Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Snapper around Dunedin

Hey gents. I keep hearing about the mangroves being on fire in the bay and south. I catch my share of snapper but never much size. I know the usual places like docks bridges and mangroves on high tides but I am reading about chumming for them in the flats. No spots requested but can that generally be done around the honeymoon area or anywhere in my neck of the woods? Maybe by the Chanel markers ?
Thanks

Replies

• jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    I have not found them in great numbers in that area, but I have found them in +5' of water around structure. Usually a bycatch since I don't typically target them. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Trophy-TripsTrophy-Trips Posts: 107 Officer
    Moken10 wrote: »
    Hey gents. I keep hearing about the mangroves being on fire in the bay and south. I catch my share of snapper but never much size. I know the usual places like docks bridges and mangroves on high tides but I am reading about chumming for them in the flats. No spots requested but can that generally be done around the honeymoon area or anywhere in my neck of the woods? Maybe by the Chanel markers ?
    Thanks
    Deep jettys, bridges and channel markers with a good cut out from dredging, along with any rocks and deeper water. End of summer is always a great time to target them. Best bets to load up on all the fry bait around and chum areas that look fishy, wont take long for them to show or know to move on. Been getting them up to 20in all inside.
  • Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Thank you both for the tips. I'm heading out in a small Jon boat with a buddy on Thursday. I will look around and keep you posted on how I do. I would love to get into some over 12in. Love those things!
  • Trophy-TripsTrophy-Trips Posts: 107 Officer
    Moken10 wrote: »
    Thank you both for the tips. I'm heading out in a small Jon boat with a buddy on Thursday. I will look around and keep you posted on how I do. I would love to get into some over 12in. Love those things!

clw bridges on a slow or ebb tide, clw jettys have held plenty and some good size for inshore mangos. Also been doing good north by the river. if you cant get ahold of a ton of fry and live small green backs maybe a chum block and shrimp will get it done, tiny pins was also working. just go light and long on leader with a small hook.
    Awesome man. Thank you so much for the tips!
    Just wanted to follow through, because I said I would. Went out and my buddy (boat owner) didn't have the same thoughts as I did for snappers. Didn't even try. Fished around Dunedin and saw tons of fish. We fished all day and landed a few trout in about 4 ft of water in some grass. Caught 2 nice black drum on free-lined shrimp on a higher tide along with one red that barely made 19in. Could have been better but a gorgeous day on the water.. Hope some of y'all got to go out..