Grouper and a Guest!

The sunrise this morning.

cRlXwl.jpg

We got the crew together and left the ramp at 6:00. The pinfish have moved closer in toward the beach but we had to fight through the ladyfish and blue runners to get to them. The live well was blacked out shortly and we were off.

The gulf was beautiful on the way out.

OSopjl.jpg

The first stop was a quick drift over some new bottom in 55ft that produced a few fish.

51tu4l.jpg

hGekNl.jpg

We moved into 65-70ft and found the fish. The first drop produced a double and I landed a 12lber. My older sister kept saying she thought she had a good one on but she had never caught a grouper up to this point and we were all like yeah, I'm sure. She finally got it up and we saw the slob. It went about 15lbs on the bogas.

nTATLl.jpg

We anchored up in 72ft in beautiful blue water and caught the reds until our backs were sore. They were coughing up a lot of these crabs. Anyone know what they are? It almost looks like a baby horseshoe crab.

wKNTOl.jpg

They were inhaling lighter colored swimbaits and white hogies.

So, who is this guest? Well we were sitting there and all of a sudden four dolphin came up right underneath the boat! They were somewhat reluctant to eat, but this gal (the smallest of the four) decided to eat my pinfish and put up an awesome fight. She jumped in excess of 10 times and I finally got her landed. It's my first dolphin!

C0Bocl.jpg

ZYiS6l.jpg

KIQ3tl.jpg

It was a beautiful day out on the water and it was great getting the sister her first grouper.

9mWnJl.jpg

-Jeremiah

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    I believe that crustation is some sort of politician. A parasite.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 525 Officer
    Haha great man how far out were you? I've been hearing a lot of reports that say the dolphin are coming in really close to shore now
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • Rusty TrumpetRusty Trumpet Posts: 35 Deckhand
    about 30 miles off of bonita
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    Great report and pics.
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Nice pics and report .
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    gigantic sand flea...:rotflmao
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • mcfishymcfishy Posts: 62 Deckhand
    That is a Male Sand Flea, very rare especially in 70ft.
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Nice job. That is a weird looking crab. How do u like your dusky? I've got a 256 and have been real happy with it.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 408 Deckhand
    That does look like a big sand flea , I have seen Groups spit all kinds of crabs but never somthing like that , good catchin Capt.
    sagory wrote: »
    Nice job. That is a weird looking crab. How do u like your dusky? I've got a 256 and have been real happy with it.

Oh man I love it. It's a 256 as well with twin 150 e-tecs. What is yours powered with?
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    04 150 evinrudes. What kind of mileage do u get out of the e-tecs? I average about 2 miles per gallon.
    Thats about what I get, maybe closer to 2.5. They are impressive motors though. I had 11 people on the boat and one motor got it up on plane.