Wade Fishing the Indian River in Titusville, FL Aug 3rd

gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
Made it out at first light last Sunday. Targeted creek mouths figuring the current from the recent rainfall would be attracting fish. Smaller schools of mullet were about and everywhere you looked there were glass minnows - but unfortunately alligators too - one smack dab in the middle of the creek mouth. Well, I finally got out on a point between two gators and found to my surprise what I thought was a mullet school rather was about 10 reds tailing in the grass. I dropped a chartreuse bomber top water on the other side of the school and no sooner had it hit the water when a fish just exploded on it jumping three foot out of the water and I'm thinking WOW!! until it jumps........and I realize it is about a 3 ft long lady fish...........that spits that top water right back at me. Of course, the redfish didn't appreciate the commotion either and were last seen swimming off into deeper water. And that was the story of the day, ladyfish, everywhere............every cast.........didn't matter what you threw........I caught them on everything from a top water, a gold spoon, zoom fluke, paddle tail, to a gulp imitation shrimp. I even threw a giant mullet colored Zara Spook and hooked up on two fish at once. Lots of fun.......but not exactly what I was hoping for........plus all the commotion kept bringing the gators closer so I couldn't be as stealthy as I wanted.........kept having to pick up and move 100 yards.
There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!

Replies

• FrozenNorthernerFrozenNortherner Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I go up to Titusville IRL a lot myself. Just started fishing down here and I do pretty good with the spotted seatrout in that area. I ran into the same problem about a month ago, alligators following me while wade fishing : )
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I go up to Titusville IRL a lot myself. Just started fishing down here and I do pretty good with the spotted seatrout in that area. I ran into the same problem about a month ago, alligators following me while wade fishing : )

They apparently love the sound of the top water plugs too - then when you add fish splashing around - I think you become irresistible. If you wade fish around the IRL we probably have run across each other.........that pic actually looks like the kayak launch just off the Welcome Center as you enter MIWR from the Max Brewer.......but almost all the eastern shoreline south of Max Brewer looks like that!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!