Fin Nor Lethal 100 for jigging?

ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
Anyone ever use this reel for jigging? Alan Hawk did an extensive review for this reel and took it apart and rated it very highly. I was going to wait to get a Battle II 6000 but this reel seems to best it in every spec including price. Anyone have any experience with this reel?

Replies

• Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Never used it but alan hawk rated it has one of the best offshore reels he ever took apart. Not bad for the price, Especially comparing it to what he is used to looking at!!! I just picked up a saragosa sw 10000 today. I haven't took it out yet but will this weekend. Ill let you know how it works out.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Produkt wrote: »
    Anyone ever use this reel for jigging? Alan Hawk did an extensive review for this reel and took it apart and rated it very highly. I was going to wait to get a Battle II 6000 but this reel seems to best it in every spec including price. Anyone have any experience with this reel?

Better luck finding a unicorn. I tried one out, really liked it, and then ordered one. That was May. Called Crook and Crook today and expected delivery isn't until early August, pushed back from June.

It's a little heavier than the 6000, by 8 ounces. If you compare it to the 8000 it's weight is right at the same 30 ounces.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I have a couple of new Fin-Nor Lethal LT-100s & several Saragosa 10kFs...
    I haven't fished my new LT-100s yet, but I'm a big fan of the 10k 'gosa...
    I can tell you that the LT-100 is about the size of a 'gosa 18K/20K, so it's definitely a BIG reel & pretty heavy for all day Jigging for anything other than really BIG Fish...
    I'm thinking it's too big for ~90% of what I target...
    If someone wants 1 of mine BNiB & Full of 80lb PP = $210-Shipped/PP-Gift
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    The LT-100 is over $150 cheaper than the Saragosa 10K though and stronger
    Better luck finding a unicorn. I tried one out, really liked it, and then ordered one. That was May. Called Crook and Crook today and expected delivery isn't until early August, pushed back from June.

It's a little heavier than the 6000, by 8 ounces. If you compare it to the 8000 it's weight is right at the same 30 ounces.

You're right, I'm having quite a hard time finding this reel. Why are none available anywhere? Is it no longer in production?
    Alan Hawk's 'Rave Review' lead to a much larger demand than Fin-Nor was expecting & I also read there were some production issues that dramatically decreased initial availability...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    but I'm a big fan of the 10k 'gosa...

Not to jack the tread but how is the gosa for all day jigging? I was torn between the 8 or 10k. I haven't got it out on the water yet
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    You're right, I'm having quite a hard time finding this reel. Why are none available anywhere? Is it no longer in production?
    In production yes. The explanation I was given at 3 different shops before finally going ahead and ordering was some manufacturing issues then a shipping issue. Apparently we can put a man on the moon, I can post this message on an island 68 miles from anything but we can't put reels in a box and ship them lol.
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer

I would buy one for surf fishing, but not jigging from the yak. I have jigged with a Fin-Nor Offshore 9500, and it wore me out! It was too fast, heavy, and strong. At a certain point, a slower retrieve can be easier to jig with since you're doing less work per crank. The awesome drag almost let a fish flip me when I tried using 10#. The reel hangs far below the rod, which means you have to awkwardly hold it up at your chest, and it's just plain heavy. IMO a 6000-7000 class Fin-Nor is a better choice - plus you can actually buy one.
    mapache wrote: »
    I would buy one for surf fishing, but not jigging from the yak. I have jigged with a Fin-Nor Offshore 9500, and it wore me out! It was too fast, heavy, and strong. At a retain point, a slower retrieve can be easier to jig with since you're doing less work per crank. The awesome drag almost let a fish flip me when I tried using 10#. The reel hangs far below the rod, which means you have to awkwardly hold it up at your chest, and it's just plain heavy. IMO a 6000-7000 class Fin-Nor is a better choice - plus you can actually buy one.

Thanks for the info. He says the 100 class reel is basically a completely different reel than the smaller sizes, so if I'm not gonna get the 100 I might just wait for the Battle II to come out.
    Sure thing. If I needed a budget spinner for yak jigging, I'd try a smaller Fin-Nor (Hawk likes them, just not as much) or just buy a used metal Penn Spinfisher SS 650-850/6500-8500 for 60-$100 and fill it with grease (this is what I use - old Penns are tough).
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Look on craigslist there's a guy who sells penn conquer 7000/8000 for 100 bucks new in box. Light fast good drag n penn's customer service. . Done. Them old spinfisher are good but not for jigging. It can be done, but y would u. You want a high speed reel. I know lots of guys who started with that reel and felt like it was all good till I handed them one of my jigging set ups.. by next trip they all swapped out their reels. My 2 cents.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Nick561 wrote: »
    Not to jack the tread but how is the gosa for all day jigging? I was torn between the 8 or 10k. I haven't got it out on the water yet

The old 'gosa 8kF & 10kF were almost identical, except the 10kF had aluminum (not graphite) rotor &/or side plate (can't recall) making it a stronger, tougher, better all around reel w/no significant added weight... I'm not sure about the difference between the new 'gosa 8K & 10K SWs... The 'gosa 10kF would be my 'Go To' Reel for 'All Day' Jigging (if I could hold up to 'All Day' Jigging). SRMO has the smaller Lethals for ~$75 & I'd definitely consider those if looking for something smaller/lighter... Still on Alan Hawk's 'Best <$100 Budget Reel' List...
    I've used a lot of reels, but keep coming back to my old Penns. The 7500ss is 4.7:1, compared to 4.8:1 for the Conquer, a 2% difference. The Conquer is a whole lot lighter, but Alan Hawk put it on the list of reels he does not recommend. Put some greased carbon fiber disks in an old Penn, and you've got a tank of a reel for under $100. I prefer these to my old Van Staal.

There are dozens of reels that will do the job, but IMO the most important things when it comes to kayak reels are cost and how you treat them.
    Been using conquer for years as well as a bunch of my buddies, still love em. As per Hawk giving it a bad review oh well glad I did not listen! Like I said my 2 cents but what do I know I only been doing this for **** near 10 years.
    Those old Penn SS reels were bullet-proof, but IMO the lack of AR bearing (& resulting back-slap/clank) makes them suck for Jigging
  • jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    I picked up the 7000 conquer from the same guy for $120 I should of bought a few more lol. That reel is super light and with 32lbs of drag should be plenty for the yak. Mine did not come with a box but for $120 that's a steal of a price. He also had conflicts and fathoms for really good prices !!!
    I like at least 35 pounds of drag when yak fishing. I guess that reel might work in a pinch.
    What a contradiction.. Lmmfao
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,113 Captain
    mapache wrote: »
    I like at least 35 pounds of drag when yak fishing. I guess that reel might work in a pinch.

That's funny. Do you train the fish on which way to pull you so you don't have to paddle too far back to shore?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    LOL
    conchydong wrote: »
    That's funny. Do you train the fish on which way to pull you so you don't have to paddle too far back to shore?

Don't have to. I just crank 'em in:

91385d1258361630-lindgren-pitman-130st-reel-swordfish-deep-drop-setup-002.jpg
    I know the Penn Conquer got a bad review from Alan Hawk but does anyone know why he rated it so poorly? He doesn't have a review on the site and it seems like it's a lighter, stronger Battle, which he rated well. I really want to get one from that Craigslist dude in Miami for cheap, I'd just like to know what he thinks is wrong with it.
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 355 Deckhand
    Put me in the column for loving the Conquer 7000 for offshore jigging. And I will say that it outlasted my 750 and 850 SSm's and 8000 Battles.
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"