1st time fishing around Fort Myers Beach...Help?

Starting saturday I will have my boat and a whole week! Like a little info on fishing some of the public numbers and what not I see not to far off shore. Like to have a shot at some mangroves and grouper as well as hit some of the beaches and passes for snook an tarpon. Any suggestions or info will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rogera13rogera13 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I see on my map a artificial reef named sanibel and a large one named casuaway. Any good? Not looking for world records just want to enjoy vacation.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    rogera13 wrote: »
    I see on my map a artificial reef named sanibel and a large one named casuaway. Any good? Not looking for world records just want to enjoy vacation.
    Those public numbers are usually overfished, but your probably not going to want to spend your whole vacation looking for areas to fish. Might be your best bet. Also alot of locals and visitors stay away from those public numbers, for that very reason. Which means they are not being fished. If you get my drift. :wink
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Red grouper will be in 55 feet and deeper.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Look for little bits of relief on your bottom machine. A little contour is worth a drop or drift. Did really well the past trips out around the towers, if you dont mind the beeping from the tower lol. Last stop was in 27' of water and we quickly reached the limit on grouper. Some decent lanes mixed in as well.

Try the passes and beaches at first light and sunset for the tarpon and snook.

Vertical jigs
    Tipped jigs
    Bottom rigs
  • rogera13rogera13 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    nuclearfisn and Lead slinger thank you for the tips. It is true I don't want to spend the whole time on recon. These tips are priceless. I like to fish the moon phases and it looks like I should have a few nice evenings fishing and watching the sunset. How have the usual afternoon thunderstorms been? Last year seemed like all cleared up by 4:30ish? Live bait or cut bait or a little mix of what I can get? Here on the east coast I do more trolling so just trying to adjust.