Home Egret Boats

Color choice on Egret

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
Just looking for a little public opinion. Ordering a new Egret and can not decide on color. If you were in the market for a used Egret(Hypothetically saying that I may want to sell the bird one day,but not likely!) What color do you guys think would be the easiest sell? Im looking at all white w/ a grey two toned deck or black w/ white bottom and grey two toned deck (my first choice, tho hard to clean and maintain, or the fighting lady yellow with white bottom. Any other suggestions?? I wish Egret had a color selector like other boat manufacturers so one could see an image of what different color combos would look like.This is my first build and Ill take all the genuine advice I can get. I just want to get it right and not have regrets. Have spoken with a buddy on here that knows the Egrets backwards and forward but his boat is all white so he may be a little biased on color choice. Dont blame him.... Hes got one bad a$$ bird!! Oh, btw, motor is standard color 250 SHO. Also, ive been given a hundred reasons why to powdercoat or not powdercoat handrails and poling platform... Any suggestions there would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance, BB
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    1) Never buy a boat with selling it in mind (:))
    2) White and any light pastel color usually sells well (sky blue, sea foam green, light yellow etc.). My first Egret was dark blue and look awesome clean, but was a ***** to keep waterspots off of.
    3) Powdercoat looks great, but is one more thing that can go wrong. If you garage it, perhaps. If it is outside most of the time, no way. FWIW, my first Egret was powder coated, my current is not.
    4) You could ask the owners here to post pictures of their boats and colors for comparison. Mine is 50% white with 50% green sea foam hull, 75% white mixed with 25% sea foam console and cap-deck. Frank can duplicate any color you can find at a paint store BUT keep this in mind, the more exotic the color, the more complicated gelcote repairs become.

IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg

For comparison, my friend's Moccasin at "full" sea foam green, it does not look it as much here, but it is MUCH more vivid than mine:

1384331_606215032768227_1278760616_n_zpse4944831.jpg
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Man those are some sweet rigs. Ive always owned black boats and with some proper care, they're not too bad. I do store mine in my shop( big enclosed metal building,insulated). I agree with the never buy something with intentions of selling but I always leave the back door cracked in case times ever get hard and I need to come up with cash. But then again, I do that with everything from real estate to boats. I was hinting at asking some folks to post up pics;-). If any of you guys on here could it would be much appreciated!

• rocketman1rocketman1 Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Sweet ride PolePosition. Great color combo too.
    NO HABITAT = NO FISH
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    I agree with pole position that lighter color hulls will hold their value best over time. The navy and black hulls are awesome in the showroom but rough looking once used a few years. I'm biased towards all white in boats and cars. Nothing is easier to keep looking new than a white hull. I keep mine in a climate controlled building and I still went all white for longevity. My Dad has a 8 year old all white Pathfinder that is also kept inside and it looks like it came off the showroom floor even though he fishes it twice a week and only waxes once a year. He always gets comments about his "new boat". Conversely we were in Islamorada all week tarpon fishing and looking at the boats in our canal, all the non white hulls looked awful and the white ones, even the ones not highly maintained, looked pretty good. There was a yellow hulled Egret on a lift that we were admiring last year and a year later it is so faded it was horrifying.

I did get black powder coating on my bird and would not do it again. I'm constantly worried about chipping it and fighting water spots.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    I had 2 Birds with the Atlantic blue and they sold quickly. The 2011 you called me about was Atlantic Blue and sold in 2.5 weeks. My 189 Atlantic Blue boat sold in 3 days. My new boat is Guide Green a Hells Bay color. I like it allot.Take notice to Pole Positions console color. It matches the hull sides. That is another option for you to think about. If you are going to leave it on a lift keep it white. If you are trailing it and can cover the boat and sides do the color.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,386 Officer
    White is nice! That's all i'll say! lol
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Do what you like..

I personally like ice blue with white rub rail and white powder coating...
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

Frank, have to admit, the ol heart was a bit broken when I got the news your bird was sold. Lucky dude that got her! I spoke with Frank yesterday. Deposit has been sent. Soon to be a member of the Egret fraternity:-). My gf said she was gonna call Frank A personally and see if he could expedite the process.... I'm about to drive her nuts!:-) I can not wait to ease her down the ramp and get her good and slimed up!!!! The boat that is!!:-)

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Frank, have to admit, the ol heart was a bit broken when I got the news your bird was sold. Lucky dude that got her! I spoke with Frank yesterday. Deposit has been sent. Soon to be a member of the Egret fraternity:-). My gf said she was gonna call Frank A personally and see if he could expedite the process.... I'm about to drive her nuts!:-) I can not wait to ease her down the ramp and get her good and slimed up!!!! The boat that is!!:-)

Wait until the day before you get it....You won't be able to sleep!
    Having a hard time now!!:-)

• UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I like to tell you it gets better - but it doesn't! Enjoy the build phase and anticipation. It's worth the wait for certain!
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    PS - Navy Hull over white!!!!
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    If your ever in Carrabelle I want to check that thing out when you get it.
    UFGator86 wrote: »
    PS - Navy Hull over white!!!!

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Holy crap. Love that navy. Would love to build my next boat in that color.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    reelgrimm wrote: »
    Holy crap. Love that navy. Would love to build my next boat in that color.

Looks sharp but from a fishing perspective I think a poor choice for flats folks fishing clear water. The dark profile looking up from under the water approaching the boat compared to the light colors is very substantive. I did the comparison before myself. I also found that my older darker colored teal hull often startled migrating fish on the Oceanside once they got close. When I went Ice Blue it was much stealthier. I chose a color that closely matched the color of the sky on bright days. For this reason, I prefer as little dark stuff sticking up and went all white with the platforms and leaning rails and would have done the rub rail in white too if it didn't end up looking scuffed to hell so quickly. The dark hull is also multiples in terms of difficulty to maintain appearance wise compared to lighter colors and also is not as popular in the secondary market.
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I think it's against the law or something to post pictures of my boat when you have a nice new one yourself..:):)..The blue hull is a little more to keep looking 100%..But it sure looks good when it is. I get almost as much satisfaction from cleaning it as I do fishing it. A cold Samuel Adams and nice cigar after it all gets done makes it worth it. Do not notice a difference with fish. Have had all our fish over here come right up to the boat. Have a white skiff also and can tell no difference between the two.
    Well you'll see me a good bit mc. I have a house in Lanark. I guess all the fish will have to be spooky because I went white bottom, black sides with silver emblems,light gray/white two tone deck,platform, and upholstery. 250 sho. I debated and debated myself and you just can't have a boat named Bad Behavior in any color but black;-). as far as the fish spooking, I'll just back the brakes down on the curados and sling the hell out of my super spook! Not going to plaster the sides with the name either.... Gonna have "Bad Behavior Edition" in small letters under the Egret badges. I think it'll be pretty bad A.

And btw, that navy is one sweet looking bird!!! Like you, I enjoy loving on the boats as much as getting them dirtied up!

• trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    love the color of the topcoat - what is it?
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    love the color of the topcoat - what is it?

Moondust.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    1) Never buy a boat with selling it in mind (:))
    2) White and any light pastel color usually sells well (sky blue, sea foam green, light yellow etc.). My first Egret was dark blue and look awesome clean, but was a ***** to keep waterspots off of.
    3) Powdercoat looks great, but is one more thing that can go wrong. If you garage it, perhaps. If it is outside most of the time, no way. FWIW, my first Egret was powder coated, my current is not.
    4) You could ask the owners here to post pictures of their boats and colors for comparison. Mine is 50% white with 50% green sea foam hull, 75% white mixed with 25% sea foam console and cap-deck. Frank can duplicate any color you can find at a paint store BUT keep this in mind, the more exotic the color, the more complicated gelcote repairs become.

IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg

For comparison, my friend's Moccasin at "full" sea foam green, it does not look it as much here, but it is MUCH more vivid than mine:

1384331_606215032768227_1278760616_n_zpse4944831.jpg

Hey pole position, what has been your experience with the white rub rail? I am doing in ice blue hull with white powerpole and all white console and deck cap. Frank and I agree the white rub rail will look good but how tough is it to keep up? I heard acetone works well.
    Just keep a rag and bottle of acetone handy. Everything wipes right off.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,232 Officer
    My boat has the Guide green and matching console like Poleposition's boat. I second the green. I would post a picture but the color never looks as good in a pix.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • CaptmikefCaptmikef Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Howdy,
    What would you guys think of a black hull below the water line and a white above with moon dust color deck? Does the black hull for the running surface present any maintenance or other issues? I thought black might be a good color for our area where the brackish water is always staining the white hulls.
    Thank you, Capt. Mike Foate
    Call or text 850-596-4236

Enjoy a fishing and boating lifestyle www.HibiscusByTheBay.com

02 21 MA, 02 200 Vmax HPDI, Powertech 4 blade, 8' PowerPole, Bobs 6" jp, 24v MinnKota trolling motor, Stealth Charger. Spring 2012, boat full re-wire & glass work by Bob's Shallow Water Customs
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 233 Deckhand
    I'm in the SE section and we get tannin stains as well.......I got it white and applied 2 coats of Rejex nearly 2 years ago and it's still white.....only small spots of water stain are where I missed applying Rejex.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,386 Officer
    The Black bottom will show every scratch and nick you get!
    Looks great on the trailer when new but a ***** to maintain!
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The Black bottom will show every scratch and nick you get!
    Looks great on the trailer when new but a ***** to maintain!

I went to LA to look at a black bottom boat. 3 yo boat with the black bottom looked 20 years old. White flecks everywhere. I quickly got back in the truck and came back to GA.

• CaptmikefCaptmikef Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input you guys. :-)
    Thank you, Capt. Mike Foate
    Call or text 850-596-4236

Enjoy a fishing and boating lifestyle www.HibiscusByTheBay.com

02 21 MA, 02 200 Vmax HPDI, Powertech 4 blade, 8' PowerPole, Bobs 6" jp, 24v MinnKota trolling motor, Stealth Charger. Spring 2012, boat full re-wire & glass work by Bob's Shallow Water Customs