Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

inshore strawberry

lunched the boat just after the rain, headed for the grouper hole, the wife got 2 mother inlaws, few mins go by and drag starts peelin set the hook and up comes this fine pice of dinner, wife set the hook on one couldnt get it to the boat but a good nite for the dinner table

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,387 Officer
    That's a red grouper, not a strawberry.
  • SammyTSammyT Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    yep, thats a red
  • Fish TailsFish Tails Posts: 164 Deckhand
    SammyT wrote: »
    yep, thats a red

And he has really small feet. :wink
  • saltwater shinersaltwater shiner Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    size 13 isnt small and 2hat the hell is a strwberry then
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    little spots look like the seeds on a strawberry. smaller specie but tasty
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,195 Officer
    Oh boy... here we go.

First off, that's a Red Grouper you caught, Shiner. As I don't see a tape measure in that photo, I won't speculate on it's legality. eyebrowraise.gif

Second, that's not an illustration of a Strawberry Grouper, Lead Slinger... that's a Red Hind.

The irony is that a true Strawberry Grouper Epinephelus drummondhayi (aka: Speckled Hind, Kitty Mitchell, Calico Grouper), has a color pattern that looks opposite that of an actual strawberry. They have many small LIGHT spots on a DARK background... which is the inverse of the several other similar species that have darker spots on a lighter background.

This is a Strawberry Grouper: These are NOT a common catch, are are usually found on deeper reefs... 200-300ft.
    Federal: prohibited. State: 1 per vessel, no minimum size, no closure.
    speckled-hind.jpg
    speckledhind.jpg

—————

Red Grouper: They're actually more brown than red.
    Federal & State: closed January 1 thru April 30. 3 per angler grouper aggregate, 20 inch minimum size.
    grouper_redFNL_R_NB_Species.png
    red-grouper-081305.jpg

—————

Red Hind: These are probably the most common on the reefs, and most often mis-named "strawberry groupers" because of their bright red color. And honestly, I think they look more like a strawberry than a true Strawberry Grouper.
    Federal & State: closed January 1 thru April 30. 3 per angler grouper aggregate, no minimum size.
    red-hind.jpg
    redhind.jpg

—————

Rock Hind:
    Federal & State: closed January 1 thru April 30. 3 per angler grouper aggregate, no minimum size.
    rock-hind.jpg
    rockhind.jpg

—————

Coney: The spots on the red phase are sometime ringed with blue. These can also be a bright yellow at a certain times of their lifecycle.
    coney.jpg
    coney-red.jpg
    coney-yellow.jpg

I know my post may seem condescending, but my aim is to inform. Especially since this information could mean the difference between a legal catch and a $500 fine.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Very nice comparison Bill, never knew kitty Mitchell's were strawberrys
  • saltwater shinersaltwater shiner Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    ok that was my wrong so I got a nice red grouper for dinner thank you for clearing that up
    Fair enough. Learn by experience. :grin
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    Make sure you know what it is before you kill it. I had spanish mackerel checked while fishing from the beach one morning. The FWC was checking for short kingfish. We were good but if we had been wrong I think a ticket was coming.

Fireman Bill
  • Flat yakkinFlat yakkin Posts: 195 Deckhand
    :AgreeYou might as well throw in pics of the gag and blacks too and the comparison with the reef pig, goliath!!
    I just wanted to compare the ones that are similar in color or name to red or strawberry.

Gag, Black, Scamp, Goliath, Warsaw, Nassau, Mistic, Broomtail, Snowy, Yellow Edge, Yellow Mouth ... that's a whole 'nother lesson! hahaha
  • A1A SportsmanA1A Sportsman Posts: 71 Deckhand
    no he didn't...................
  • seahuntetecseahuntetec Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Great information, thank you. Starting of with "Oh Boy ---here we go" probably was not necessary. Your clarification at the end of post and obvious knowledge was well received by this fishing enthusiast. Thanks again!