Red Snapper Research

Team_SeaShiftTeam_SeaShift Posts: 48 Deckhand
I have a very good friend who is a Capt. over in Ponce Inlet and for the past 3 days has had FWC Scientists on board, they caught around 100 Red Snapper with an average weight of 19lbs...they killed them all to collect DNA samples??? Do you know anything about this and why would they do this just before season on the Atlantic side, when in years past the scientists have also taken samples on the docks....seems to me if they can just go out and kill 100 just in the name of science...are they really endangered??? Hopefully you can shed some light or offer insight's into this practice.

Thanks

Replies

  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    100 is nothing, there are millions and millions of the darn things out there, hopefully they are trying to prove that. Not that that hasn’t already been done.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Team_SeaShiftTeam_SeaShift Posts: 48 Deckhand
    surfman wrote: »
    100 is nothing, there are millions and millions of the darn things out there, hopefully they are trying to prove that. Not that that hasn’t already been done.
    I can't agree more with you that is why I find this irritating why go out and kill a bunch right before season when your gonna have a bunch coming in in 2 weeks now...I have thrown so many overboard it would make you puke but then they just come out and kill them...where did the meat go?? To me it just says hey we know there is a high population but we just like having the powers of regulating a season.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,755 Captain
    I know a person in the marine biology field who does this type of research as well as pull nets etc.. He told me the meat is given to food banks etc. It is not wasted from what he told me. I jokingly asked if his freezer was full, and he said they are not allowed to keep any.
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    True story. I know the guys doing the project. They are doing some pretty cool stuff. Sometimes animals must be sacrificed to learn more about them. If you have a way to analyze stomach contents, take histology and genetic samples, weigh the internal organs, and remove the otoliths(to age it) from the fish's skull without killing the fish, we're all ears. Because that would be great.

    Remember, they are not killing the fish for the sake of fun. They are learning more about this very important (both commercially and recreationally) species so that better management policies can be made. People always whine about bad data, bad science, etc. These scientists have no agenda and will let the data speak for itself. Our scientific protocols are very rigorous (FWRI), even down to the amount of time the hook can be on the bottom (2 minutes, then reel up), eliminating as many variables as possible, leading to robust papers that are able to withstand the brutal peer review process.

    These folks also had to cancel a bunch of days last month, due to wind/seas, so they had to get out when they could, which is now.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    As long as the state is doing it then it is a good thing, the fed however is very much agenda driven, they have demonstrated that pretty well.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,283 Admiral
    surfman wrote: »
    As long as the state is doing it then it is a good thing, the fed however is very much agenda driven, they have demonstrated that pretty well.
    Who do you think uses the results?:wink:grin
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    If that was true then why is it such a big deal for the states to manage the fishery and kick the fed out. All I am hearing is how the states don’t have the data that the fed has. I know that is BS, the states just don’t have the creative statisticians that the fed has. They will manage the fishery for the best use, not just to prop up one group of favorites.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 997 Officer
    Geez, I don't care if they kill them, I'm just impressed with the avg size... 19 lbs
  • Exempt Fisheries Permit
  • Team_SeaShiftTeam_SeaShift Posts: 48 Deckhand
    I understand the need for science and samples, etc....I was just wondering why they could not collect at the docks as well not a single FWC or scientist was at the new ramp in Ponce, just thought there would be a large amount of fish coming in that would offer some of the same abilities to collect and allow people to fill freezers. If they needed them fresh why not catch them after season is over so that during the season the spots aren't partially cleaned out.???
    FWCSnook wrote: »
    True story. I know the guys doing the project. They are doing some pretty cool stuff. Sometimes animals must be sacrificed to learn more about them. If you have a way to analyze stomach contents, take histology and genetic samples, weigh the internal organs, and remove the otoliths(to age it) from the fish's skull without killing the fish, we're all ears. Because that would be great.

    Remember, they are not killing the fish for the sake of fun. They are learning more about this very important (both commercially and recreationally) species so that better management policies can be made. People always whine about bad data, bad science, etc. These scientists have no agenda and will let the data speak for itself. Our scientific protocols are very rigorous (FWRI), even down to the amount of time the hook can be on the bottom (2 minutes, then reel up), eliminating as many variables as possible, leading to robust papers that are able to withstand the brutal peer review process.

    These folks also had to cancel a bunch of days last month, due to wind/seas, so they had to get out when they could, which is now.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,280 Officer
    I understand the need for science and samples, etc....I was just wondering why they could not collect at the docks as well not a single FWC or scientist was at the new ramp in Ponce, just thought there would be a large amount of fish coming in that would offer some of the same abilities to collect and allow people to fill freezers. If they needed them fresh why not catch them after season is over so that during the season the spots aren't partially cleaned out.???

    LOL! The "spots" aren't anywhere near partially cleaned out. If you're bottom fishing out there red snapper get to be vermin/pests there are so many of them. When you can regularly pull 50 RS off each spot they have long since passed the endangered status. NMFS is a joke.
Sign In or Register to comment.