw holes. Gel coat color matching is a ****:mad Any advice on polishing the boat is welcomed. I am looking at a polisher/buffer. Ill share some pics here in a bit.