Home Egret Boats

Egret powder coated rod holders

2»

Replies

  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I had a large guy that weighed 300# plus cast from it for a week that owned a Roto-molded Yeti and he could not believe how much more stable it was. Fiberglass is less prone to warping than plastic is.
    My 60qt glass Yeti rarely moves when making the long runs south from Chokoloskee. The finish appears to be nice quality gelcoat. I Rejex it once a year and it stays looking nice. It does make for a good, stable casting platform with cushion removed.

    For others with one- I turn mine with hinges forward and never bother fastening the latches and found there is an art to opening it to break the vacuum seal. Is this how you carry yours?
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

    Maybe it's me...You have to spend $30.00 for a plug and you already have one. Second you have to bend over to push the button, just unscrew the plug when the pressure neutralizes, tighten the plug. If you don't want to bend over all the time just drill a tiny hole near the top of the cooler.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Maybe it's me...You have to spend $30.00 for a plug and you already have one. Second you have to bend over to push the button, just unscrew the plug when the pressure neutralizes, tighten the plug. If you don't want to bend over all the time just drill a tiny hole near the top of the cooler.

    You have to bend over to open the cooler anyway. Spending 30 bucks on a plug is cheap in the scope of a boat.
    On another note. I could make that air relief valve in 15 minutes at my house with my existing plug. All you need is a SS bolt, nut, spring, o-ring, and a drill.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    On another note. I could make that air relief valve in 15 minutes at my house with my existing plug. All you need is a SS bolt, nut, spring, o-ring, and a drill.

    That's good MacGyver **** right there! :grin

    Macgyver198_zps0047282c.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Your old FlatsBoy .
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    That's good MacGyver **** right there! :grin

    Macgyver198_zps0047282c.jpg

    You could also use the swiss army knife in the MacGyver kit to cut the gasket on the plastic cooler.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    just unscrew the plug when the pressure neutralizes, tighten the plug. /QUOTE]

    So far so good
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    seavee05 wrote: »
    Ok, it's time to update the plastic rod holders on my 1999 c/k. I ordered a pair of the anodized ones I've been seeing on the moccasins, but when they arrived they were brushed not polished and didn't match the poling tower.

    So I sent them back and now I'm thinking about the white powder coated ones that Frank puts on the new boats.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on these. I also saw very nice individual anodized ones made by Bluepoint marine fabricators. I like them too.

    Oh, and hey, Congratulations to the new Egret family members!
    The more you use these boats and put them through some challenging situations, The more you will love them!



    Thanks and best regards to All.

    I don't like the powder coated holders much because they tear up the cork on fly rods and are small in diameter so they don't allow a rod with a large butt (say a 12wt or offshore rod / gaff). I didn't want them during the build for those reasons but was told they were the only rod holders that would fit the console. I'm going back to plastic rod holders: they grip a fly rod without damage and can handle larger diameter sticks. The powder coated holders are mounted via a single horizontal bar so they are less secure than the plastic holders with two horizontal bars. You will be left with holes to patch if you change styles. I just purchased some black starboard and some black plastic rod holders from Boat Outfitters so I can make my own a la rbtbryan. I'm also going to up it to 4 closely spaced rod holders as pliers etc always seem to end up in a rod holder spot so why make space for a pliers holder. I think it was $60 for all 8 holders and a piece of black starboard.

    If you want to buy some used white ones from me send me a PM. They'll be priced to move.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    I don't like the powder coated holders much because they tear up the cork on fly rods and are small in diameter so they don't allow a rod with a large butt (say a 12wt or offshore rod / gaff). I didn't want them during the build for those reasons but was told they were the only rod holders that would fit the console. I'm going back to plastic rod holders: they grip a fly rod without damage and can handle larger diameter sticks. The powder coated holders are mounted via a single horizontal bar so they are less secure than the plastic holders with two horizontal bars. You will be left with holes to patch if you change styles. I just purchased some black starboard and some black plastic rod holders from Boat Outfitters so I can make my own a la rbtbryan. I'm also going to up it to 4 closely spaced rod holders as pliers etc always seem to end up in a rod holder spot so why make space for a pliers holder. I think it was $60 for all 8 holders and a piece of black starboard.

    If you want to buy some used white ones from me send me a PM. They'll be priced to move.

    Funny you seem like more of a wood rod holders guy to me.
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
  • seavee05seavee05 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    mbowers wrote: »
    I don't like the powder coated holders much because they tear up the cork on fly rods and are small in diameter so they don't allow a rod with a large butt (say a 12wt or offshore rod / gaff). I didn't want them during the build for those reasons but was told they were the only rod holders that would fit the console. I'm going back to plastic rod holders: they grip a fly rod without damage and can handle larger diameter sticks. The powder coated holders are mounted via a single horizontal bar so they are less secure than the plastic holders with two horizontal bars. You will be left with holes to patch if you change styles. I just purchased some black starboard and some black plastic rod holders from Boat Outfitters so I can make my own a la rbtbryan. I'm also going to up it to 4 closely spaced rod holders as pliers etc always seem to end up in a rod holder spot so why make space for a pliers holder. I think it was $60 for all 8 holders and a piece of black starboard.

    If you want to buy some used white ones from me send me a PM. They'll be priced to move.

    pm sent
    5l8lqw.jpg
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Funny you seem like more of a wood rod holders guy to me.

    I've never seen wood upright rod holders. Please post a pic.

    Here's a pic of the rod holders with a 4000 size spinning reel: the reel is too big for the holder.

    20140731_170406.jpg
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    I've never seen wood upright rod holders. Please post a pic.

    Here's a pic of the rod holders with a 4000 size spinning reel: the reel is too big for the holder.

    20140731_170406.jpg

    DUDE! That reel does fit in the rod holder; the rod holder is just trying to push that mess away! I just gained a much better handle on **possibly** what may be causal factors with some of your boat issues. That roller looks like 3 miles of bad road...but then again, I could be wrong.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Wow I'm speechless!
    But it all makes sense now!
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Martin, afix a 2X4 to your boat and mount this to it.

    Look, it fits even the largest reels! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407025814.483676.jpg
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    That has got to be the oldest Shimano reel I've ever seen. I bet that thing has caught some fish. Looks like you beat the shiot out of everyone of them with it too!!!!:rotflmao. Is that mold on your console or defective gel coat??:huh:stinkfish
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

    2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    I've never seen wood upright rod holders. Please post a pic.

    Here's a pic of the rod holders with a 4000 size spinning reel: the reel is too big for the holder.

    I couldn't get my 12 wt fly rod in mine.I thought you fly fished mainly. Is the rod hitting the floor in the picture? I put the I-Fly holders on my new rig. They are plastic and you can get them rigged to replace them.

    http://stores.iflyrodholders.com/ifly-triple-mount-rod-holder/
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    afix a 2X4 to your boat and mount this to it.

    Look, it fits even the largest reels! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407025814.483676.jpg

    Those holders look like a lot of maintenance and reduced cockpit room plus they won't hold fly rods or keep rods from rotating. I was hoping you had something in a nice bamboo that would add a tiki hut style to the boat. :) I'm all about quality materials used in well designed hardware that needs minimal maintenance. I prefer to spend my time fishing and not micro detailing the boat or equipment to keep it together. That's why starboard and plastic rod holders are perfect for me. The powder coat gets pretty beat up by pliers, dehookers and knives too. The starboard looks the same. I suggest some Fisher-Price pliers, dehookers and knives with the powder coat so there's no metal to ding them up!

    opplanet-klecker-knives-trigger-plastic-knife-kit-pink-kkt53p-main.jpg

    $_35.JPG

    I called out hair and makeup so you guys could focus on the important aspect of the picture and not the irrelevant details: It's like a beauty show competition around here with no talent component. There's no mold on console just a few bugs from last trip on the highway. There is mold in the caulking but that can be fixed with better caulking.

    20140803_184713_zps9ybxuxmv.jpg


    Rod does not touch the floor, the reel foot is just too big to fit in the alignment slot. That combo is 8 years old, cost $60 total and is the backup sabiki /beach / kayak rod. I fish spinning gear maybe 1% of the time so I'm not going to spend big money on it. Look closely at the roller and you can see it's still shiny, it's just the cheap cover pieces that are corroded.

    Here's the same combo in a plastic rodholder. Try to focus on the rod and rod holder and how they fit together as I really don't feel like detailing my fish cooler every trip.

    20140803_184938_zpsygqc5ar6.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Martin, you can remove them , cut the slots bigger, then line-X them or replace with plastic ones.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    ...is hosing it off a little too much to ask as well?

    And the reel clearly does not fit. BUT it would fit if you would only sell that pig and buy an Action Craft.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Those holders look like a lot of maintenance and reduced cockpit room plus they won't hold fly rods or keep rods from rotating. I was hoping you had something in a nice bamboo that would add a tiki hut style to the boat. :) I'm all about quality materials used in well designed hardware that needs minimal maintenance. I prefer to spend my time fishing and not micro detailing the boat or equipment to keep it together. That's why starboard and plastic rod holders are perfect for me. The powder coat gets pretty beat up by pliers, dehookers and knives too. The starboard looks the same. I suggest some Fisher-Price pliers, dehookers and knives with the powder coat so there's no metal to ding them up!

    opplanet-klecker-knives-trigger-plastic-knife-kit-pink-kkt53p-main.jpg

    $_35.JPG

    I called out hair and makeup so you guys could focus on the important aspect of the picture and not the irrelevant details: It's like a beauty show competition around here with no talent component. There's no mold on console just a few bugs from last trip on the highway. There is mold in the caulking but that can be fixed with better caulking.

    20140803_184713_zps9ybxuxmv.jpg


    Rod does not touch the floor, the reel foot is just too big to fit in the alignment slot. That combo is 8 years old, cost $60 total and is the backup sabiki /beach / kayak rod. I fish spinning gear maybe 1% of the time so I'm not going to spend big money on it. Look closely at the roller and you can see it's still shiny, it's just the cheap cover pieces that are corroded.

    Here's the same combo in a plastic rodholder. Try to focus on the rod and rod holder and how they fit together as I really don't feel like detailing my fish cooler every trip.

    20140803_184938_zpsygqc5ar6.jpg

    I think a Carolina Skiff is right up your alley! Hose and go but not necessary!
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Those holders look like a lot of maintenance and reduced cockpit room plus they won't hold fly rods or keep rods from rotating. I was hoping you had something in a nice bamboo that would add a tiki hut style to the boat. :) I'm all about quality materials used in well designed hardware that needs minimal maintenance. I prefer to spend my time fishing and not micro detailing the boat or equipment to keep it together. That's why starboard and plastic rod holders are perfect for me. The powder coat gets pretty beat up by pliers, dehookers and knives too. The starboard looks the same. I suggest some Fisher-Price pliers, dehookers and knives with the powder coat so there's no metal to ding them up!

    opplanet-klecker-knives-trigger-plastic-knife-kit-pink-kkt53p-main.jpg

    $_35.JPG

    I called out hair and makeup so you guys could focus on the important aspect of the picture and not the irrelevant details: It's like a beauty show competition around here with no talent component. There's no mold on console just a few bugs from last trip on the highway. There is mold in the caulking but that can be fixed with better caulking.

    20140803_184713_zps9ybxuxmv.jpg


    Rod does not touch the floor, the reel foot is just too big to fit in the alignment slot. That combo is 8 years old, cost $60 total and is the backup sabiki /beach / kayak rod. I fish spinning gear maybe 1% of the time so I'm not going to spend big money on it. Look closely at the roller and you can see it's still shiny, it's just the cheap cover pieces that are corroded.

    Here's the same combo in a plastic rodholder. Try to focus on the rod and rod holder and how they fit together as I really don't feel like detailing my fish cooler every trip.

    20140803_184938_zpsygqc5ar6.jpg


    **** you Sensitive!!!!:rotflmao
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

    2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Bowers try this comes with plastic rod holders from the factory. Not a "beauty pagent" boat; much more consistent with your values. It has been washed and cared for but you can change all that.

    http://m.ebay.com/itm/141366497489?nav=SEARCH
Sign In or Register to comment.