New to Yak Fishing, Need Info / Suggestions

Hi Forum Team,

I just sold my flats boat and I may be looking at getting into Kayak Fishing to fulfill my Flamingo and Biscayne Bay Fix.

Can you chime in on what types of items I will need or should have on this yak?:huh

What would be a good type of Kayak to buy? First time buyer.:huh

Any and all of your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Andy

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Find a local dealer (can't help you there, no location listed) and demo as many boats as you can...

~12-14'
    ~Ocean Kayak- Prowler 13, Trident 13, Ultra 4.3 & 4.7 and Big Game II.
    ~Wilderness Systems- Tarpon 120/140 and Ride 135.
    ~Jackson- Cuda 12/14 and Big rig.
    ~Perception Sport- Pescador 120.
    ~Hobie- Quest (paddle), Revo 13, Outback and Pro Angler 12/14.
    ~Native- Manta Ray 12/14, Slayer and Slayer Propel.

And the list goes on and on.......
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    A good light weight paddle, expect to spend $250-350. A comfortable inflatable PFD. handheld PFD and a small dry box for your cell and wallet.

lots of info here
    http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/

Ask a mod to move this from the classified section to the no motor zone.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Home made anchor

lunch box tackle box

cooler with rodholder

better pic of cooler
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    Any kayak you can stand on, that's paramount to be able to stand as you well know. I have a Cuda 14 I wouldn't trade for the world. That big rig they came out with looks pretty awesome. I would never buy a kayak unless it has a full on seat. Any kayak worth his salt will tell you sit in kayaks are the worse you're constantly wet and hurting. Anything to anchor yourself to the bottom they made nice push pole for kayak specifically. Every kayak angler starts off with a milk crate usually with 3 rod holder on it for the back. I also suggest getting a anchor trolley really helps you position your steak out. If you're really only going to do bay and flats fishing looking at the stand up paddle boards wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Take a few hours and read through old posts. When I first got my kayak, I probably read through 11 months of all these posts. Learning curve is steep fishing from a kayak.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • kayak99kayak99 Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    Hobie Outback or if you can afford it, a 12' Hobie Pro Angler. Nothing in this class beats the ability to pedal while you fish. You can often find decent deals on this site as well as on craigslist. They are a bit on the heavy side but once in the water no weight issues.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    cpr wrote: »
    Ask a mod to move this from the classified section to the no motor zone.

Thanks, and done!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I'm in the same boat... So to speak... I tested a big rig today... Very nice. Very stable. Kinda bulky to paddle but that's the trade off I understand. My GF demo'd the coosa today as well. She really liked it. Me at 6'1 270, I felt like a football on a golf tee on it.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado