Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore July 27, 2014 Horrible then Great

I went out Sunday with my friend Gunner on his early 70's 22 foot Stamas. Its such a great classic little boat. I am always excited when he invites me. It was me, Gunner and our buddy Doug. The weather was great which made for a nice ride out. Our first several stops resulted in nothing unless you count the red hot squirrel fish bite I was on. After several hours, all we had to show for it was a handful of lane snapper and a couple mangroves. It looked to be, "one of those days." At around lunchtime Gunner headed for a spot he said he hadn't been to in many years. It was a good choice. We all dropped baits with low expectations and were all instantly hooked up to keeper fish. Every bait we dropped was eaten by a keeper fish. We quickly got our three fish each and then caught a bunch more that were released. What an attitude changer. It made me wonder what the difference was.

Here is the video of the trip.

http://youtu.be/bWhS4Ho-cJ4

Replies

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,174 AG
    sagory wrote: »
    I went out Sunday with my friend Gunner on his early 70's 22 foot Stamas. Its such a great classic little boat. I am always excited when he invites me. It was me, Gunner and our buddy Doug. The weather was great which made for a nice ride out. Our first several stops resulted in nothing unless you count the red hot squirrel fish bite I was on. After several hours, all we had to show for it was a handful of lane snapper and a couple mangroves. It looked to be, "one of those days." At around lunchtime Gunner headed for a spot he said he hadn't been to in many years. It was a good choice. We all dropped baits with low expectations and were all instantly hooked up to keeper fish. Every bait we dropped was eaten by a keeper fish. We quickly got our three fish each and then caught a bunch more that were released. What an attitude changer. It made me wonder what the difference was.

Here is the video of the trip.

http://youtu.be/bWhS4Ho-cJ4

[video=youtube_share;bWhS4Ho-cJ4]

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I love it how everyone is stepping up their game with the videos. I feel like a total slacker for posting just picks. Thanks for sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Technology! The videos are pretty easy to do it just takes a little time. Usually takes me about an hour or so and alot of that is waiting for the videos to load into the program. I think its fun making them. Its a great way to remember the day. I feel like I need to take more pictures I have gotten away from it.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,213 Moderator
    A fun day on the water, I love it when perseverance pays off. Pics are always good! Great vid, I need to get a gopro.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Great day!

In response to the video statements - I'd rather just see a picture than have to watch a video.

You can grab a still shot off the video - no problems there. Find how to capture and you'll have it.
  • NATIVEFLANGLERNATIVEFLANGLER Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Nice report! At what depth were you fishing and out of what area?
  • sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    We fish out of the south side of Tampa Bay and fished in about 100ft.