Skip to main content
Home Tropics

What to do for a crossing?

BMMBMM Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I have a 2660 Sailfish boat that i trailer from Chicago to many parts of Florida every year. I want to rent a house in the Bahamas and would like to bring my boat. Do i need to check in somewhere? What's a good starting point to leave from Florida? What would i need to bring? Email me @ [email protected]

Replies

• Daniel PalinDaniel Palin Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Passports for all aboard is a MUST. Maps or GPS Cartography is quite handy. "I have the Platinum CF Card Florida/ Bahamas for my Raymarine C70 & I recommend you get the equivalent for what ever machine your using. Its a straight shot 55.3 nm from Lake Worth Inlet to West End. Customs can be cleared at West End along with a Fuel Stop. You will Have to Fly a Yellow Quarantine Flag until you clear customs, once you clear customs you can drop the Yellow Quarantine Flag and although its not Mandantory I HIGHLY SUGGEST you raise the Bahamas Courtesy Flag. Both of these can be picked up on-line, West Marine, Ebay.. There are places to stay there "Old Bahama Bay" or you can make your way further. I suggest you do your own research on places to rent, I'm sure there are lots of them there. Also do plenty of research on the internet about making the crossing "there are tons of articles, forums etc... about it. last but not least plan your trip with a day or 2 open on either leg of your trip for Weather. As the day comes closer for you to make your crossing start looking for a buddy boat to cross with. During the Summer Months there are always people crossing over so it shouldn't be much of an issue. You can view all the Customs forms etc by doing a simple google search. There are some fees associated with bringing your boat. I believe yours would only be 150.00 for your cruising permit which also covers fishing, 31' and up is 300.00 Old Bahama Bay has a few links on their site that might be helpful & of interest to you. As far as things to bring that's a tough call..... but I might suggest you have a decent tool set to work on your boat, spare parts that might go bad ie.. Spare Prop, Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter etc.... Plenty of Drinking Water. Oh and some Liquid Gain or Liquid Tide Laundry Detergent. Trust me on this, giving gifts like that to some of the locals and places you might stay will get you much better service. "gotta remember its expensive to import items to the Bahamas"
    What NOT to bring. A FIRE ARM or a SPEAR GUN You are allowed a fire arm & ammo but its quite a hassle and I believe it has to be in a locked box on your boat "the hassle from customs is not worth it" No Spearfishing in the Bahamas with a SPEAR GUN or with Scuba Equipment, Spear Fishing can ONLY be via Free Diving and Spear Pole or Hawaiian Sling Only! Don't Even have a Spear Gun on your boat!
    Hope this Tid Bit of Info Helps,
    I'll be making my first crossing June 2015
    Staying at Old Bahama Bay "Reservations already made"
  • Trit21Trit21 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    'A FIRE ARM or a SPEAR GUN You are allowed a fire arm & ammo but its quite a hassle and I believe it has to be in a locked box on your boat "the hassle from customs is not worth it""

What hassle? Been there many times and no hassle at all. Don't bring your political agenda into going to the Bahamas.
    Tom

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live: Orlando
    Boat: Ft Pierce
    2000 Tiara 3500 Open
  • ScottNKerrieScottNKerrie Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I was there 3 weeks ago. Checked in 2 fire arms and ammo. Took me 30 seconds to write down the information.
    Bluewater 2850
    Bluewater 2550 sold
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent their government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Thomas Jefferson 1787