Home General Fishing

Baitcaster set up for snook? Suggestions?

LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
Hey guys I'm looking at getting a casting reel for inshore fishing. I've been using a baitcaster too much for bass and now I want to try it in the salt.
Any suggestions?
I'm really looking for something with a ton of drag where I can just winch big snook out from under docks. I've seen some of the Avet's but I dont really have any experience with any type of saltwater casting reels. Thanks in advance!
«1

Replies

  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Curado-E-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reels/product/102799/
    Not a ton of drag, but definitely up for a challenge.
    Also if you're interested, I have a -barely used- lefty model (CU301E) I bought earlier this year I would be willing to part with in 2 weeks.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,418 Captain
    Lil... I actually have four or five baitcasters that I use in the backcountry for snook (and tarpon as big as they get....). Most of my anglers have never that kind of gear so they don't get used as much as they should -but they're a hoot when targetting snook. I have them set up for ultra light (6-10lb line) all the way up to very heavy, blank rated for 15 to 30lb line and a Calcutta 400 with 15lb line for bait fishing... I even have one that's just an ordinary one handed bass rig that's super handy for tossing plugs or spoons all day long in close quarters...

    My advice is to start out with the gear you already have then add rigs as you feel the need. These days you rarely every encounter a plug reel that won't handle the salt since they all use the same components...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,284 Moderator
    Daiwa Lexa 400 has 25 # of drag and the 300 has 22. Good to go in salt

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  • LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Lil... I actually have four or five baitcasters that I use in the backcountry for snook (and tarpon as big as they get....). Most of my anglers have never that kind of gear so they don't get used as much as they should -but they're a hoot when targetting snook. I have them set up for ultra light (6-10lb line) all the way up to very heavy, blank rated for 15 to 30lb line and a Calcutta 400 with 15lb line for bait fishing... I even have one that's just an ordinary one handed bass rig that's super handy for tossing plugs or spoons all day long in close quarters...

    My advice is to start out with the gear you already have then add rigs as you feel the need. These days you rarely every encounter a plug reel that won't handle the salt since they all use the same components...

    I was afraid of corrosion issues with the freshwater reels. I have used decent freshwater reels for salt use in the past and they were toast in a few days. Right now I'm using a cheap quantum combo that I know would fall apart. I've thought about getting a calcutta, thats probably the route I'll end up going. I just love being able to use a beefy rod and still toss plugs with it.

    Anyone have experience with the Abu Garcia Orra?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Best saltwater baitcaster ever....probably not made anymore...Penn International 955 A reel MADE to fish in salt.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,418 Captain
    Check out today's report for a few snook pics... Like I said use what you have, if it breaks send it back to Quantum and have them fix while you pick up that fancy new reel....
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?164123-A-week-in-the-Glades-1-August
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ben_ProAnglerBen_ProAngler Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    jcanracer wrote: »
    http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Curado-E-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reels/product/102799/
    Not a ton of drag, but definitely up for a challenge.
    Also if you're interested, I have a -barely used- lefty model (CU301E) I bought earlier this year I would be willing to part with in 2 weeks.
    +1 on the curado. Even look into getting one used if you don't wanna spend too much.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,239 Officer
    I just got the Curado I and love it so far. It is all I use for inshore now.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    I use a St. Croix Avid Med and a Medium Hvy casting rods, both have a Shimano Curado 200E7. I had the handles on each rod cut 3" to make it more of a one handed rod. Largest Snook I have landed on one of these is 36".
    I do religiously, make sure that my rods and reels get hosed down after every trip, let then dry and loosen the drags. Every 2nd or 3rd trip the reels get sprayed with Reel Magic. They have been flawless for me. Even thinking of selling the Med power combo as I tend to use only one of theses rods every trip.
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 198 Deckhand
    LilJim wrote: »
    I was afraid of corrosion issues with the freshwater reels. I have used decent freshwater reels for salt use in the past and they were toast in a few days. Right now I'm using a cheap quantum combo that I know would fall apart. I've thought about getting a calcutta, thats probably the route I'll end up going. I just love being able to use a beefy rod and still toss plugs with it.

    Anyone have experience with the Abu Garcia Orra?

    hello jim I`am from the northeast and do a lot of bait casting . Three years ago I got the abu garcia revo inshore this is one really nice reel . It`s small for a saltwater caster ,,but thats the best part about it. It fits really nice in my hand. Yet it`s very strong over 20 lbs pull. I do a lot of striper fishing with it, and have no problem with large stripers. The drag works well too. It has been holding up to the saltwater really good. I have not once had a backlash, it cast well like any other quality reel. I don`t baby my reels and this one is as good as the day I brought it.. Check it out it`s the size a like so much with out the lost of power.
  • scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 275 Deckhand
    My go to set-ups for snook and juvie tarpon are Quantum Cabo CBC20 on a 6'6" Fenwick Techna A/V 12-25 or Penn Sargus on 6'6" St.Croix Legend Inshore 10-20 and 7' St Croix Avid MH with Pflueger Trion 66.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    13 fishing just made a light bait caster for Snook … Check out this review.

    http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/2014/02/06/general/13-fishing-concept-c-field-test/
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    So, Who actually makes that reel...

    Hechto in China?...or ?....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Best saltwater baitcaster ever....probably not made anymore...Penn International 955 A reel MADE to fish in salt.

    I have an old Penn 955, a Calcutta 250 and an old green Curado 200 that I use from time to time in saltwater. I think all of which are extinct.
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Bonefish with U . Have 6500 abu garcia on 6'6 mh Crowder 50lb braid and have been kicking butt for years. Need a new reel get another one to replace. Simple and works for me. Cast great and has retrieve ratio, and backbone.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Bite 1 wrote: »
    Bonefish with U . Have 6500 abu garcia on 6'6 mh Crowder 50lb braid and have been kicking butt for years. Need a new reel get another one to replace. Simple and works for me. Cast great and has retrieve ratio, and backbone.

    I've used Abu's quite a bit..5500's ...Black Max's..all the way up to 7000's...They work good but the drags were not the smoothest unless you worked on them.
    They also take a lot more care than the Penn does.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    So, Who actually makes that reel...

    Hechto in China?...or ?....

    Made in Korea
  • p914p914 Posts: 506 Officer
    I've been using the saltwater curado 300ej for 3 years for reds, snook, trout, snapper and......Kings.
    One of the smoothest Shimanos ever.
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    You can get away using "freshwater" tackle in salt with a few minor steps for a long time:

    1. Lube the reel's exposed moving parts with Corrosion X or Reel X (liquid version). That includes the handle, stem, star drag... followed by a wipe down with a Handi-Wipe sprayed with Corrosion X. DO NOT USE WD-40.

    2. After a day in the salt, tighten the star drag down fairly tight and rinse the reel in warm, fresh water; and towel dry, leave it out overnight and do not put in an airtight bag.

    That's it. After a few sessions in the salt, repeat step #1.


    PB
  • Brandon561Brandon561 Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Honestly i would go with a quality spinning reel instead of any nice baitcasters. They dont have the power for big snook IMO and all the parts make it very hard for heavy saltwater use. I have used many baitcasters(made for saltwater) for inshore and flats fishing and they either blow up from to much strain or they corrode and freeze up! I wash them off after every use and still.
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 A.K.A Reel Nauti
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Brandon561 wrote: »
    Honestly i would go with a quality spinning reel instead of any nice baitcasters. They dont have the power for big snook IMO and all the parts make it very hard for heavy saltwater use. I have used many baitcasters(made for saltwater) for inshore and flats fishing and they either blow up from to much strain or they corrode and freeze up! I wash them off after every use and still.


    There are a lot of guys (myself included) that would disagree with you. They cast longer, have smoother drags (no line roller!), and there are plenty of them that have enough power to get the job done. I like Shimano Citica and Curado. Put some heavy line on one and find a stout rod. If you need more drag thumb the spool.
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    You could also look at a small conventional reel that might hold up to the salt better than a baitcaster. Depending on how much you want to spend look at the penn torque 12 or 15 as the higher end. the reel has 25 pounds of drag which should be plenty. Another option is the penn fathom 12 or 15 which also have 25 pounds of drag. But the penn squall 12 or 15 has 15 pounds of drag and has the adjustable casting brakes to help eliminate backlash.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,460 AG
    Brandon561 wrote: »
    Honestly i would go with a quality spinning reel instead of any nice baitcasters. They dont have the power for big snook IMO and all the parts make it very hard for heavy saltwater use. I have used many baitcasters(made for saltwater) for inshore and flats fishing and they either blow up from to much strain or they corrode and freeze up! I wash them off after every use and still.

    That's exactly wrong.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    That's exactly wrong.

    Glad you said it....I'm working on not being an internet peckerhead....but you are 100% correct...he is 100% incorrect. :)
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Brandon561Brandon561 Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Jim311 wrote: »
    There are a lot of guys (myself included) that would disagree with you. They cast longer, have smoother drags (no line roller!), and there are plenty of them that have enough power to get the job done. I like Shimano Citica and Curado. Put some heavy line on one and find a stout rod. If you need more drag thumb the spool.

    Im not saying my opinion is right but I have blown up a Caenan, Curado, and ambassador snook fishing structure and my friends revo and Curado completly froze, in under a year of use. I also dont agree that they have smoother drags or cast farther. My shimano Saros feels way smoother and more powerful than the Curado by far! I also feel that spinning reels are much easier to service by yourself compared to a baitcaster.
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 A.K.A Reel Nauti
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    Brandon561 wrote: »
    Im not saying my opinion is right but I have blown up a Caenan, Curado, and ambassador snook fishing structure and my friends revo and Curado completly froze, in under a year of use. I also dont agree that they have smoother drags or cast farther. My shimano Saros feels way smoother and more powerful than the Curado by far! I also feel that spinning reels are much easier to service by yourself compared to a baitcaster.

    User error
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,460 AG
    I've always felt spinning reels, even the best ones, are
    an ungainly compromise.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    I'm always switching up from spins to baitcasters for the diversity of using different types of lures / techniques. It also gives my wrist a break when switching up. I personally never use a baitcaster with braid and most always use braid on my spinners. And THAT'S the way it's done! :grin
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    I've always felt spinning reels, even the best ones, are
    an ungainly compromise.

    Spinning is a "finesse" style... They can throw the lightest of baits.

    Bait casting is power fishing.... and a skilled angler( with an "educated thumb" :) ) can really put the beat down on a fish...fast!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now