Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

3rd Camping Trip to 10K islands. Help needed!

I am heading down to camp on Panther Key for the weekend of August 8-10th with a couple friends of mine. We have camped twice before, once in early October on Jewel Key and once in mid December on Picnic Key, and have always done really well catching sharks but redfish, snook, tarpon, etc have all been hard to come by. We did catch a handful of redfish on Jewel key two years ago when we were there in October but otherwise it has been pretty slow in he way of finding some of the above mentioned species.

I am from Fort Myers area and fish up here regularly with spinning gear and on the fly. We will have a large assortment of various soft plastics to throw like Z-man pogyz, Z-man shrimp, Gulp shrimp, DOA terroreyez, etc, and other hard baits like mirrolure mirrodines, catch jr's, rapala skitterwalks and other similar patterns. Any tips on what to add to that is definitely appreciated!

We will also be planning on trying to net some pilchards if there are any, or getting our hands on mullet or pinfish to use as bait as well. We soak cut pinfish up here for redfish and have a lot of success doing that! Same down in the glades?

I would like to go out on a limb here and ask if any of you folks, who fish the area around Panther and know some areas for us to concentrate on, would like to help us seriously narrow down the search for islands that you know hold some fish. We don't fish down here often, once a year generally, so we will not overfish your spots!! I would just like to ask that anyone willing to share any spots personal message me so that you don't have to post any private info publicly. I know people are very protective of their areas they have found fish, so let me promise you that if you do decide to help me out that I will absolutely return the favor if you ever decide to come fish Pine Island Sound, Sanibel-Captiva, Estero Bay, or any of the surrounding Lee county areas. If that works for you then please help me out. I could use being thrown a bone on this one.

Also, if you want any more info of our exact plans on the trip to help me further then I will gladly give it. I just didn't want to lengthen this already long message any further. Thanks everyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
Glorious in all of Your ways
The majesty the wonder and grace
In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
In Your holy light
That every eye will see Jesus our God
Great and mighty to be praised

Replies

• KittykillerKittykiller Posts: 114 Deckhand
    First thing you need to know is that the bugs are going to eat you alive. Big difference between bugs in October - December and now. I would strongly recommend a comprehensive bug plan including thermocell, lots of bug spray, citronella candles, a bee suit, mosquito netting, ect. I have camped on Panther a handful of times but found that Whitehorse just two islands west of Panther is a much more convenient spot to camp. The cut between hog key and Panther has always produced for me on the incoming and any of the rocky points on the outside passes (like the large one that protrudes off the end of Panther) have usually produced on the outgoing. The pilchards have been a great go-to bait if you can find them in acceptable lengths. Finger mullet or cut bait will work well tossed into the mangroves around deeper channels. The 10K can be intimidating but i have found the best way to approach it is to focus on a smaller area near your camp and not worry about running all around looking for a great spot, they all look like great spots. You can also pick up a hot spot fishing chart which will give you a better idea of where to start your search. Good luck and have fun, and I am serious about the bugs you have been warned.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Thanks man I appreciate the advice! Early October bugs are very bad as well and we handled them no problem with multiple thermacells and Repel lemon and eucalyptus bug spray. That stuff really keeps the no-see-ums at bay. Thank you again for the help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    Oh by the way I meant to ask why you feel Whitehorse is more convenient for camping?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • KittykillerKittykiller Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Panther's beach seems to be washing away and at high tides its hard to find a dry spot that's not up in the bushes. White Horse has a considerable point on the North West part of the island that is always high and dry. It also has a consistent breeze which helps in the summer heat. It is a very popular camp site though and you will sometimes have to share with other campers. Most of the time people out there are very friendly and don't mind sharing the beach but I always ask before setting up shop. We catch big sharks right there off the point all night long.
    Awesome! Well then maybe we will park it on Whitehorse instead of Panther. The breeze will certainly be nice, and we are planning on putting some baits out off the beach for sharks. Plus I see some oyster bars east and northeast of Gullivan Key as well so im hoping those produce some sunrise redfish/snook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
    Anyone else have any advice for us? Thanks again to Kittykiller for helping out. Anyone with camping experience around those islands or fishing experience around there have any tips? Help is much appreciated!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • CaptHouseCaptHouse Posts: 41 Deckhand
    I'll second Whitehorse over Panther also. The North and West side (I think) is where there is a long beach area that extends out a bit away from the tree cover. This spot would be optimal to help with the bugs. Dear lord dude, seriously make sure you are prepped for the bugs, we got eaten alive about a month ago and it was terrible. Although I have heard of people using some satin mesh over their tents that save them during the nights.

Whitehorse is close to a lot of good fishing too. Have fun!

Oh and remember that area during low tide is really skinny, keep that boat off a ways...
    Always an adventure with Captain House! 10,000 islands fishing guide - Hail me on channel 16 "Captain House C'mon!" www.Capt-House.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] youtube-icon-small.gif Check Out My YouTube Channel
    Thanks a bunch for the tips man. We will throw everything weve got at the bugs and see if it does the trick. Its all worked well in the past so hopefully nothing changes. Also, how are those oyster bars off Gullivan? Looking to give those a try with the early morning incoming tide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • CaptHouseCaptHouse Posts: 41 Deckhand
    There is a nice flat just on the outside of Gullivan where the fish have been hanging out. Most of the snook and reds are trying to stay cool so just keep that in mind. Fish deeper, early or late and on the outside.
    Always an adventure with Captain House! 10,000 islands fishing guide - Hail me on channel 16 "Captain House C'mon!" www.Capt-House.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] youtube-icon-small.gif Check Out My YouTube Channel
    Hi guys I posted an update fishing report from this trip in the fishing reports section if youd like to see how it turned out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light