Home General Freshwater Fishing

Small Streams - Ultralight trout spinning

BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,508 Admiral
Strange summer here.

Very hot for ten days then ten days of rain, like a tropical storms.
Well, in any case rain means small streams for me, looking for some wild trout.
Yes, because after the rain the predators activity reach the peak in those small rivers and so this is the moment to looking for the big ones.

As gear my St Croix Triumph 5' up to 6# with Shimano Ci4 1000 and 8# mono.
As lure the classic mepps, nothing better in shallow and small water.

Fishing in those particular environment isn't easy, at all.
Trees and bushes all around (even submerged), need to fishing in little water with high accuracy, ability to cast from far to avoid that fishes get scare.

This a sample of the classic hot spot.

2q8vvr7.jpg

But with some year of experience and with an (please, forgive my immodesty) "hot hand" is possible to have a lot of good time.

The size of the trouts is (obviously) usually small but after rain there is a chance to meet the queens of the stream.

In any case the activity of the fishes in those moments is at his peak and fishing with accurancy any throw is a catch.
This one is the first one at the first throw.

xfyply.jpg

Released (here to release is mandatory, no sense to kill these little jewels).

2ii96xe.jpg

As said the average size is small but someone more big can be hooked.
This is a classic brown trout, a foot more or less.

2q8wso5.jpg

And here is when the trout came back at home.

[video=youtube_share;EkecrzZfVZ8]

And sometime also the real queen would like to meet you.
This amazing marble trout (kinda hybrid with brown) got hooked with the last throw in a spot almost impossible to reach.

5ewr42.jpg
2prgwvq.jpg

Using ultralight gear the fun is assured with this kind of fishes.

But first the fun, then the duty.
So, bye bye baby, see you next time.

[video=youtube_share;rmjan1cM5HA]

And now watching to weather forecast, waiting the next rain :grin.
Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
Choose common sense, boycott political correctness.
We have to survive the most horrific pandemic we ever had. The Coward-20 virus.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,176 Moderator
    Awesome ! That stuff is really fun and brings back memories of youth for anyone who does it.

Most of us started on small water and it has it's special challenges and special rewards. Thanks for sharing and watch out for those giant catfish :grin
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Hunting and fishing all rolled into one. Ultra small spinner or Balls of Fire did the trick for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,508 Admiral
    capt louie wrote: »
    Awesome ! That stuff is really fun and brings back memories of youth for anyone who does it.

Most of us started on small water and it has it's special challenges and special rewards. Thanks for sharing and watch out for those giant catfish :grin
    :grin

No catfish there, just youth sweet memories :wink.
    Flash wrote: »
    Hunting and fishing all rolled into one. Ultra small spinner or Balls of Fire did the trick for me.
    Exactly :wink, hunting & fishing in the same time.

Balls of fire :huh ?
    Salmon eggs ?

My YouTube Channel

• RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    Nice work Ballak, looks like a cool place to fish.
    Thanks.

Yes, one man, one rod, one lure in the wild.
    The state of art of the spinning IMHO :wink.

My YouTube Channel

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Ballak wrote: »
    :grin

No catfish there, just youth sweet memories :wink.

Exactly :wink, hunting & fishing in the same time.

Balls of fire :huh ?
    Salmon eggs ?

Yes, Salmon eggs. Feed them down stream while keep a loose grip on the line. Great method is there is too much over growth to throw a spinner or fly fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Cool report !!! Looks like fun .is that Italy?
    An if so what part of the boot ????
    Thanks.
    Yes, NW Italy.

My YouTube Channel

• pergatronpergatron Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Great report, nothing like ultralight spinning in the brooks....
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,101 AG
    Nice report. Looks like Southern Applachians here in the US.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    I'm gonna have to disagree w/ you on this one! I grew up fishing small streams in the Northeast with a spinning rod but by age 11 I had pretty much completely switched over to flyfishing! I still used a little spinning rod once in a while but even in the bushiest tangles of rhododendron, mountain laurel and generic sticker bushes I still preferred my small fly rod!! I'm still lucky enough to get up north a couple times a year and my main priority is flyfishing the my home streams of Northwest New Jersey's Delaware River Valley. Believe it or not we still have wild stream born trout in N.J. Browns, Rainbows, Brookies and even some wild tiger trout> Male brook trout & female brown trout spawn together produce the sterile Tiger trout! They are still in the process of collecting Brook Trout DNA throughout it's entire range from N.E. Canada down to the mountain tops of Georgia and west to the Great lakes! While studying N.J. they found 3 or 4 places that still held wild brook trout that had not been spoiled by hatchery fish and still had the original DNA of N.J.'s only native trout!! I was shocked! I had worked for the old trout hatchery in N.J. back in the mid 70's and we thought that all the true wild brookies were long gone back then!! It was awesome news!! Also there were native brookies surviving in all the other states studied except Rhode Island! This means that some day w/ lots of hard work, NATIVE Trout may make a come back in the Eastern U.S. They are my Favorite fish and maybe the most beautiful fish that swims!!
    Sorry to get off topic but it's a subject close to my heart!! But back to your post> They are beautiful trout and I'm sure they didn't come to net easy!! Thanks for posting and please send more photo's of your stream jewels!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    I like so much this kind of OT.
    I'm always charmed by trouts around the world and any experience is really appreciated.
    In particular the wild raimbow, at his home (we have some wild colonies of them here, and I've caught them), is definetely in my list.

My YouTube Channel

• Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Ballak wrote: »
    I like so much this kind of OT.
    I'm always charmed by trouts around the world and any experience is really appreciated.
    In particular the wild raimbow, at his home (we have some wild colonies of them here, and I've caught them), is definetely in my list.

Sounds like You have an awesome trout fishery there in Italy> Who knew??? I really enjoy Your posts and photo's! Have You ever been to the "Fly Dreamers" site? It's Fly Fishers from all over the world contributing info on their areas. Even if You don't fly fish I think you would really enjoy it!! Check it out just Google Fly Dreamers!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    Thanks.
    I hope to have more pics soon.

Actually we had a lot of issues concerning trouts.
    Our endemic (native) species are Marbled in the northern and Mediterranean in the peninsular Italy, but both are involved in serious problems of hybridization with brownies (exotic for us, although the older populations are here since the end of Eighteenth Century).
    Moreover we had a lot of problem with illegal fishing, by Italians and more recently from people from East Europe.
    BTW is still possible have good time choosing the more wild spots and trekking a lot through hardest lands.
    Then in some Northern regions the Institutions have understood the value of fisheries for tourism and for residents, and recently they are investing more in conservation.
    In any case we still have a lot to do for save our fisheries, in particular in the southern where the fishing education is growing so slowly.

P.S. I try to open flydreamers.com but it doesn't work.

My YouTube Channel

• red owlred owl Posts: 671 Officer
    I go up to the Smokies about once a year but I've never had any luck on those tiny streams although I'd like to learn. They are so small, how do you cast in such an area and the retrieve of a spinner- it looks like you could only retrieve it about 3 feet, how do trout hit it? Thanks for any pointers.
    In the little brooks with many bushes I use the crossbow (we say so in
    Italy) cast only.
    Is not so easy as technic but also not so hard.

You must grab the lure (spinner, minnow, etc.) from the treble hook (be careful, keep the external side and in case of more treble keep the last one) and flex the rod. Then aim the spot to reach and release the lure.
    The principle is based on the rod elasticity.

Not easy to explain but you can watch these my old footages* to better understand:
    [video=youtube_share;zzsfD5UTMxI]
    [video=youtube_share;Qh4d3QiKn7Y]

This kind of cast is frequently the only for fishing under bushes and trees
    and is also very accurate (obviously the experience is mandatory for have
    the right accurancy).
    And the accurancy, with the mimetism, is the key to fish in these little
    brooks with success.
    About trouts, if there are and they are active, usually you can't finish
    the first crank loop to have the bite :wink.

* obviously: shooting = no fishes around :grin.

My YouTube Channel

Thanks for those videos. It looks like you cast maybe 4 or 5 times in each area and then move on. I also use Mepps. What size and color Mepps do you use? Thanks for any help. I've hiked up a couple of streams in the smokies for brookies but never had much luck. All help appreciated.
    You're welcome.

I use a lot of lures, not just mepps, although the silver red dotted one #2 is my preferred.
    I also use more heavy spinners (e.g. Panther Martin various size), minnows (e.g. Rapala CD #5 and #7), little softbait (3.5/4") with jigheads (1/16 or 1/8 oz in the little brooks) and little marabou jighead.
    It depends on the spot and the conditions (shallow or deep water, flow strength, season, trouts feeding habits in the period, weater conditions, etc.) because if they are in chase they bite anything is passing ahead their mouth and the goal is to understand the lure that in this spot and with this condition surely will pass ahead their mouths.

And yes, usually 3/4 casts are ok in the small spots.
    If the trout is active usually the bite comes at the first cast. So one accurate (accurancy is mandatory) cast in every possible corner of the spot and go up (with lures the brook must be climbed, from valley to mount).

My YouTube Channel

Thanks, also, here in the US most of us think that the only trout in Europe is the Brown Trout. I didn't know there were various types.
    Actually there are various type of brownies, not just one although the scientific classification is the same (Salmo trutta) and as difference is commonly considered only the fenotype (skin colours).
    But between a Britain brown, a German one, a French one and so on there are frequently big differences.
    Our (Italian) endemics trouts are the Marbles in the continental/Northern Italy and the Mediterraneans in the peninsular Italy and islands (Sardinia and Sicily).

My YouTube Channel