scalloping out of bayport/chassa tomorrow. how are they right now?

Heading out tomorrow, how are the scallops. We normally go to homosassa but I hear they are super thin there. What's the best ramp? Is there an area of thick scallops at the moment?

Thanks!
2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
gCFWQPq.jpg?1

Replies

• SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Bayport or Hernando beach. $5 fee. Haven't been since opening day. It was great then but since there have been HORDES of people scalloping. Some are still doing well from what I heard
  • KahunaKahuna Posts: 171 Officer
    I went this weekend out of Homosassa, we went south though off of Chaz. I limited out in about 45 minutes. It was CRAZY!! More scallops than I've ever seen in my life. The only thing is they were DEEP. There were 6 of us, and only myself and 1 other person could stand the pressure at this depth. So the others had enough real quick. But I was picking up 4 or 5 at a time. As a matter of fact, we were dragging anchor "not intentionally" but the scallops would run away as the anchor drug through the grass, you could hover above it and watch them swim, then just pick them up when they landed.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,945 Captain
    Yeah I think with so much pressure on them you're going to start having to find deeper lesser traveled water if you want to find them in numbers. I went out of Bayport the weekend before last and we did alright but they weren't in any major concentrations.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,570 Captain
    good choice lots down there
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Kahuna wrote: »
    I went this weekend out of Homosassa, we went south though off of Chaz. I limited out in about 45 minutes. It was CRAZY!! More scallops than I've ever seen in my life. The only thing is they were DEEP. There were 6 of us, and only myself and 1 other person could stand the pressure at this depth. So the others had enough real quick. But I was picking up 4 or 5 at a time. As a matter of fact, we were dragging anchor "not intentionally" but the scallops would run away as the anchor drug through the grass, you could hover above it and watch them swim, then just pick them up when they landed.

How DEEP are you talking ? I learned the hard way about pressure. I had a lobster in about 12 feet of water that decided to make it personal . I thought 12 feet is not deep . I went after him 4 or 5 times and got him. Came back to the boat with a mask full of blood. Now I start clearing the pressure no matter how deep I go . Just pinch your nose and try to exhale thru you nose the entire way down. After doing this a few times there shouldn't be a problem going after them.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 328 Deckhand
    BD27 wrote: »
    How DEEP are you talking ? I learned the hard way about pressure. I had a lobster in about 12 feet of water that decided to make it personal . I thought 12 feet is not deep . I went after him 4 or 5 times and got him. Came back to the boat with a mask full of blood. Now I start clearing the pressure no matter how deep I go . Just pinch your nose and try to exhale thru you nose the entire way down. After doing this a few times there shouldn't be a problem going after them.

That happened to one of my scalloping buddied from the Panhandle. He never dove more than about 4 feet for scallops and didn't know about equalizing pressure until he went lobstering with us one year. He had a bloody mask, also.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Plenty in eight to ten feet of water out front of the river
    find the right bottom and its game on :)
    Good Luck in Your Quest :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg