Getting Buggy BPK Mini Day 1 2014

Got down to the house yesterday to get ready for the first day of mini season. I heard several reports from neighbors about a lot of poaching in our area. One boat got caught with 100 tails behind BPK a few days ago.....:machinegun.....We got to my first spot I scouted about a month ago, got anchored, only to have a boat anchor 10 feet away from us.......:hairraiser. They told us we stole their spot and started raising hell.....o yes mini season was officially starting. I went to my next spot about 300 yards away rather than fight with the dip &@!/'s....We got our four person limit of 24 in less than an hour. There were about 30-50 bugs left by the rocks when we left.:dance All were good size, no need to measure but we always do just in case. They are really thick this year, my guess is a lot of people make multiple trips today. It will be interesting to see what is left tomorrow. My family and I had a great morning, now we just need to decide what to do for the rest of the day it's only 11:30!!! Good luck to all stay safe, have fun!!!!
2016 39 Sea Vee
2008 37 Ocean Billfish
2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
1985 Grady-White Trophy

Replies

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,124 AG
    Nice haul!

Lobbies on the grill for lunch will keep you busy for an hour or two!

Keep the feelers from the head out to the first knuckle, boil them and pop them open like crab and enjoy them as appetizers!
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 276 Deckhand
    I was going to say I can't believe someone would say that to you....but considering the setting, I understand. The whole friggin' ocean and they guy has to be an ****....you're a good man to keep your cool. You could not PAY me to go down there for mini. Good luck and keep safe.
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Way to keep your cool !

BTW that other spot you STOLE From Me .................GIVE IT BACK :wink

For the rest of the day go spear fishin'
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,990 Captain
    Congrats on a great haul and sorry to hear about the other boater, we thankfully did not encounter any of that today.
  • Fla GirlFla Girl Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Thanks Amped and good job BTW your right, it's not worth it always gotta be a **** somewhere 😉
  • Fla GirlFla Girl Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Gary M that is interesting will have to try that tomorrow
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,513 Captain
    Way to make short work of those bugs, and good call not to make a big deal out of that other guy.
  • Drewvale21Drewvale21 Posts: 315 Officer
    Haha that's ridiculous I had a few spots marked for today and I had a guy with a family on it, I don't own that rock haha so I kept moving along towards the rock. NOBODY OWNS ANYTHING OF THE OCEAN. First come first serve. Good job, I wish we had that haul haha. Goodluck Tommorow
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,700 Captain
    Way to get after them!! Looks like you have them dialed in. I'll be down Saturday for a few days of bay fishing & scouting before the regular season starts. Hope we are as fortunate as you :crossed
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 596 Officer
    Thank you for all the kind remarks! Good luck tomorrow!
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,990 Captain
    I already sense some heavy wine consumption to enjoy with a freshly caught and cooked whole hog snapper....we shall see what happens tomorrow!!
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 797 Officer
    Klinger wrote: »
    Way to get after them!! Looks like you have them dialed in. I'll be down Saturday for a few days of bay fishing & scouting before the regular season starts. Hope we are as fortunate as you :crossed

Something tells me you will be. Looking forward to your reports. We'll be in the same area 6th-10th. I'm thinking the viz will be better this year.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,869 Moderator
    Klinger wrote: »
    Hope we are as fortunate as you :crossed

I have ZERO doubt.

I'm looking forward to giving it a shot during early Sept this year. I think I'm going to like being down there without so many people. Plus, if my stuff is picked over a little, there won't be the pressure to catch our limit every day. Might also lead to more scouting and less number hitting!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Fla Girl wrote: »
    Gary M that is interesting will have to try that tomorrow

When you get a limit of 24, that's 48 'feelers' so that makes for some great appetizers! Crack 'em open with a nut cracker and enjoy a pinky-finger size piece of lobster meat!
  • FishinNoleFishinNole Posts: 407 Officer
    Great catch.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,750 Captain
    Gary M. Please talk me through the cracking & cooking process. How long do you boil? etc. I did try it & they were good but hard to crack & very difficult to get out of shell. Help please.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
    I don't catch lobsters so haven't done/seen that trick in 20-30 years! But I do recall that you need some real nut crackers to bust the meat out. If the meat is not fuly cooked, that makes it harder to get the meat out.

Got some friends coming down today and we'll no doubt go out lobstering in the next few days so I'll try my own trick! If I figure out the 'easy way' I'll post it up!