Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Palm Bch Fish Co recap (Sailfish, SMOKER, Skipjack, STUD RAINBOW Runner 7/25-7/27)

Been VERY busy last couple days on Dirtyfin / Palm Beach Fish Co . Bmac on the wheel, E$ in the cockpit, and “LD” on FILLING the calendar / back office.

Had repeat customer Jerry from Oklahoma out and it was a slow trip. (Jumped off a sail on troll, caught 6 or 8 Bonitas and a BFT for 1/2 day). Kept 3 bonitas for strip baits released the others
Rain pushed us offshore and the boats inside got pummeled! :banghead :hairraiser

Then we had Roby and Louise who recently moved to FL. VERY nice people and we caught a snake king (on strip bait) MANY large summertimes on troll. We rodeo’s a few bonitas to the Bull / Hammerheads, and few bottom fish. (Blue Runners, Rainbows etc). Had a sail eat shotgun on troll. !! :angel

Next trip was “the twins” and family (1/2 from Mia, 1/2 from Carolinas.)
What a super fun family and VERY competent anglers. We caught a box of Bonitas, (on edge) and a NICE Skipjack out in 450. :cool:
Missed one other bite, called it a day. Again, we used roped off bonitas to chum up sharks and got some rainbows and blue runners, grunts, triggers etc,
The Girls were great and VERY competent on the rod. Dad was enthusiastic and treated crew right (we appreciate U)

This AM we had Suzie, Matt, and their baby girl Layla. (Plus the grandparents)
Started out on troll down S. Had a big mullet get smoked, then checked, cut in 1/2.
Reset, made a pass and rod is screaming! Mrs Howard catches her first “smoker” and it is a slob over 30lbs!!
Make another pass a HUGE LOG skied 15’ up and misses shotgun by inches!! Actually hit bait, cut strip in 1/2 missing hook by less than 1/2 inch.
(how do they do that)

Catch a football BFT and some summertimes then set up on a drift.
Oh boy deep bait gets smoked! Get fish up and am VERY surprised to see the biggest Rainbow Runner I have ever seen!
This Rainbow was a fighter and woofed down a HUGE gog intended for a king or wahoo!!
I did not weigh fish would guess12-15lbs at almost 4’ long and fat. They are a great fish for sushi!!!! (and sashimi etc)
Chummed a bit and caught 3 more rainbows when a sail ate left long!! Had him on for a minute, but sail spit got after 3rd jump.
Was a big smart “resident fish” and cool to get a show. Catch several more Bonitas, Blue runners and fed a few sharks and back to the dock.

Overall we have had to work for quality edible fish in 86 degree water. Water very dirty this AM, but by 11 w IC tide and 3.7 knots of current it was cobalt blue passed 90’>

Birds are having rainbow runner tonight and peace and love to u and your’s . E$ out
USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
[url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
(I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
[email protected]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Stud RR!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • MedcinMnMedcinMn Posts: 135 Officer
    So we're at Sailfish Marina this guy walks by me and I think "hey that looks like E$, but since I've never met him I'm not sure". By the time we finished lunch you were gone, will say hi next time. Nice work today!
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    Nice job & report! How do you rig the strips? Do you run them behind a lure? After catching 15 bonito on Saturday.......thinking I should probably keep a couple for strips.
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    bambam78 wrote: »
    Nice job & report! How do you rig the strips? Do you run them behind a lure? After catching 15 bonito on Saturday.......thinking I should probably keep a couple for strips.

Sorry I missed you MedcinMn!
    BamBam 78 nice to hear from you!
    | am not yet an expert on strips but I'll say this. Belly section works best and thin out the meat to about 1/4 inch.
    Then brine and cut into shape w tail end coming to tapered point! Some of the old school guys have it down to a science!
    (some have made "templates") My best luck so far has been using an islander or sea witch ahead of sytip and use a double x 8/0 or 9/0 stainless hook(s). On longer strips 2 hooks preferred but a bit tougher to get double hook strips to swim perfect.
    Pink sea witch, blue white or black purple seem hot (lots of options to run on planer or wire rod etc)
    Good luck!!
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    That is a HUGE RR!!!!!

I fished with some guys down in Ft. Lauderdale and there were strictly strips. Worked pretty darn good, but never tried it up here. They would run single hook, about 6 in strip with a hole in one end to wire it to the rig then insert the hook in strip where it falls. They ran strictly sea witch of various colors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    Love your reports e$.
    Amazing RR! Didn't know they get that big, I have a little bit left in my freezer need to catch more.

Pura Vida!
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,404 Captain
    Nice job EMONEY as usual.
    Regards the strips, you should def check them out but I just wanted to comment that they are not gonna help weed out the bonitas. Farther out/deeper or faster is about all you can do on that.
    brianb wrote: »
    Regards the strips, you should def check them out but I just wanted to comment that they are not gonna help weed out the bonitas. Farther out/deeper or faster is about all you can do on that.

Depends on how big a strip! LOL
    Thx Brian, Shoeless, Big Bill and all!!
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    e-money wrote: »
    BamBam 78 nice to hear from you!
    | am not yet an expert on strips but I'll say this. Belly section works best and thin out the meat to about 1/4 inch.
    Then brine and cut into shape w tail end coming to tapered point! Some of the old school guys have it down to a science!
    (some have made "templates") My best luck so far has been using an islander or sea witch ahead of sytip and use a double x 8/0 or 9/0 stainless hook(s). On longer strips 2 hooks preferred but a bit tougher to get double hook strips to swim perfect.
    Pink sea witch, blue white or black purple seem hot (lots of options to run on planer or wire rod etc)
    Good luck!!

Thanks Eric! Appreciate the info. Will give it a shot.

Keep up the great work!
    brianb wrote: »

10-4. Thanks Brian. Just figured I might as well use the "free" bait.
    bambam78 wrote: »
    10-4. Thanks Brian. Just figured I might as well use the "free" bait.
    Free is good!
    Here is a preview of something special that happened today for lady jr angler on her first ever fishing trip!!
    Working on a company slogan! IE :angel
    "Wanna catch fish"
    "Call the Dirtyfin Boyz"!! LOL :grin Bmac puts you on em, E$ keeps lines tight thereafter!! :grin :hail:angel:spin
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]