Best fishing rods for kayak

JRRJRR Posts: 32 Deckhand
Hi i just got a kayak a few weeks ago and i have been doing some fishing with my son all i have now is a few cheep rods that i use to use when fishing on the piers i need to ins vest on a few new rod what will you guys recommend what are you guys using i am fishing in tampa bay florida thanks

Replies

• LegmarkedLegmarked Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Welcome to the Forum JRR.

You are going to get many suggestions, as it really comes down what species of fish you are targeting, and of course, your budget.

I fish mostly inshore / nearshore and personally, I prefer fast action, medium to heavy rods, 6.5' - 7.5'. My primary reel sizes are 3000 and 4000 series. I bring 3 to 4 rods, depending on where I'm going. I use braided line on all.

As far as manufacturer's, I really like what Penn has been putting out lately. The Battle and the Conquer are real nice.
    I also have Quantum, Okuma, and Abu Garcia, all of which I am happy with. It really comes down to personal preference.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Tight lines.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    I was just looking at Penn stuff to put an inshore combo together and I think I might get a 3000 battle 2 on a Penn squadron inshore rod. Seems like a decent and cost-effective combo.

Welcome aboard!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • ZEUSFLZEUSFL Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I personally use Star Rod 7'6 with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500, a Addictive fishing 7'9 Rod with a Shimano Sustain 4000, a Addictive Fishing Heavy Duty 40-80 with a Penn SpinfisherV SSV6500LL. All in braider.
  • veroyaker14veroyaker14 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I was just looking at Penn stuff to put an inshore combo together and I think I might get a 3000 battle 2 on a Penn squadron inshore rod. Seems like a decent and cost-effective combo.

Welcome aboard!
    The original Penn Battles are great with just the rod that comes with the combo, you might want to check out Wright & McGill with their Blair Wiggins signature series rods and Sabalos reels, Star Rod Stellar lites are good for inshore as well
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    I love my St Croix rods for inshore fishing. St. Croix Mojo inshore series are all great rods, as well as the tidemaster ($100-140)

I use a 6'4 MH paraflex starrod for everything offshore.. trolling, jigging, and bottom fishing. ($200)

I don't have many rods, but the few I have are top of line IMO.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Get a reel that's sealed or you'll replace it in a year(Not really a bad thing if you like getting new stuff). I dunk my outfits way more inshore than offshore. Sabalos aren't bad if you keep them out of the water, but if you dunk them they die pretty quick.
  • jershjersh Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Can't go wrong with the Penn Battle reel. I have a Battle 4000 that I love. HOWEVER, I also have a couple Penn Fierce 4000s and also an 8000, and I honestly like the Fierce just as much as the Battle, and it's about $40 cheaper. As for rods, I agree something 7'6" M or MH and ~15 lb braid will allow you to cast a mile and cover lots of water. This is probably a taboo suggestion for most but I really love the Ugly Stick Inshore Select rods. They are $50 and pretty much indestructible. Sure they are a little heavier than a $100 or $150 rod but for the $$ they are hard to beat. I also am a big fan of Hurricane Calico Jack rods.
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    Get a reel that's sealed or you'll replace it in a year

Not necessarily. I have some old Penn spinfishers that I've been kayak fishing with since the '90s. Not all of the parts are original, but a good reel won't just freeze on you if you clean and lube it regularly. Fill 'em up with grease and replace it every few months, and in the meantime just lightly oil. Also, when you do an overhaul you can give all external parts a coat of Turtle Wax. I don't think there's anything special about those Penns - any decent reel can last for years. Actually, the last reel I had freeze was my Van Staal - go figure.
    ^ I'll add that whatever reel you get, learn how to take it apart and do the maintenance yourself. Then it will last a looong time and be cheaper in the long run regardless of whether it is sealed or not.
  • JRRJRR Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I want to thanks every one for all your good recommendations I when shopping for rods and reels today I was highly considering the Battle 4000, shimano Ci4 4000 and the Battle 8000 ( for trolling) but the guy at the fish tackle shop did not recommend me the penn stuff it all so i was left with shimano and the price tag was hight so i left with out anything but i will came back next week and pick up something
    thanks
  • JRRJRR Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I also when to west marine and found this combo
    Battle 4000, Reel BTL4000, 230yds/10lb Line Capacity, Rod BTL1017S70, 7’0” L $119.00
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,416 Captain
    mapache wrote: »
    Fill 'em up with grease

I literally did this with a Penn Slammer 360 the other day. Took apart the 4 shielded bearings, cleaned all metal parts with Brake Cleaner, and packed the bearings like mini wheel bearings, with marine grease. (except no grease inside the anti-reverse bearing) then packed the other internal components with grease...like a couple ounces prob. I have no idea if that's recommended, so not suggesting it, just saying I did. I'm thinking if it gets dunked, it should be much harder for water to get into the bearings if the reel is basically displaced with grease. The handle doesn't spin quite as freely as when it was just oiled, but it is smoother, and hopefully will stay that way.
    ^ yeah careful about the anti reverse bearings, especially in the shimano stradic ci4. I'm having a rough time fixing mine: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?154621-Shimano-Stradic-ci4-anti-reverse-switch