Delray King 7/26/2014

YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
Met up with few guys from this forum (SkunkLife, Pottymouth, and a few other usernames I can't recall) around 6 yesterday, waters were super fishy paddling out to 100'. Kings start skying around 7:30a and right in around 115' I hook up with my first king ever. Nothing beats watching your reel scream for what felt like 10 seconds. Got some good coaching from my bud to let off the drag. 2 more runs and this king was mine.

43" & 25 lbs, with no way to keep it cold. My buddy SkunkLife offers up his fish bag and keeps it solid cold for me until we get back around 2:30pm. Freaking awesome bag. Forget the triangle deck bag\thing, this is the way to go on a Kayak.

Great group of guys & awesome catches... what more could you ask for. Thanks for the fantastic day!

Replies

• YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    By 5:30pm he was on my dinner plate.. pan fried a few different ways, delicious with just some italian dressing.
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Was awesome watching that go down. Since I fish with the same crusty dudes every week it doesn't happen often I get to watch a dude get his mind blown by a fish. Well done. And fill yr new bag up wit feeeesh.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Nice fish. Enjoy.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    SkunkLife wrote: »
    And fill yr new bag up wit feeeesh.

I bought a new triangle bag before yours came out, but what's the difference between this type and a deck bag? Both triangle bags I've owned have leaked when turned a certain way - the lack of seal must also let out the cold. Do these seal? How tough is the inside when it comes to gill plates, spines, and teeth? I had to patch my old bag with duct tape after every use.
    Mapache. They're all heavy vinyl so you can beat the hell out of em. And the insides are heavy insulation. Those deck bags IMHO have too much space on the inside and makes the ice work too hard to keep stuff cold. I made a video and wrote a post but PalmBeachPete deleted it as Spam. So I don't know what I'm allowed to say or not to say.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    The only thing keeping me from going peddle yak is having the trident with storage inside the hull. Made a custom fish bag that fits in there and it's totally out of the way and easy to access. Those deck mount bags are nice, I used to have one, but they take a beating being in the sun all day and can get snagged pretty easy. Plus I have the sail that has to fit up there now.

(obligatory comment here) You actually ate that king fried with just italian dressing? Every time I catch one and try to prepare it, outside of smoking it, I just can't get rid of the taste and it's always pretty gammy. I ended up just giving them all to my girl friends mom who prepares it some Lebanese way and they love it.
    (obligatory comment here) You actually ate that king fried with just italian dressing? Every time I catch one and try to prepare it, outside of smoking it, I just can't get rid of the taste and it's always pretty gammy. I ended up just giving them all to my girl friends mom who prepares it some Lebanese way and they love it.

CrstyCptSWitherspoon - Yes, I watched a few videos on how to prep it. #1 you have to get rid of the red meat. #2 I think you have to eat it the same day for it not to taste gammy. I don't like fishy tasting fish but I was willing to give this a try considering it was my first. It was pretty good marinating for about 20 min in italian dressing and pan fried (we tried other marinades but this was the best IMO). I only ate the middle to back half of the fish with a few of my buddies. No one said it tasted gammy at all in fact it was very mild and took the seasoning very well.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    YakNPomp: Nice catch! I also eat kingfish, but I don't think you need to limit cooking/eating it to just the day of harvest. You are right to cut out the darker meat as well. I grew up eating mackerel and kingfish in Jamaica and we love it! Interestingly, the whole "fishy/oily" reputation is absent down there. Perhaps it is because we pair it with other strong flavors; Steamed with Okra/pepper/onions, Fried and topped with pickled vegetables, and there is also a dish where the fish is cooked in coconut milk and other vegetables (my next culinary experiment!)

Skunklife, PM the details of your thread that got deleted, I'll see what I can do.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Congrats again, nice work.... gave my neighbor a king last week, she fried it up right away and brought me a plate to my surprise it was good..
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Thank guys! I am hooked for sure now.
    Skunklife, PM the details of your thread that got deleted, I'll see what I can do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jcan, I don't know what the deal was. Everybody on here read my threads way back when I made my first bag. A lot of dudes have purchased em happily and are using em, and a lot more have expressed interest in them. Not like I'm some outside influence selling yada yada, this bag grew organically out of this forum. Would have never made so many of them past years if it wasn't for this forum. There's been a bunch of posts about them before, finally had a finished product and put it up, and it was immediately shot down.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Well, this thread is still here, and you should post up the video on it: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?163176-Fish-Bag
    I also agree that there is nothing wrong with your posting as the product is a great example of local business that answered the needs of FS members.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Returning to the preparation thread- kingfish makes good ceviche too. I like 2 parts lemon juice with 1 part apple cider vinegar, then add your salt, pepper, garlic, hot peppers or cayenne, cilantro and either some corn or boiled sweet potato to balance the acid.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 849 Officer
    FYI, Bummer!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    FYI, Bummer!

ddaammnnn ... why they hating on us so much?!
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    That is a nice a delicious fish.
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    FYI, Bummer!

Hah, did they close off the other entrance 50 feet down?
  • WiredToExploreWiredToExplore Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Great pictures. Looks like a fun day on the water.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Now the residents are gonna have this spot shut down, none of us are going to be able to use it. Sad...
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Now the residents are gonna have this spot shut down, none of us are going to be able to use it. Sad...

Sucks. My local spot